Replaced Battery now have Check Engine Light

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this normal- does the engine have to relearn settings? I remember reading somewhere about resetting the tps after the battery is disconnected.
Thanks

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this normal- does the engine have to relearn settings? I remember reading somewhere about resetting the tps after the battery is disconnected.
Thanks

It was for my brand new Viper that had a dead battery on the dealers sale floor. Once the car ran for a little, the light went out. You may have something else going on, but I'd drive the car a little and see what come the computer does.

Cheers,
George

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest buying a code reader. The computer may reset itself, but a code reader is a good tool to have in the future for any obd2 vehicle.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Yes" is the answer to original question. Agree with both answers above...but be SURE that any code reader purchased is CAN bus capable for a Gen IV.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Yes" is the answer to original question. Agree with both answers above...but be SURE that any code reader purchased is CAN bus capable for a Gen IV.

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone recommend a reasonable CAN bus reader?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks

I just recently disconnected my battery and tonight was the first night i've started the car since then. Same issue...check engine light.

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was for my brand new Viper that had a dead battery on the dealers sale floor. Once the car ran for a little, the light went out. You may have something else going on, but I'd drive the car a little and see what come the computer does.

Cheers,
George

^^^this.

Car should relearn/reset after 25 +/- miles.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walmart has CAN bus compatible code readers but you may want to save your money. After a few ingnition cycles, the check engine light will turn off if the only issue is the battery was disconnected for a period of time.

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walmart has CAN bus compatible code readers but you may want to save your money. After a few ingnition cycles, the check engine light will turn off if the only issue is the battery was disconnected for a period of time.
Mine did the same when I replaced the batt. It will go out after a few ignition cycles.:2tu:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you sure you did not have the key on when you changed the battery?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 4s will show a CEL for Engine off timer when the battery is disconnected for any length of time. It will reset by itself but it is easier just to clear the darn thing with a code reader. I use an Actron but the display could be brighter.

By the way, I've heard a bunch of stories on this site about Vipers running badly with a low/poor battery. I don't believe that is true based on my experience. My 09 was shipped back from Charlotte VOI and arrived with a stone dead battery, I mean nothing had power, not even the door locks or radio. Used a battery box to start it and drove it 25 miles home without an issue, car ran fine. When I got home I shut the car off and it was again dead as a doornail. I put a volt meter on the battery, it was reading 4.5 volts. Charged it overnight and its fine. I had one of those kill switches on the car that energizes a solenoid to keep the battery connected. Problem is the solenoid draws a lot of juice and kills the battery quickly when car is left unconnected to battery tender. Removed the stupid thing and put a manual kill switch on, problem solved. Bottom line my car ran fine with a battery that was stone cold dead.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing with me.. I put a new battery in ( light weight Brail 21) and the CEL came on...even after a few cylcles it stayed on....I ended up clearing the code with an ELM327 OBDII reader..... However, I would recommend a handheld unit that you can buy from your local parts store as the ELM was a nightmare to get the software installed and the wifi to get working...

Being able to check and clear codes on your own is almost a necessity with theses cars..especially if you tinker with them yourself and dont want or cant take them to a dealer every time..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh