Rear Ended in GTS and have a quick question

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was driving the wife's GTS on Friday to get it inspected. On the way home I was rear ended while stopped at a light. Not real bad, maybe a 5 or 10 MPH Collision.

I have the guy who hit me's insurance info and filed a claim.

My main question is how sturdy is the skeleton / foam under the rear bumper cover? Should I be concerned that there may be damage underneath the bumper cover that I can not see? The cost for the Skeleton is $1850.

Thanks
Ed

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rebar is pretty stout but I'd have the bumper cover pulled to inspect everything like the frame horns in the rear. One of the concepts is the rebar is a sacrificial part, meaning they will need replacement.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
What excuse did the guy give you for not stopping? Mesmerized by the sexiness of the GTS?

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What excuse did the guy give you for not stopping? Mesmerized by the sexiness of the GTS?

Funny thing is I don't think he even cared. He did not even apologize once, I even apologized for being upset at the situation. Typical Pennsylvania drivers not paying attention, texting or talking on the phone. :dunno:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got rear ended a few months ago at 5-10mph as well. Just had to repaint the bumper, there was no serious damage at all...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my Gen 1 rear fascia off long ago to install a trailer hitch. Just under the urethane fascia is a stiff styrofoam "bumper" that keeps the fascia from sagging. It ran the width of the car and was molded on one side to fit snug in the fascia; it was molded on the inner side to mate with a fiberglass bumper. This fiberglass piece is what you may have thought was made from metal. There were no shock absorbers.

If you have dented the rear bumper, then the styrofoam is identically dented and won't spring back into shape. Sorry for old, old analog video camera pic.

Last edited:

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing is I don't think he even cared. He did not even apologize once, I even apologized for being upset at the situation. Typical Pennsylvania drivers not paying attention, texting or talking on the phone. :dunno:

should have punched him in the mouth then said you were sorry.:omg:

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a two pics, no dents in the rear bumper. 95% of the marks buffed off, still some small scratches in the clear. Will have to get it painted in a month when I get back from vacation. I buffed it off for now, so I would not have to look at it in the garage all jacked up.

BEFORE BUFFING
GTS_Hit_Before.JPG

AFTER BUFFING
GTS_Hit_After_Buffing.JPG

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing is I don't think he even cared. He did not even apologize once,

In this litigious society, we are instructed by the insurance company (and lawyers) to not admit fault. Sure we want to apologize when we screw up because that's how most of us were taught by our parents when we were growing up.

Bob

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh:Hmmmm.... how about a trailer for the whole car and a hitch on your truck ?:omg:

Because it's way more fun to drive a Viper with a trailer than drive a truck trailering a Viper.

But seriously... :D

I can keep the small trailer loaded with tires, tools, and jack and wheel it around by hand. Installing the ball is a few seconds and wiring is only the lights.

Getting a car trailer ready (and I used to have one) means back up truck, get tires and tools to throw in the back, connect trailer, fiddle with brake controller, get low angle ramps, drive up car, strap down, unstrap, drive off from trailer... Find long place to park.

Either way I have to change 4 tires and the whole process is quicker and physically easier with the small trailer.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now the Carfax is going to show that your car was in an accident. Might want to go after his insurance company for "Diminished Value" as discussed on several recent threads.

Glad no one was hurt.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, you should fabricate a trailer hitch and get yourself a trailer. I'm sure it would two-upsman mine! Then you could trailer home all that white paint and those cleaning materials for the underside of your car instead of posing them in your trunk!

Besides, I'd never join a club that had someone like me as a member.

Dave and Nadine... what they each do with their car.... interesting comparison.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte