Removing Tarnish From Valve Covers

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this for a while and finally motivated my lazy ass to do this. I am talking about removing the tarnish from the "Viper" text and snake emblems on the valve covers...

You must be registered for see images

This has been like this since I bought the car new. I remember reading a while back that an eraser will remove the tarnish. Well I tried an eraser and it did nothing. I believe I also read that an emery board works but I am not entirely sure. So my question is what should I use to remove this tarnish? It is also on the intake manifold as well. I recently finished adding some more poser parts to the engine bay and I would like to finish it all off.

Thanks in advance.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you the painful method I used. I used this method because I did not want to eliminate the facory machining marks off the lettering. First I took the blue masking tape and carefully taped off all the letters and nooks and crannies. I then got a fistfull of Q-Tips and used a tiny amount of Mothers Aluminum Polish on the tip of the Q-Tip. This is a painstaking process of constantly changing Q-Tips till you get a pefect luster. I spent a solid EIGHT hours on mine. The results are incredible if you have the desire. If you don't tape off the red powder coating, you will stain the valve cover.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used mothers polish and a ton of elbow grease and mine are looking great now. It took quite a while. The only problem with that is that it can leave residue on the painted parts. That clened right up using Simple Green.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any good metal polish ie. Blue Magic and use a dremel tool with various attachments depending on which attachment is doing the best job for the angles it is needed. :usa:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, but how long will it stay that way.

There's gotta be a permanent solution.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you the painful method I used. I used this method because I did not want to eliminate the facory machining marks off the lettering. First I took the blue masking tape and carefully taped off all the letters and nooks and crannies. I then got a fistfull of Q-Tips and used a tiny amount of Mothers Aluminum Polish on the tip of the Q-Tip. This is a painstaking process of constantly changing Q-Tips till you get a pefect luster. I spent a solid EIGHT hours on mine. The results are incredible if you have the desire. If you don't tape off the red powder coating, you will stain the valve cover.

You're insane.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies/pics guys. They really look awesome when they are cleaned/polished. I don't think I have the patience to spend eight hours cleaning them, but I will try nonetheless. The only thing is that I don't want to screw anything else up (especially the surrounding area of the valve covers) while doing this. Whenever I try to fix something I usually do more harm than good, and I especially don't want this to happen to my beloved snake. :cool:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key to not messing the covers up is to use the blue low tack masking tape. Yes, ViperJon I probably should use my limited spare time more effectively, but I think I have a problem. For the semi normal people out there who aren't concerned about machining marks(probably 99% of you) the 2000 grit wet sand plus polish should be the ticket. Maintenance after this procedure is really minimal.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found some extremely high grit wet sandpaper, something like 3000. I must check now because I have some leftover. Used a wood block. Taped off covers. Took about 2 minutes per side. Put a dab of WD40 with finger afterwards. Need to plan to do it every year, maybe twice a year. Looks great.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! How did you clean it (what did you use and where), and what did you use to get all the hoses black again?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! How did you clean it (what did you use and where), and what did you use to get all the hoses black again?

I don't want to take away from this thread. Look for another thread I will start soon. I will call it engine detail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog