Rocker Arm Adjusting

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the rocker arms is making a little chattering noise. Its a '04 SRT B/M Vert with 15,500 miles. Here are the questions:

Does the popping/rumbling of the engine when you take the foot off the gas effect the valves? The gurgling sort of race car back firing sound is awesome but I dont want to wreck the car.

What should I watch out for when pulling the valve cover to tighten the rocker arm? I have heard of two different torque settings and "tighten till you cant spin the pushrod then 1/2 turn past that" as well.

Anyhelp would be appreciated, we are just getting into good HP weather down here in Florida!!!

:usa: CHAOS

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does this engine have stock rockers...?

And to answer your other question, no, that noise will not affect the engine. It is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. However, if it occurred long enough [which the computer wont do] you could overheat a converter. The purpose of it is to delay engine breaking to prevent surging, and also keep the cats warm.

OP
OP
C

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks about the gurgling, I was hoping this was not a problem. Should I pull out the CATs? and go with straight pipes to the (Borla) exhaust?

Drawbacks?

About the rocker tapping, is the forum suggesting there is no way to tighten down the rocker arm??? What does this mean they are not adjustable? Are you suggesting they cant be tightened down to stop the chatter???

Last I checked this thing was still a combustion engine...

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That tapping noise that you hear is from the injectors and not the rockers. It's a pretty common noise with the gen IV's.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About the rocker tapping, is the forum suggesting there is no way to tighten down the rocker arm??? What does this mean they are not adjustable? Are you suggesting they cant be tightened down to stop the chatter???

Last I checked this thing was still a combustion engine...

The rocker arms held in position by a pedestal .The retainer nuts are tightened down on the pedestal resting on the boss in the head ,hence no need to adjust the rocker arms with hydraulic tappets. What you're thinking of is adjustable rocker arms that require rocker arm studs & pushrod guides . That setup require to turn the nut until the clatter stops and usually needs an additional 1/4 turn for preload.
This 460 Ford had non adjustable pedestal type rocker arms. I converted it with Speedpro alu roller rocker arms with 3/8 pushrods and guides for adjustability.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That tapping noise that you hear is from the injectors and not the rockers. It's a pretty common noise with the gen IV's.

Have you heard anything about Gen III's "clattering"? Mine never did before, but it does now after the Arrow rebuild. The tech said it's normal, but I never heard it before.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TowDowg , the only time I'd tolerate to valve train clatter if I had solid lifters in a boat with dry [ 120dB] exhaust ;):rolaugh:

OP
OP
C

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont know about being told chattering in the valves is normal, or that th injectors are making the noise but it has been a while since I have personally worked on cars.

Back in the day I had a set of valve covers with the top cut out for access to the rocker arm nuts. It was a '65 triple black GTO with a 389 (I miss that car). If one was chattering I could put the open cover on, hear which rocker was making noise and slowly tighten until the chattering went away.

What would prevent me from taking off the valve cover, starting the engine and tightening the rocker in question? Other than having to redo the garage floor...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny, I've got a '98 Gen II and I also notice (what sounds to me like) a valve ticking noise. I jumped to the same conclusion about adjusting the rockers, but now after reading this, not sure. Is the Gen II motor a hydraulic valve motor as well? So, the 1.7 TD RR's are not adjusted either, just tightened down the same as the stock ones? I currently have stock but do, at some point, want to move to 1.7's.

Thanks!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll let Dan comment on this but could it be a weak lifter.

Yes , it could be. I bought my 1972 Challenger new with one lifter that started ticking a year later .The noise lasted until I sold the car with 90K miles on it 8 years later. It's a Dodge thing :rolaugh:. The lfter was probably out of spec and bled down too fast. When I used a much heavier single weight oil to see what happens it took the clatter out . Went back to the recommended oil and never bothered with the slight tick after.;)

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 04 and my did get chattering after it warmed up, I change the oil to Mobil 15w-50w and used the white viper oil filter for better flow, problem solve my motor is perfect now, no more chattering.