RT/10 Washing Question

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So this is going to sound really ********, but here goes anyway...

I've gotten away with using detail spray for quite a while now, but it seems the time to give my car a proper bath has come.

How do you people wash your RT/10s? Is the answer simply be really careful? It seems that even with the windows and soft top on, there's no safe way to just hose it down to rinse. I was thinking about hosing everything from an angle such that splatter doesn't end up on the interior? Or another idea... use the tonneau cover, but wrap something waterproof around it?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I've never owned a car that isn't waterproof.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I have a lot of experience but I wash one panel or section at a time with lots of suds. No nozzel on the hose just free flowing water, very carfully. Dry with microfiber opening hood, doors and trunk. Done.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Gen I's if you use a sprayer they are gonna get a little wet inside. Best bet is to not use the sprayer and let the water sheet off on a medium presure. After you are done you will have to dry various parts of the inside.

No big deal, not much inside to hurt.

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mangle - May want to consider going to Home Depot and getting a $100.00 compressor to blow out the water in the hard to get spots that drive us all crazy. Works great and you can always use a good portable compressor around the garage. I have a HUSKY, Air Scout, 1.5 gallon, 135 PSI.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its just a car....wash it

Very true but there are folks out there that have difficulty finding the "little man in the boat" but have incredible patience and too much time when it comes to washing their Viper to perfection. :D

It's not not the washing, it's the drying! With all it's nooks and crannies, get a leaf blower to get out all the water....

Agreed. I use an old Sears electric leaf blower to dry my Viper...no towels of any kind except for the door sills where water gets trapped.

I do put on the hard top when washing my RT/10 and I roll up the windows too. :) If you have a Vec installed you may want to cover it with a plastic baggie as water will pour on it from the driver's side vent (Speaker Grill) on the hood.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive the car after washing and all the water is GONE. :drive:

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I go to the track, the hard top is always on. when I get home I give it a good wash before the hard top comes off. some water will get in..... Big deal.

"don't sweat the small stuff"

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be careful and dry any spots on inside when you are done.

Make sure you use 2 bucket method, wash with nice sheep skin or MF mitt. When done sheet water off with hose and nozzle removed (in areas where water won't go inside car) then blow dry with a 220mph elec Toro Leaf Blower. Follow up with a nice soft waffle weave drying towel after blower to get any spots you misssed.

Or you may want to investigate doing it the QEW way. I am pretty sure I outlined this on this forum, just do a search. If you cannot find it do a search on Autopia.org for either QEW or ONR and you will find tons of great info on it. QEW is MUCH better than trying to do it with QD as the QD way WILL introduce scratches.