Recall 998/ oil filter/ fraud/ help please!

Peter A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry to bother you all with this. I haven’t been monitoring the board regularly for the past year, so I apologize if this is a well discussed topic.

The facts: In June 2002 I had the 998 recall done.
In Feb. 03 I went to change my oil and found the gussets that were installed in the recall blocked my access to the oil filter so I backed off and decided to let the dealer perform the change.
In Feb. 04, having found some discussion of this recall on the board, I decided to see if I could maneuver the oil filter in such a way as to get it out myself using a technique suggested on the board. I again decided that I didn’t need the hassle but I decided to mark the filter to make sure that the dealer changed it.

Surprise! Surprise! The filter was not changed.

I now consider this an act of fraud as I paid for an oil and filter change. I also am deeply disappointed in that I have defended this dealer in the past when it got bad press.

Questions: Has Dodge ever made good on the recalls that were done wrong?
Has anyone had this happen to them and how did they resolve it?
Does Dodge have a methodology for resolving such an issue?
As I don’t want to get the innocent in trouble only the SOB who didn’t change the filter should I start my complaint with Dodge, the owner of the dealership or the service writer?

I did not do anything about the faulty recall because I don’t drive the car hard, but now I’m mad and want this taken care of!

Thanks

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to make light of your situation, but this has happened to many people! Some suggested just what you did and when they could not complete the oil change due to the improper way the recall was completed, the Viper owners had the dealership dead to rights! I would definitely go back and make a large deal out of the fact that the oil filter was not changed and that the Viper tech did not bring up the fact to you, that the recall was done incorrectly. I found out myself that my 96 was also done incorrectly and will be heading back to the dealership to get the situation corrected, but due to the fact my car is a Gen I and the oil filter is located differently, I have no problem with getting the filter off. Good luck and please report back if the issue was resolved and which dealership is this?

Mike

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions: Has Dodge ever made good on the recalls that were done wrong?
Has anyone had this happen to them and how did they resolve it?
Does Dodge have a methodology for resolving such an issue?

Chrysler will take no responsibility in incorrectly installed recalls. Eventhough it is the instructions that are wrong. They will deny they had any wrong doing because if they do it would open up the flood gates for litigation. The only they will do is recommend a dealer that has experience in performing the recalls and/or will repair any incorrect procedures.

OP
OP
P

Peter A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to each of you for the information. I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow and your advice will be helpful.

Yes, Pete, I think this is the dealer you are thinking of. I will post a follow up with the dealer name and how he resolves this once it's concluded.

Thanks.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably have a different dealer do the repair and this one has already proven themself unrealiable and inept, alongwith misleading and untrustworthy. The vipertech doing the oilchange had the duty to let someone know something was wrong! Instead they basically charged you for $80 worth of oil that was worthless the minute they started the car. I would have a word with the Zone service manager of whatever area you are talking about, get the number from the service manager. And ask him how Dodge will make correct the errors their people have made on you vehicle and restore your trust enought to bring you 60k+ car back in for service.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, if they (DC) provided the instructions to do the work (recall) then they are liable for it to some degree. pursue it like a pitbull.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my recall done just before winter, I hope its right, I didn't even check, NICE!!!
What do I look for???

FLX109

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Peter A,
I have to date corrected 11 998/999 Recalls that have been done WRONG by other Dealers and DC has paid me for the time and materials! After DC paid me for the corrections they charged it back to the Dealers that had performed it incorrectly! [I love it!! :D ]
I have completed 114 of the 998/999 Recalls CORRECTLY. If you would like, give me a call and we can talk about the Recall.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
FLX109 just look up at oil filter and see if you will have enough room to drop it down after unscrewing it...don't worry, as it is easy to tell...but be SURE to check this BEFORE you unscrew the filter.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would kill a tech that did something that stupid. I haven't seen the instructions for repair but it happens so frequently that DC needs to make very clear not to block the filter.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody can make a mistake....like screwing up the recall. But to not change the filter/not tell you the recall was hosed/charge you for the filter......that is inexcusable !!
I wonder, do you know if the same tech did the recall and oil change ? The blame will be passed around the shop....guaranteed.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few folks here have stated that Dodge gave wrong instructions regarding placement of the brackets for the recall. Does anyone have a copy of those instructions?

I got a copy of the recall the second day after it was announced and it shows the correct placement of the brackets (i.e. forward facing) Or was it that some of the brackets were labeled incorrectly "L" and "R"?

Thanks.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget DC and forget the Dodge dealer, go straight to civil court and then across the hall to the criminal court. When you get home call your local newspaper and then the TV channels, they all love "dirty" stories! The next time they may "forget" to put in the oil or maybe the brake pads. You need to stop them before they kill you or someone else!

PS I am not a Lawyer!

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter,
Don't be naive enough to think that this is the first time they have done something like this. No First Time Crook is dumb enough or unlucky enough to get caught the first time they do something wrong. Also, don't be shy about naming the dealer, your friends and neighbors all need to know about it too! The apathy in the world is unbelievable and service after the sale is a myth!! I made a little PISS-ON boy decal that looks great above the "Spitzer" logos on my 6 Dodge products. They didn't ask me to put the logo on my vehicles and I didn't ask them if they cared where my decal went. Maybe a class-action lawsuit for every one that has an un-wanted car dealer decal on their vehicle??

Not sure if you couldn't put a remote filter on your car to quick fix the problem? I would take the car to another dealer and get it fixed correctly! If DC won't pay for it, sue them too! Let the courts decide who caused the problem.
It's lucky that you marked the filter, just think what would have happened in the future after the 4th or 5th filter "change". Your warranty would be done and your dealer would be telling you that a new engine would be $15,000 installed!

Regards!
Sam

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at mine without jacking, used a ruler, and it looks like I have aprox a 1/2, maybe a little more, before the filter touches, then it looks like I would have to tilt it over to the side a 1/2 to clear the frame, how much drop do I need to clear the threaded stem inside the filter?

FLX

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FLX109,

If the recall was done correctly the filter should have no obstruction immediately below it. It's pretty easy to tell if you can get it out or not.

Janni,

From what I understand the brackets were mislabeled from R to L. Maybe some kits were correct and others were wrong.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When is Dodge ever going to get serious about this? This ***** happens all the time and it is plain stupid and ignorant for this to be happening. Dodge needs to implement serious fines to the dealers whose techs continue to display their incompetence on something that has been going on for years. Or how about a public flogging of the next tech in front of his fellow mechanics? Probably would increase awareness of this problem.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GA VCA Members let this be a warning! We all know who the dealer is & the horror stories that go with it. The amazing thisng is when outside area members ask us to check out a car there we always say no way, but they end up buying there anyways. We have two club friendly dealers in the area, Ringgold Dodge & JD @ Marietta Dodge.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see my filter, I haven't jacked the car up yet but there is a liitle bit of overlap of the steel plate that was welded in, maybe a 1/2 inch over the filter.

FLX

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it even necessary to do this recall? From the recall description, it seems that the problem occurs in racing Vipers and not in touring Vipers. So why deal with a complicated recall when it won't affect the majority of us sub-5000 mile a year Vipers. I haven't given my car yet due to all the horror stories.

Chuck, your feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

-Avi