Ram SRT question...

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was definetly going to get a QC. Is the suspension that much different compared to a regular ram? I have a couple of 1500s and it pulled just fine. Now i went to a avalanche it pulls like crap. This truck also would be my DD. So i thought it would be cool to have a truck with power and have it tow as well.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as fuel mileage for a DD...I get 9 in the city and 13 on the highway. The ride is harsh, but the brakes are great. I have an '05 quad cab I use as a DD and it isn't bad for the 5 miles or so that I travel each day, but if I think I'd rather have an '09 Ram with the new suspension...and better fuel mileage. The automatic transmission has a voracious appetite for horsepower and I've read that the rear wheel hp numbers are around 385. I got mine from my father so I'm not too worried about how it was treated, but I'd be leary of buying one from someone I didn't know because it would probably have been driven pretty hard.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was definetly going to get a QC. Is the suspension that much different compared to a regular ram? I have a couple of 1500s and it pulled just fine. Now i went to a avalanche it pulls like crap. This truck also would be my DD. So i thought it would be cool to have a truck with power and have it tow as well.
The front suspension on the SRT Rams is not drastically different, but the upper and lower A-arms, springs, shocks, anti-sway bar, and a few other components are specific to those trucks.
It's REALLY hard to swap suspension parts between a regular Ram and the SRT.
The Ram SRT models are built on the 2500 diesel frame.

This is just me talking/typing, but if I'm going to pull anything bigger than a pair of jet skis, I'd get a Cummins-powered/diesel ride.
The torque they deliver is fantastic, and the MPG is pretty good as well. No- it won't do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, but it will get your 5th wheel from Memphis to Yellowstone and back without missing a beat or breathing heavy.
Gale Banks has chips and programmers for them, so tweaking is possible and pretty economic.
There are a few "french fry" kits for them as well: For about $4K, you can run your truck on used vegetable oil. :) Yes- your exhaust will smell like cooked fries. :D

As far as fuel mileage for a DD...I get 9 in the city and 13 on the highway. The ride is harsh, but the brakes are great. I have an '05 quad cab I use as a DD and it isn't bad for the 5 miles or so that I travel each day, but if I think I'd rather have an '09 Ram with the new suspension...and better fuel mileage. The automatic transmission has a voracious appetite for horsepower and I've read that the rear wheel hp numbers are around 385. I got mine from my father so I'm not too worried about how it was treated, but I'd be leary of buying one from someone I didn't know because it would probably have been driven pretty hard.
Yeah, the 48RE is a HP black hole. 385 is pretty damn low. 400-420 RWHP is about the average for the QC's (about 450-470 RWHP is the average for the RC's).
Now, spend a few bucks on a SCT tuner and some programs from Roe or DC and WHAMMO!!!!
You'll be surprised at what a simple tune can do with the trucks, and esp. the QC's. Mine felt like I had a brand new engine.

Oh, and ditch the cats (if legal in your area).
That's an instant 30-35 RWHP.
Dyno proven time and again.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No- it won't do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, .

Well, that depends on if I build it or not! :D:rolaugh:

Yes you can get your cummins to pump out 800 hp/ 1800 ft lb and will get about 25 mpg on hwy. :yay: Should be enough to cover your trailer.

I do love diesels! Cant beat em when you get to towing situations! :nana:

Kevan - Learn something new everyday. Did not know they used the Cummins frame.