rotor size for Dave's Big Brake upgrade?

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of high performace brake rotors to install on my 96 GTS (non ABS).

I purchased Dave's Big Brake upgrade kit. Dave explained to me that the front rotors will be Gen. III. And the rear rotors will be Gen. II front rotors (moved to the rear).

Could someone please enlighten me on the exact rotor sizes for Gen. III and Gen. II to be used with this setup. :dunno:

I have checked on the Brembo website and it indicates the following:
  • Gen. III front rotors = 355mm (14") diameter, 32mm thick
  • Gen. II front rotors = 355mm (14") diameter, 32mm thick
Just trying to determine what I size is needed before I order a set of Stoptech or Brembo.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of high performace brake rotors to install on my 96 GTS (non ABS).

I purchased Dave's Big Brake upgrade kit. Dave explained to me that the front rotors will be Gen. III. And the rear rotors will be Gen. II front rotors (moved to the rear).

Could someone please enlighten me on the exact rotor sizes for Gen. III and Gen. II to be used with this setup. :dunno:

I have checked on the Brembo website and it indicates the following:
  • Gen. III front rotors = 355mm (14") diameter, 32mm thick
  • Gen. II front rotors = 355mm (14") diameter, 32mm thick
Just trying to determine what I size is needed before I order a set of Stoptech or Brembo.

If you are going with the SRT 18/19 wheels then you can use 14" rotors front and rear, You should use FRONT SRT rotors for the rears also though if going that route. When I do my brakes I'm going to use his kit for the rear, with SRT front rotors on all four corners, and new SRT calipers on all four corners. Probably do 19/20 on the wheels so clearances wont be an issue for me.

Why not call Big Brake Dave on this directly. It's 9:30 on the west coast. Surely he has his latte and pastries done by now, ready for that first caller.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I have to use 13" rotors on the rear on my 96 GTS (non ABS)? Or can I use 14" all around?

mm = Canadian Eh! :D

Hey Jason,

With your kit you need 13" front Gen2 rotors on the rear, this is for the best brake bias along with the adjust valve.

14" Front rotors SRT-10
13" Front Gen2 rotors on the rear.

Big Brake Dave:drive:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

With your kit you need 13" front Gen2 rotors on the rear, this is for the best brake bias along with the adjust valve.

14" Front rotors SRT-10
13" Front Gen2 rotors on the rear.

Could you make your system work with a 14" rear rotor and still have proper braking? 14" rotors are just so much easier to get....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

Brake bias( balance/ non abs is the problem) 14" front/13" rears give the ideal brake bias & balance.

With that in mind, you need a new car Jason, and a buyer for the disassembled non-ABS heap in your shop. I'll bring $5k in US cash, and swap a pickup bed full of Lone Star for the blue/white heap. I can be there by Friday AM.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With that in mind, you need a new car Jason, and a buyer for the disassembled non-ABS heap in your shop. I'll bring $5k in US cash, and swap a pickup bed full of Lone Star for the blue/white heap. I can be there by Friday AM.

LOL!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao: Dude you crack me up! :D

My new car is coming very soon...2006 Ford GT. :eater: :2tu: That way I will have a car to drive while I finish my Viper. :smirk:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does Stoptech or any other company make a matching slotted pair of rotors in these sizes? I'd like to use something other than stock.

Brembo, Baer & EBC

The trick is finding a set of two piece rotors that won't rust. I understand that the Stoptech's will rust. Not sure about the others?

Last edited:

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using the Roe 2 piece rotors on the fronts (SRT10 size). Rears are my old fronts (GTS)...will upgrade the rears next time I need to change pads/rotors.

Alex

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the stoptechs and the only time I see any rust on them is when I wash the car. As soon as you drive it the rust is scraped off.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao: Dude you crack me up! :D

My new car is coming very soon...2006 Ford GT. :eater: :2tu: That way I will have a car to drive while I finish my Viper. :smirk:

Hey Jason
Just to put your mind at ease... No problems with your Ford GT. I drove it for about 50 miles Sat. I didn't know they were so good for "drifting".

:lmao:;)

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

Brake bias( balance/ non abs is the problem) 14" front/13" rears give the ideal brake bias & balance.

I'm surprised to hear this as with the bias valve I can make my current rear brakes non fuctional. Keep in mind I have semi stock non-ABS brakes on the car with Dave's bias valve. If I were to ever go with the upgraded route I'd put the same size/offset 14" rotors front and back so I could swap them as needed. I run spacers on the hubs already and I probably wouldn't add the ebrake.

Would that be possible. If not the next choice would be floating two piece rotors but then it get's into a money issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang