Road & Track's 2013 Viper Mockup

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Received the October issue in the mail today, and they have a great 'speculation' article about the future of the Viper. Included is this great shot of a concept Gen5. Photo is unattributed, so I assume it is their mockup.
You must be registered for see images attach

I particularly like the lines on the side - it seems a subtle tribute to the Gen2's.

BlkViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe someone produced this photo earlier...I too like the looks of this alot! Seems to be better "mixed" between a Gen 2 and 3/4... I wouldnt complain if this is the next Viper!

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully it will have a 650hp V10 in it with optional 3.33 or 3.55 gearing.:D

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a Gen V happens, I'd really like to see something totally new and radical. Most of the speculative mock-ups I've seen all look like a refresh of current and/or past designs. It would be extremely cool to have something brand new and ground-breaking just like the original car was. At this point, I feel like we're past the point where a refresh is going to have as much impact as a totally new car. Something like the ME412 concept car (with a V10 of course) would be awesome and would catch a lot of attention. This is just a worthless personal opinion, but if they came out with something totally new and radical, and it outperformed current generations, I'd be a lot quicker in opening my wallet than if the Gen V is just a refresh of previous cars.

You must be registered for see images

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Vette fan as well, the C7 mockups are generally the same thing...some photoshopped version of the current design...nothing new really. This is the same thing.

The Gen5 better be a radical departure of what we have now in regards to exterior and interior design. It should still look like a Viper, particularly the coupe, but trending away from the SRT will give it a much needed shot in the arm. Powertrain could be identical(although it won't be) and we would all be happy.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a Gen V happens, I'd really like to see something totally new and radical. Most of the speculative mock-ups I've seen all look like a refresh of current and/or past designs. It would be extremely cool to have something brand new and ground-breaking just like the original car was. At this point, I feel like we're past the point where a refresh is going to have as much impact as a totally new car. Something like the ME412 concept car (with a V10 of course) would be awesome and would catch a lot of attention. This is just a worthless personal opinion, but if they came out with something totally new and radical, and it outperformed current generations, I'd be a lot quicker in opening my wallet than if the Gen V is just a refresh of previous cars.

I agree. Go with a whole new look.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else see that carachter line down the side of the car as exactly like the one one the current BMW Z roadster? In fact to me it looks alot like the BMW on steriods.
Two words: "not fabulous" don't get me wrong, it's not bad but not fabulous. Gen I-IV = fabulous! especially II & III

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Vette fan as well, the C7 mockups are generally the same thing...some photoshopped version of the current design...nothing new really. This is the same thing.

The Gen5 better be a radical departure of what we have now in regards to exterior and interior design. It should still look like a Viper, particularly the coupe, but trending away from the SRT will give it a much needed shot in the arm. Powertrain could be identical(although it won't be) and we would all be happy.

One thing that made the Corvette such a success was that they did a total re-design every once in a while. Just think about the difference between the Gen I, Gen II vettes:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else see that carachter line down the side of the car as exactly like the one one the current BMW Z roadster? In fact to me it looks alot like the BMW on steriods.
Two words: "not fabulous"

Pretty much my thoughts....

Bill

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a ********** huyundi tiburon---- not to bad lookin though----i like the color:rolleyes:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two words: "not fabulous" don't get me wrong, it's not bad but not fabulous. Gen I-IV = fabulous! especially II & III

The lines remind me of the lines on the BMW Z4...not a fan of them. Smooth the line by making it a clam-shell hood. Looks too BMW-ish as is in the pic.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Challenger and an RX-8 had offspring. I will stick with a GTS or Coupe.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im just gonna say it as plain as I can. HIDEOUS. It looks confused. Bring back the curves, sidepipes, mean mug, v10 and drop it to a 3000 lb curb weight or less.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever produced the above photo has little or no design talent. Ralph G would never design something so aesthetically confused and complicated. Also, I do not believe the new front pedestrian impact regs would allow the front design shown above.

The Gen V should have a mean and predatory look. The above design is neither.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they build one, and if it looks like that or similar , don't bother.

Unless the next one is a mind blowing, radical design (like it was in 92, and somewhat in 96) it will continue to be a low production vehicle that sits on dealer lots remaining unsold until $13K to $15K deep discounting a year post production, like what we are seeing now.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to lock the new GEN V Dodge Viper designers in the room with a few Fiat/Ferrari/Maseratti designers and the following "dirty dozen" coupe and convertible cars:

1. Original 427 Cobra
2. Original Daytona Cobra
3. Every Original Gen Viper
4. Original Jaguar E-Type
5. Original Ferrari Daytona
6. Original 250SL Gull-Wing
7. Original 2010 Aston Martin DBS (and a few pictures of the One-77 car).
8. Original 1967 427 Corvette
9. Original Ferarri 360 Challenge Stradale
10. Original Ferarri 430 Scuderia
11. Original older **** Maseratti from the 70s (sorry can't think of model number at the moment.)
12. Original 2005 Ford GT.

Despite the fact some of these cars are mid-engine, it doesn't matter, there is a balance there of new, unique, ****, sophisticated, yet blaringly simple to the point of briliant. This is the kind of inspiration they need for the GEN V. Willing to bet that all those cars in an open hanger and all those designers mentioned, they could have the functional and realistic workings of the best GEN Viper yet, the GEN V in one week.

BTW I don't like the rendering above. It is clearly a throw back to the Dodge Demon show car. That is not for a Viper, but great for a Demon

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is ugly..the current gen3 and gen 4 as well as the gen2 all flow much better than that..It dosent look exotic at all..It's not satifyingly curvey like a gen 2 or satisfactorily low and wide like a gen 3..

It looks like a mix or a srt10 coupe and srt8 4 door..Look at the roofline ect. Does that look exotic?????

U-G-L-Y and they would have beeen better off showing nothing

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lock the designers in a room with:

1. a Viper GTS
2. A Victoria SSecret model

mix the two and reveal a new retro GTS with awesome curves.

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i like it myself, but the evo called and said it needs its front end back.

Attachments

• thumbnailCA6TW304.jpg
    thumbnailCA6TW304.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
V

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The lines remind me of the lines on the BMW Z4...not a fan of them. Smooth the line by making it a clam-shell hood. Looks too BMW-ish as is in the pic.

Hmm, I guess when I first looked at the photo I thought it was a clam-shell (like the Gen2). I didn't see the line on the side as decorative, but as the hood line. I didn't notice any break in the hood that led me to believe it was the same as the 08 hood.

But I do agree, this is probably (hopefully) nothing like what it will be - I too am hoping for a complete design change as well.

viperracer77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though Chrysler and Mercedes split a few years back this 2013 mock up looks very similar the new SLS from Mercedes.

Last edited:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my copy of R&T in the mail today. I thought the interesting part of the article was the current 8.4L V10 engine could easily be made to meet 2018 emissions and that 700 hp could be be obtained with direct injection. Ilmor Marine sells the engine in 650 and 725 hp. There may be hope after all. I guess I better start saving for the 700 hp version when it hits the street.