rear turbo

tony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the chance to purchase a rear turbo kit for my 1997gts.The good part is that it is coming off a 1997gts.all the plumbing is already done! should be a bolt on job.It is a 80mm size turbo single. the gentalman claims it will do 700rwhp on a stock engine,he says his engine is stock. also to get that 700hp he runs 13psi of boost. the turbo is brand new. all this for 4500$ what do you all think?

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that on the Alley and on Ebay. What does the present owner do for fuel beside the BAP? You'd still have to buy injectors, wouldn't you? Then of course a dyno tune. Does anything need cutting/trimming for all the pipework? 13psi sounds like a lot of boost for "only" 700rwhp.

It is a neat setup, though. I just thought it was priced a little high for what basically amounts to a turbo, scavenger pump, and a bunch of pipe, but what do I know? I assume all the pipe is stainless, at least?

99TURBO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony- I originally built that kit for the guy you are talking about. The kit came with as 76mm turbo it can make that power with the 76mm. With the 80mm you should get some more top end power. The 80mm unit is a real nice t4 unit, it has a turbonetics new gen wastegate and two godzilla blow off valves and air to air intercooler. The parts alone (Without the stainless bends and piping, silcone hoses etc...) are worth more than that. Not to mention that does not include the cost of fabricating it all. But thats just my opinion :) boost is just a measure of backpressure. When this kit was originally designed it was suppose to compete with the roe, and the paxton. Racing website says the gen 2 will make 597rwhp/621tq on stock motor and 694/735 with head and cam (8psi). The rear mount will do about 700rwhp/850-900tq with stock motor. I think the paxton will make about 580-90rwhp on 8psi stock motor. They are all nice setups.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that on the Alley and on Ebay. What does the present owner do for fuel beside the BAP? You'd still have to buy injectors, wouldn't you? Then of course a dyno tune. Does anything need cutting/trimming for all the pipework? 13psi sounds like a lot of boost for "only" 700rwhp.

It is a neat setup, though. I just thought it was priced a little high for what basically amounts to a turbo, scavenger pump, and a bunch of pipe, but what do I know? I assume all the pipe is stainless, at least?

Remember you are charging an intake pipe with boosted air all the way from the back of the car where the turbo is mounted. The typical front/side mount turbos are naturally closer to the engine and therefore more efficient.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this photo of a rear mount turbo on a Viper. Don't remember where it was though... Clearance is obviously an issue.
trran_002.jpg

trran_004.jpg

OP
OP
T

tony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know what the clearance is ,gotta ask the guy. it does not come with the fuel system i have to purchase it seperate along with a vec2. i do have to cut 2 holes 3inches in diameter in the passenger front wheel well and thats it im going to see the kit on the car and see if i like it then decide. it does seem like a good value for the money, and the turbo is brand new like you said. i like the fact that it is made and already plumbed for my car,no major fabricatioin has to be done.In the end it should all cost around 7 thousand. not to shabby for all that horse power.

OP
OP
T

tony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have to ask about about injectors, although he did say the motor is all stock,but never assume,the old saying it will make an ass out of u and me. what fuel system would you guys reccomend,i also would like to be able to change the amount of boost at will, do they make a boost regulator where it could be done from inside the car at the push of a button. i got a lot to learn about this stuff, buy thats what makes it so fun!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not knocking the setup - it's basically the same as an STS kit, and I like the idea of putting the turbo and most of the piping where it won't melt everything. 700rwhp is nothing to sneeze at, either. Is there some kind of bracket holding up the turbo? Can anything be done to improve the ground clearance (although it sure looks like the one in the pic above is on a lowered car and that the oil supply line is one branch in the road away from ruining his day)?

I didn't know it came with an intercooler, BOVs, etc., which certainly add $$ to the cost. I didn't think it needed an intercooler as one of the benefits promoted by a rear-mount is that the extensive piping helps the charge-air dissipate heat.

If someone could address the ground clearance issue and find a way to work around any cutting, it would seem to be a cost-effective alternative to the basic S/C kits. Take pics when you check it out in person!

99TURBO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree in that pic the car is lowered . The oil supply is on top, but line under car that you see is the return line. It shoud have been looped around front of the turbo (up and over) so it does not hang that low. If you are going to run a front mount IC (air/air) you will have to cut two holes inside behind the fog lamps in the plastic in front of the wheel. Most if not all the turbo kits have to cut holes in the same place, this kit probably requires the least amount of cutting . In my opinion:)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm, for the cost of a Roe sc (including Vec3) you can buy a used Single Turbo system that makes about 100hp more? What about the injectors - who buys those? Stockers are nearly 100% dutycycle with 420rwhp. Tuning should be a lot of fun. Have you asked the seller if he has a program for the Vec so that you have a starting point for tuning?

EBC/Electronic Boost Controller System from HKS is about $1,000. The one I have on my Stealth doesn't allow boost past 10-14# of boost (unreliable) and my car is set to run 19#

Guess you could call Sean Roe and see if he would have a base program for a single Turbo?

Lots of luck. I'd want to test drive the car and compare it to a Roe before I commited to all that work. The pictures show that it doesn't have enough ground clearance for the turbo, BOV, exhaust, oil line, etc. Not only would I not run a car that could have engine parts torn off the car because of the parts hanging below the frame, it's illegal everywhere.

Ted

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes guys That photo was during tuning and the car was lowered I like the car that low, but i'm sure thats just my taste.
(but that was not the correct wheels those were off of a genI and bald while the others were on order, needed something on the car to tune it) the oil line was just there for tuning as we played with the turbo.

Your normal height clearence form turbo to the ground is 7 1/2 inches. I just like the lowered look.

That is A bad photo My Viper would not ever be that dirty again that comes from tuning in the dead winter. all piping is polished SS.

I have some photos from the Chicago DUB show I could email just let me know.
I put about 4500 Miles on the car in traffic and driving back and forth to ST. Louis she still drives like a stocker until you punch it. (76mm regular turbo) with the new 80mm I have not nailed because its not tuned but she pulls real nice.

99 Turbo done nice work on the build for the kit. I just added a few more details to put my on finger print on it.

And the sound of that 80mm Ball bearing turbo sounds GREAT!!! on the high way you do get even the motorcycles attention all they hear is that Turbo:2tu:

99TURBO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King- If you get a chance post some pics

RTTTed- The blow off valves in the front of the car, in the engine bay on top. Are you talking about the wastegate????

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTTTed this rear mount might just hurt your roe on just my A setting. With race gas Your done! like I said I made it That low on purpose. and theres nothing hanging that low the car was being tuned at the time.

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a rear mount turbo that made good power in the mid range but fell off on the top end. Is this the same car?

Can you post a dyno sheet for this car?

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same car Red Snake Thats Why I got the 80MM Ball bearing turbo. The one on the dyno sheet was a non bearing 76mm. Dont have any with the 80mm at this time. If you have an email I can send you photos to post, if you dont mind.

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any one is interested for a few more bucks I may be able to include the progamed VecII with two cards with the kit. I may have a deal coming with an aem.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RTTTed this rear mount might just hurt your roe on just my A setting. With race gas Your done!

Not sure what you mean? Your A setting has gone faster than 10.5@139mph on PS1s? Without my Nitrous and me running 91 gas right?

Actually right now I have a tuning issue. I ported the heads in Aug and made my tune farther out of whack. Now I'm trying to find a tuner that's smarter than I am. Found two and they're both a 500mi drive each way. Hopefully a tune will put my hp on street gas near 800 without the Nitrous. If I could imagine a use for more power I could always use a 12# pulley.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte