REMOVE EXHAUST CATS

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can remove the cats and replace them with straight pipes if you like. There should be no ill effects on the engine or the PCM. It will be loud though, but loud is good!

Matt

Reaction score
I have run with out cats for the last 24000 miles. No problems. Pipes will replace the cats just fine. As Matt mentioned before, it will be louder. You will also experience very rich eye watering exhaust fumes when idling.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth...

Every car around you with an open window will be cursing you at the stop ligts!

But, if you only do it at track events, no harm!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tom and Sarah. Doesnt your viper have an performance exhaust system already ? I would recommend fitting hi flow cats instead. The smell of fumes without the cats is pretty strong and straight pipes arn't worth much extra power, although they are a lot cheaper! You really need to weld to be sure of a gas tight joint but it depends on the headers you are using. My system is certainly loud enough for me, I wouldn't want it any louder. Maybe get to meet you next year, hope to make it to one of the mainland gatherings.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom and Sarah,

I have been running track events for about a year without cats (stock ECU) in my '96 GTS with no issues. Through TNT headers and a Borla cat back I get 2+ foot flames out the exhaust when upshifting at redline. It looks incredible at night. It is also very loud.

I have seen no issues with burning or discoloration of the rear bumper. I am aware of one Viper that had major discoloration issues only after installing a rear wing. Probably due to the turbulence off the wing.

Performance wise, the car gained 8 horsepower and 14 lb-ft of torque throughout the power band over high flow cats.

I used band clamps as supplied with my headers at both ends of the straight pipe to hold it in place. It seems to work fine and takes only about 10 minutes to re-install the cats.

Have fun.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'Snake Box' kit we offer, and is mentioned above, cures 2 problems caused by removing cats:

1) ALL 96+ Vipers: Eliminates the bucking and surging experienced under light throttle/cruising conditions. We have sold many sets to 96-98 owners and everyone has been happy with the results

2)ALL 98+ Vipers: Eliminates the check engine light that triggers when you remove the cats.

Hope this clarifies things, but there are benefits to all GENII Viper owners running without cats.

If you have any questions about them, you can contact me at 408.562.1000.

Thanks!
-Wayne

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Viper has no cats.

It has the resonator under the rockers, TNT headers and Borla exhaust. (Wayne correct me if I'm wrong.)

BV is nice and loud. (Also, if you stand 4' behind the exhaust tips, the pulses will flap your blue jean legs at idle (!) A stock exhaust will feebly drizzle out the tailpipes. )

However, I got a ride in a ~550 HP Viper with straight 3" exhaust w/o cats or mufflers.

Now THAT was NICE and LOUD!

IMO, the Viper is supposed to shatter teeth when you floor it!

Now 4" pipes will fit in the rockers, I don't know if you could get them out the back. Haven't had the time to size it up.

However, 4" is what I want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang