Rims back from Cal Chrome

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I would post up, and let everyone here know that calchrome.com is definately the real deal. Add another satisfied customer to the list. The quality on the VR1s is perfect......

Last edited:

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone posted their 5 spoke chromed they also looked great. Calchrome is only 5 miles from my house, can't wait to get my done.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice! Something I am wondering about though, does chroming have any influence on the "straightness" of the rims?

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chroming affects wheel weight considerably, and makes the wheel weaker.

Considerably huh. An ounce must be considerable to you then. I weighed them before/after and they are the same weight.

The strength of an aluminum wheel is more connected to the alloy type, and process used to manufacture than if it is chrome or polished.

You better let the OEM manufacturers, and the aftermarket wheel manufacturers know they are compromising their rims "considerably" by chroming them.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considerably huh. An ounce must be considerable to you then. I weighed them before/after and they are the same weight.

The strength of an aluminum wheel is more connected to the alloy type, and process used to manufacture than if it is chrome or polished.

You better let the OEM manufacturers, and the aftermarket wheel manufacturers know they are compromising their rims "considerably" by chroming them.

Get a more accurate scale, I would be shocked if you found someone who could chrome a wheel and add less than 1/2 a pound of weight to it in the process.

Far as strength goes I guess you know better than Porsche or the German TUV, who does NOT allow aluminum chromed wheels on any road driven vehicles due to various weaknesses that its adds. Guess they should have your chrome place do the work, he is obviously better than anyone Porsche could come up with or Germany for that matter.

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dun, did they chrome the entire thing or just the face?

I've poked around locally and everyone here does the entire wheel, which the guys at A.R.T. recommended me against. Reason being, once the tire is mounted, it's only a matter of time before the tire rubs the finish off and the chrome begins to flake where the rubber meets the rim.

Anyone else either a.) experience the above phenomenon or b.) know of a shop that only does the face?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dun, did they chrome the entire thing or just the face?

I've poked around locally and everyone here does the entire wheel, which the guys at A.R.T. recommended me against. Reason being, once the tire is mounted, it's only a matter of time before the tire rubs the finish off and the chrome begins to flake where the rubber meets the rim.

Anyone else either a.) experience the above phenomenon or b.) know of a shop that only does the face?

Tiff...remember Jason W. has full chromed rims...don't see any issues on his.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wheels look great. My plans are to send my 19" VR1's to them as soon as my current rubber needs changing.

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey dun4791 or baton,I have 1 vr1 19 in rear wheel if you guys want a spare.It's in great condition.They do not make this size anymore.The tire has 70% life left.$650 for both or $500 for the wheel and $200 for the tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang