Repairing Front End Damage on SRT10 Viper

e93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2005 Dodge Viper with frontal damage due to an accident. The airbags did not deploy, but I'm still concerned about the expense involved in repairing the car. I've purchased salvage vehicles in the past with good luck, but I know that some of the parts tend to be outrageously priced on low volume, exotic-type cars.

Is there a good source for Viper body panels? The damage is mild, but still may require both fenders (and possibly fender supports), headlights, bumper cover, and bumper support. I've found www.exoticbodyparts.com, but the quality and fitment is questionable based on some reviews. Aside from this, I've only found OEM sources which will be around $10,000 for everything plus labor assuming the worst (everything replaced).

Is there anything else to consider when buying a Viper that has damage in the front? I bought a Lotus Elise in the past and had to be careful to ensure that the tub was not damaged due to the major expense of repairing this. Is there anything on the Viper that needs to be considered?

Thanks

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently ordered a hood from Scharf and they were great to deal with! can't say enough good things about their customer service and quality of parts!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2005 Dodge Viper with frontal damage due to an accident.

Is there anything else to consider when buying a Viper that has damage in the front? I bought a Lotus Elise in the past and had to be careful to ensure that the tub was not damaged due to the major expense of repairing this. Is there anything on the Viper that needs to be considered?

Thanks

It would be a rare '05 that doesn't have frame damage sold as salvage. If you priced $10K of new OEM panels and labor to fix that viper, you're missing something.

stemal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me To! Scharff Automotive Is The Best, good prices, quality parts, fast shipping, no worries!!!... :headbang: :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

e93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...Scharf prices look better.

It would be a rare '05 that doesn't have frame damage sold as salvage. If you priced $10K of new OEM panels and labor to fix that viper, you're missing something.

It has over 50k miles and I'm not using dealer labor rates. Regardless, it's common to see cars with minor damage that have salvage titles. I think insurance providers just base it on how they'll come out best financially.

If a car is worth $40k and will cost them $15k to repair, they spend $15k if they fix it. If they can get $27k on the auction because it's in high demand, they only spend $13k net. Extreme case, but I think it's an example of why some of these cars are totaled with minimal damage.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...Scharf prices look better.

It has over 50k miles and I'm not using dealer labor rates. Regardless, it's common to see cars with minor damage that have salvage titles. I think insurance providers just base it on how they'll come out best financially.

If a car is worth $40k and will cost them $15k to repair, they spend $15k if they fix it. If they can get $27k on the auction because it's in high demand, they only spend $13k net. Extreme case, but I think it's an example of why some of these cars are totaled with minimal damage.
That depends on the insurance company, they all have their own conditions necessary to total a vehicle and then making it a repairable or not salvage vehicle. Structural damage can get a vehicle totaled even though it may not fall under the required cost of repair as the percentage of vehicle value. So no, I do not think it is very common unless the vehicle has a very small market value already...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to begin...

e39 - Unless you are buying direct from the owner, you are missing
something significant on this car. No insurance company throws
money away - if the car only has $10k in parts AND labor it wasnt
totalled from the crash. If you are buying from a broker then they
ALSO thing the car is not worth saving - (Despite what they
advertise) I don't know any 3rd party salvager on the east coast
who would take a loss to flip a $10k repairable sports car.

Check to make sure the "undeployed" air bags really are present.
Check for signs of salt water submersion.
Check for cracks in the suspension - aluminum parts dont like
impacts.
Take a microscope to the frame - I have a feeling its been
twisted.

Also keep in mind the Gen3 market is ridiculiously soft right
now - a salvage SRT, regardless of quality of work, will bury
you in resale. Rebuilt Red convertibles are getting $25-30k
on ebay right now, a yellow one just sold for $33k. If your
not getting this corpse for under $25k you will have no chance
of breaking even on it EVEN IF there is only $10k of damage.

I've no issue with salvage cars (obviously,) but from what
youre telling us I would be very cautious of this one..