Reverse harder to get into, but not locked out or grinding.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, the past couple years my 94' has been getting harder and harder to push the shifter to the far right in order to get it into reverse. Before you say 'reverse solenoid' or 'syncros', understand that it never locks me out or grinds, it's just hard to physically push the shifter to the far right, sometimes needing two hands. All other movements seem fine and it has never not let me get into reverse. It also doesn't feel like something is stopping it, it's just harder to push to the far right. Pushing it up into reverse, once in the far right, is not that bad. It makes no difference if the car is off or the clutch is pushed in. It became more noticable when I got my GTS last month because the GTS is really easy to get into reverse. I changed the tranny fluid 15k miles ago (six years ago) when I got the car. It now has 20k miles. Other than the 1/4 mile, it has not been tracked yet. It has not been a problem, just a concern. Is it time to change the tranny fluid again?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow your logic on the reverse lockout solenoid. It is set so that you can "override" it with extra force - ie using two hands like you describe - it never totally locks out.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow your logic on the reverse lockout solenoid. It is set so that you can "override" it with extra force - ie using two hands like you describe - it never totally locks out.

Ok, I always thought that when reverse lockout went you couldn't get into reverse at all. I guess I better check the fuse next.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just checked all the 20A fuses under the dash and didn't find any blown. Probably the solenoid then.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found it difficult to get into reverse as well. Seemed to take an awful lot of muscle to get it into reverse. The problem went away for me when I changed my trans and motor mounts. (Woodhouse)

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Occasionally mine will kick out of reverse while in motion. Then it grinds until I pull the stick away. Not sure what is causing that either...

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
shiftfork?

No, in doing more research and now understanding how it works, it makes sense that it's the solenoid. I think it has been working on and off, or has been slowly failing. I just always thought that when it went, you had no reverse at all, based on some other posts. But in reality, using two hands will force the solenoid spring to compress and allow engagement, which is what is happening. Thanks for ideas though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave