Replace timing chain without gears?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what are people's thoughts about replacing just the chain and not the gears for the timing set? I'm in the process of an engine rebuild after a spun bearing on my car and I've been going through the regular wear parts to see what to replace while I'm there. With 126,000 miles on the engine the timing chain is a little on the slack side from the look of it, so I figured I'd replace it. However, a full timing set from Mopar is $500+, which is just crazy to me. I can get a chain for around $75 without the gears, but I know the sprockets will wear a bit funny with a stretched chain, so I'm hesitant to replace one without the other, but $500+ for a stock factory timing set is just beyond dumb to me.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is a lot for a timing set, here is my take on it, I had a shop for 40 years built a lot of engines, you have to replace the gears with the chain, the gears have a wear pattern and will kill the new chain real fast, is there a good after market timing set for your engine, might be a better price, if not pay the price its worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was surprised because Cloyes only sells a chain as well, they don't show a full set. What's even more odd is that if you look at their site they don't even have a listing for a Viper in their search system, but if you look at RockAuto they have a chain listed. If you put that chain part number into the Cloyes website it shows it fits a Viper. Not sure I understand why they show it there, but they don't show the car in the search options.

I haven't looked really hard yet to see what aftermarket might be out there, but it seems awfully slim. It really surprises me because I thought the Viper engine used common Dodge parts for that, though I'm fairly sure the cam gear at least is unique because it has some extra material cast on it for the cam sensor, but it's not fancy by any means. Any other companies you would think to look at?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With having a 95 RT10 and a 99 GTS you would think I would have done a timing set, nope! never had a problem. So the only advice I can give is price the set from different dealers, we all know some dealers are way better then others. Give Woodhouse a call, when I lived in NJ I bought my Vipers and other cars from them because the dealers in NJ sucked, they are one of the very few good honest Dealers around, and if they can not help you they will point you in the right direction. There are all so some great Viper tuners and builders here who belong to the club, maybe they can help. Good luck in your search.