Rearend seeping after broken half shaft.....

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if it started seeping before or after the recently broken half shaft.. But it seems to be coming from the bottom of the diff cover. Anyone experience this?

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well there might actually be a correlation... If memory serves me correctly the rear diff mount is on the cover? I'm guess the half shaft snapped from wheelhop, which also disturbed the seal of the cover due to the mount being on it. Was a common problem on the cobra platform I came from. Are all the bushings in good shape on your diff man?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do 2 new/better halfshafts, all new seals and gaskets and new fluid;)

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to check the diff bushings today. Do you think i should try and re-torque the rear diff cover bolts to spec and see if that stops the leak?

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, i talked to him. I'm literally less than 2 miles to his shop. Since my car is in my garage jacked up already, I'm going to install the shafts then drive it over there for inspection. If it needs new seals, I will have him replace them all and change the bushings while he is in there.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When installing new halfshafts, do i use red or blue locktite on the strap bolts?

I have used blue successfully multiple times. The oem bolts come with a preapplied thread lock, however, if it has hardened remove it and reapply the blue. The diff stubs could also be the source of the leak. They have a seal that could have been damaged.

When you tighten the u-bolts, if you use a 1/4 inch drive (8 MM) socket it is easier to get square with the nut. I use a 1/4 inch socket and 6 inch extension, then, adapt to a 3/8 inch drive and torque wrench.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang