Just receive my copy of Road & Track April issue
Best article yet of the Gen V....and funny too
Amswers to 13 questions like :
1 : Is this still a Viper ?
13 : Will it still try to kill you ?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again though, implying you couldn't live with the old! I have no issues of livability with my Gen3. 150 mile drives with the C&C crew on back roads are highway, are no issue.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Righteous, I've been wondering when those guys would weigh in. I'll head to the newstand now...

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, every single major magazine disliked the interior. That is an ego buster. Poor Viper. Personally, it looks pretty damn good to me.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the writers dislike the interior, that tells me that they really like the car but need to find something to complain about.

Auto writers are in the Complainers group whereas SRT is in the Doers group.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the interior finish that they have a problem with, its the tight fit of the cockpit.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of the dialog between MB and McLaren when they we developing a joint super car. MB wanted more interior room because the intended customer base were a bit substantial in physical configuration. McL said no and didn 't follow MB's request. As I recall, that car also had complaints about interior space.
The Gen V interior space is not an improvement over the previous Gen IV when it comes to footwell space, it has a bit more head space, and I'm not sure about shoulder room. Overall, it is snug. I haven't been in a Gen V so I don't know about the footwell offset for the passenger or driver. Apparently, the Gen V used the same hardpoints as the Gen IV for the chassis dimensions when doing the upgrade. The Gen V is an evolution, not a clean sheet design. :2tu:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read the article tonight... they seemed to like the car for what it is. They also pointed out that the brakes faded on the base car, but that the track pack would eliminate the problem. Not consistant with what C&D stated as they tested the track pack and stated the brakes faded.

The pedals did not seem to be off set like they claim, but I'm used to the driving position in my gen II. I actually like the snug fit in the Viper... it's like getting strapped into a jet.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compared to a Ford Gt, Lamborghini and Ferrari, the Viper is much more snug and less spacious. But I actually love that.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of the dialog between MB and McLaren when they we developing a joint super car. MB wanted more interior room because the intended customer base were a bit substantial in physical configuration. McL said no and didn 't follow MB's request. As I recall, that car also had complaints about interior space.
The Gen V interior space is not an improvement over the previous Gen IV when it comes to footwell space, it has a bit more head space, and I'm not sure about shoulder room. Overall, it is snug. I haven't been in a Gen V so I don't know about the footwell offset for the passenger or driver. Apparently, the Gen V used the same hardpoints as the Gen IV for the chassis dimensions when doing the upgrade. The Gen V is an evolution, not a clean sheet design. :2tu:

What's interesting about that is the MP4-12C has plenty of interior space and is very comfortable. I guess McLaren learned a lesson.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comments on article:

IMO, all in all, a very fun, upbeat and positive article.

I don't know if it was a production car or a development car. My best guess is that it was a development car. If so, then at least one item has been addressed. The seats have been updated. Ralph did a change out to the new design seats somewhere in Texas on his Michigan to Key West to California development test drive. One item is confusing, the sound made by the exhaust. Ralph said he was very firm that the enginers deal with the exhaust sound. The article infers the results are less than desirable. "In the car, especially when crusing, it just sounds bad." One item is head scratching. The engine said to feel a little soft down low. Never heard the V-10 called that before! One item is disappointing, the driving position. Even for sub six footers, it's reported as awkward. One item leads to wondering what mag shocks might be able to do to improve the ride quality. Maybe a multiple setting system with other associated adjustments to car handling electronically controlled ala the C7. My favorite why doesn't someone item is why doesn't someone make a built in curb detector for the front spliter.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah and how can the exhaust sound awesome to the guy across the street but sound poorly inside of the car?

front splitter is a concern for my steep driveway. i believe the specs are 5" clearance in front but it looks low in some vids and actually looks high in others. In the english german and italian cars that i'm used to ya just hit a button and the front end raises some three inches to avoid scrapes. gonna hafta wait and see on this car.

I suspect they didnt have the final production product. If a $7500 optioned laguna interior doesnt add comfort, something's off.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha, my biggest worry is my driveway, it is REALLY steep, i have about 4.5'' clearance from the driveway into the garage. my 335i barely makes it. i may need to "build up" the garage floor

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh, checked at the grocery newsstand, too much lame commentary to me. They don't like the interior, I don't know if they expect to find a **** French maid inside or what, but having sat in the GTS I can't imagine something nicer this side of a Bentley. Geesh. Gen2 owner quote calling Gen3/4 "preppy", seriously?? The comment about the Nurbergring, only a rag mag could turn that into a dig. Yea some good comments in there, but I find it funny how nowadays everyone has to be cheeky to be cool in these articles. Good pics too.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the answer.....will it still try to kill you?.........LOL
Tell the magazine guy to stand in front of it while you test the acceleration

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang