Recommendations on new tires anyone?...

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a new set of tires for my 96 GTS. I have Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 275/30/19 fronts and 345/25/20's on the rear.

Any recommendations on what is a good "bang for your buck" tire ?:confused:

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought my Kumho Ecsta XS (extreme summers) were a good deal. Just stay out of the rain. Had to go up to 285 in the front though because 275s where not being produced. Kept me on the road at VIR!

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,,,don't think my fronts will allow for a larger width. I was thinking invos or what not?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1. Got mine from VPA with free shipping. Big plus there. Not sure if they have 20's though. I went with the PS2 since they have a longer tread life. Also been at VIR with them (see avatar) and they perform very well.

Viper Parts America have some good packages :)

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of threads on this subject already.

That said, get Michelin PS2s.

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't make PS2s in that size.

Do we get a discount from Viper parts of America ?

It looks like its between the Invos and the Perellis p-zeros...any thoughts??

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which many say are the ultimate tire for performance cars. While not available in the stock rear Viper size (345/30-19), they are available in 20's, although you would need to compromise a little and go from a 25 to a 30 - 345/30-20. The fronts are available in 275/30-19.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a new set of tires for my 96 GTS. I have Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 275/30/19 fronts and 345/25/20's on the rear.

Any recommendations on what is a good "bang for your buck" tire ?:confused:

In those tire sizes I'm pretty sure you can get the new Michelin Super Sports, I've heard nothing but good things about them and I believe they are cheaper the the PS2s.

Oops just saw the above post, what Chris said.

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOt sure if I can go with the bigger profile out back. the wheel is quite close to the quarter panel already...might rub otherwise.

Also checked tire rack and they have the the same price as the Pirelli P-Zeros. I Have those on now and was hoping there was something out there in the same lines but more affordable.

What do you guys think of the Nitto Invo's ?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Invo's and I've been happy with them. Only had them on the track once...no issues. I trust them on the street...never had them in the rain/sleet/snow.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Invo's on my 20/20 combo. Good street tire, but they have too soft of a side wall for any real track days / cornering IMHO.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to EVERYONE that I have spoke to if you go up to a 30 series tire in the rear, even on stock suspension, you will rub. I have the same tire dilemma. I have a set of 19/20 ccw sp600s and I really want a Michilin tire on them. I'm not going to do run flats though and 30 series tires rub pretty bad. I am most likely going to end up with Nitto Invos though I really don't want to.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had Super Sports put on my GTS on Thursday. It's like I got a new car. 345/30/19 in the rear and 275/30/19 in the front. The treadwear is 300. My old tires passed the quarter test but I guess they had been heat cycled too many times. They were PS2's. Absolutely no comparison. I buy the hype on the new super sports.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are going to do a Super Sport vs PS2 shoot out in April (on the Viper) Educated guess from the pro's it that the PS2 will win:eater:
It will sway my decision for this summers tire choice.

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make a 345/30/20 and a 335/30/20

Problem is when I move up to a 30 series ...back tires rub with the michelins. I found the Pirellis dont. Not sure about other brands and their profiles.

There is a guy localy selling a set slightly used identical to mine (Pirellis) but, hes asking 1500 CND and I can get them for 2000 US brand new. Not sure if thats a good deal or not. I know they are 7/32 front and 8/32 tread depth and his are 7/32 and 7/32 depth. Not bad. He quotes they are take offs, but I tend to differ with that much wear on the back.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had Super Sports put on my GTS on Thursday. It's like I got a new car. 345/30/19 in the rear and 275/30/19 in the front. The treadwear is 300. My old tires passed the quarter test but I guess they had been heat cycled too many times. They were PS2's. Absolutely no comparison. I buy the hype on the new super sports.

MIT,

Please post up a few pictures with the new tires mounted, Id really like to see the profile & clearance. Thanks!!

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MIT,

Please post up a few pictures with the new tires mounted, Id really like to see the profile & clearance. Thanks!!

Ill definetly post when I decide on which tires to mount. Problem with the Super Sporst is that they don not make them in the 25 profile for the rears. Rubbing is a problem if I go to 30 profiles. Looks like its between teh Invos or just replace them with another set of Pirellis P-Zeros that it has now.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 96 GTS my current tires are:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 295/30/ZR19
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 335/30/ZR20

With stock suspension there was no rubbing issues.

I now have KW2's installed and had the car lowered about 1.5" and there is still no rubbing.

I plan to buy the same size tires this year, except the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Hope that helps.
Anthony

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 96 GTS my current tires are:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 295/30/ZR19
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 335/30/ZR20

With stock suspension there was no rubbing issues.

I now have KW2's installed and had the car lowered about 1.5" and there is still no rubbing.

I plan to buy the same size tires this year, except the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Hope that helps.
Anthony

Unfortunatly I dont have the stock suspension set up . Eibach lowering springs installed and it sits about a few inches lower. I have about .5 inch clearance right now from the top of the tire to the quarter panel. If I go with 30 profile tires I most certainly think it will rub

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you did buy stock suspension for your car with my tire sizes the clearance where the tires are will look awful in my opinion. .5 inch is pretty low tho.. I'd say my car maybe has about a 1 inch clearance with the KW2s. It can obviously be lowered more, but this was tested as a safe riding height with zero rubbing using the tires that I have. I like having the 30 profile too because it's just extra protection for my rims considering MA/NH roads aren't the greatest.

I would say to maybe try and get a used set of KW2s if you had the money to do it, but from my own experience anyone riding on KW2s normally doesn't wanna give them up lol. I tried to get a used set off someone, and eventually just found a good deal and bought them brand new.

I would honestly just stick with what you have and buy the same new Pirelli P-Zero's. they are a good tire and it's the cheapest way for you to go without investing in any type of suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I am kinda dumbfounded when it comes to abbrevs or maybe I just dont know the make. What are KW2s?...lol Also i do have the original suspension set up if I need to go that route although I would rather not go through all that mess right now. Probably stick with the Pirellis. Just feel I am paying more for the name then the tire. Although they are great a great running tire.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries, I didn't know what KW2's were at first either. I forget if I'm allowed to post a link to KW's website, but just do a google search for: KW Variant 2 Coilover Suspension it should be the first link that shows up in the search.

I think it's pretty bad a$$ too since you can kinda see the purple yellow coil-overs through my 19/20 Wheels. They are a really good suspension and well known as one of the better choices for performance and affordability compared to more expensive versions like Motons. I also don't track my car so I didn't need anything extreme, just wanted a pretty good suspension that lowered my car safely.

If you've been using Eibachs and like how low the car looks, than you do not want to go the original suspension route, trust me lol. My friend had Eibachs, but he didn't like the way the ride of the car was, and when he put his stock suspension back on the gap between the tires was a lot more noticeable, hence he referred to his car as a 4x4 lol. He eventually purchased lower profile Spring Caps to go along with the stock suspension to slightly lower the car again, but it wasn't lowered as much as with the Eibachs.

I don't have real small fingers, but with my stock suspension I was able to put 4 fingers between the gap where the tires are. Now after being lowered I can barely put 2 fingers. If I had Pirelli Tires, I could have lowered my car more, but with the 30 profile on the PS2s it was the safest to leave about an inch for the clearance with no rubbing.

Sorry I am kinda dumbfounded when it comes to abbrevs or maybe I just dont know the make. What are KW2s?...lol Also i do have the original suspension set up if I need to go that route although I would rather not go through all that mess right now. Probably stick with the Pirellis. Just feel I am paying more for the name then the tire. Although they are great a great running tire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96