Red coupe around pole

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving this am on 25A in Port Jefferson, NY. Traffic came to a halt.
When I got to the accident the officer made me wait as the traffic passed in the other direction.
lt looked like a new 08, red with white stripes, just being hauled on a flatbed.
It was evident it was wrapped around a pole in the middle. It was on a downgrade with a curve....
Driver was said to have a broken leg, There was a vanity plate but I could not read it.
Any body know who it may be?

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My friend called me right after it happened and asked if I needed 1/2 of a Viper. I didn't know what he meant until he sent me a text message picture. It is definitely an 08' Viper Red coupe that he took a pic of on the flatbed. Looks like the pole went all the way into the shifter area. If there was a passenger in the seat, they would be seriously hurt if not deceased. Not much good news with the SSG and Viper Red so far this year. I was sick when I saw the picture. :(

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought you couldnt get red w/ white on an 08.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the popularity of the 08 hood on the gen 3 one cannot know for sure if it was an 08

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that is another advertisement that if you get a Viper and you don't know how to drive without a nanny-tech ... go to Viper Days!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend called me right after it happened and asked if I needed 1/2 of a Viper. I didn't know what he meant until he sent me a text message picture. It is definitely an 08' Viper Red coupe that he took a pic of on the flatbed. Looks like the pole went all the way into the shifter area. If there was a passenger in the seat, they would be seriously hurt if not deceased. Not much good news with the SSG and Viper Red so far this year. I was sick when I saw the picture. :(

Can you post the pic?

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 539

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another one bit the dust yesterday near Long Beach. Blue 08 with white stripes was racing down Austin Blvd lost control, took out a fire Hydrant and flipped a parked car. I didn't see it butguys were talking about it at Captree.

Frank, where are the pics of the SSG?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another one bit the dust yesterday near Long Beach. Blue 08 with white stripes was racing down Austin Blvd lost control, took out a fire Hydrant and flipped a parked car. I didn't see it butguys were talking about it at Captree.

YIKES! Two in one weekend locally! :omg:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how many 08's have been made and how many already wrecked? Its as if the plant cant keep up with the amounts being wrecked. At this rate they will be more rare than a Veyron.

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one in Long Beach was right behind my son's house. Blue with white stripes racing a Mercedes.
Viper lost control, the parked car and flipped the parked car in the air, broke a gas main somewhere during.
Guy driving the viper with his 14 year old son in the car. They said the kid was trembling and had the stuffing scared out of him. He really felt sorry for the boy.
People need to respect these cars.....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one in Long Beach was right behind my son's house. Blue with white stripes racing a Mercedes.
Viper lost control, the parked car and flipped the parked car in the air, broke a gas main somewhere during.
Guy driving the viper with his 14 year old son in the car. They said the kid was trembling and had the stuffing scared out of him. He really felt sorry for the boy.

...they need to learn to respect their children too apparently.

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...they need to learn to respect their children too apparently.

Wow, I can't beleive that he would race with his son in the car. I hope that everyone is ok.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remarkable to me when I read about this kind of driving. WITH A CHILD AS A PASSENGER???

I can see it on a track with a son/daughter, but on the street???

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remarkable to me when I read about this kind of driving. WITH A CHILD AS A PASSENGER???

I can see it on a track with a son/daughter, but on the street???

I took my 6 year old daughter out for a drive in the Viper to go pickup a gift for mother's day. Even with a 6 year old girl clearly visible in the passenger seat, I got all manner of nitwits trying to race me during this trip: Vettes, motorcycles, ricers, hybrids, it was like running a gauntlet. Do I get tempted? Sure, but all I have to do is look over at my daughter and the urge goes away. I just don't understand how a parent could put a child's life in danger like that. If its true...the driver will probably be bought up on child endangerment charges.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO time and again the problem can be missed shifts or not rev matching on a downshift and the rear end locks up for a second or two and then its all over.

That's the only 'oh sh*t' moment I've had so far. In every case like this, the clutch is your best friend. As soon as anything locks up get on the clutch and let the rear end rotate again.

Had I not stabbed the clutch quickly enough in the corner when it happened to me my car would have been off the road and the trees somewhere.

As a side note, and sad note, with the nice weather now here, and Vipers coming out of hibernation, there's going to be lots more of these types of things happening. On top of the tragedy for anyone involved, for anyone not involved, I wonder if we're going to see inurance hikes on Vipers in general, because of the large numbers of 2008's biting the dust.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion is it is clearly the worst and unsafe rear factory diff combo I have ever experienced in ANY car. I just finished getting the full Bellanger system on my 06' Coupe last week and wanted to put on a few hundred learning miles this weekend. It was a bit cooler out and a little damp pavement, but on one of the express way entrances, I decided to punch it a bit.

I felt the rear break loose just a little, but then I clearly felt the power transfer from left to right, left to right and left to right all in the matter of a second or so. I let off but clearly felt the experience enough to know that each time it transferred left to right, it was sending the rear end a bit further out of control. Had I not let off when I did, I would have probably been sideways , 'waiting" for the damn thing to hook up.

If I didn't know better, I would say that it is all driver error, but in my mind when these insurance companies start looking into the problem, I bet the factory rear end on the Viper is going to be the fall out.

First chance I get a Quaffie is going on my car. Hell I would weld the damn axles together if it gave a predictable response. I exagerate to clarify. Seriously, there is a real problem here.

Finally how can someone race someone else, with a kid in the car? Makes no sense to me.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I can't beleive that he would race with his son in the car. I hope that everyone is ok.
I once had a guy in a minivan pull up behind me loaded with 3 little kids and wife go crazy when he saw my Viper and got up to an inch behind me and started honking and zipping side to side, trying to provoke a race. I could see that his passengers were all in fear of their lives, and he looked like a madman obsessed. I really thought he was going to ram me. I pulled away enough to get off the freeway, but that was probably the first time I realize this car makes people stupid, inside or out.

Sounds like the guy and his kid are ok, so that's a relief. Stay safe out there ya'll!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with a 6 year old girl clearly visible in the passenger seat, I got all manner of nitwits trying to race me during this trip: Vettes, motorcycles, ricers, hybrids, it was like running a gauntlet. Do I get tempted? Sure, but all I have to do is look over at my daughter and the urge goes away.
That's SO very true. Usually, once they see my daughter (now 8) they go their merry way. On occasion, I've actually had to point to my daughter along with a "are you nuts" look to get some hair brained kid to back off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery