sad news...viper plant shuttered until end June.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce-

We have been trading emails with this same "SRT representative" and we have a thread being started on this topic from Cathy, who started the discussion with him, I think we are able to quote him (use the email). It states what you pointed out, plus some more detail.

What is not being said, but I have heard (and cannot attribute this directly to SRT, but from those that speak with them in a serious capacity) that something cool is in the works, which jives with the "interesting" comment.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a quote from the other site just posted in their corresponding shutdown thread...

"During our board call last night an SRT representative explained the plant shutdown to us. Essentially, no the Viper is not going away. Orders this month are up over last month. SRT is happy with the orders received so far for the 2014 Viper but wants inventory on dealer lots to thin out. The plant will be retooled in June-July to start production of the 2015 GenV. No details were given about the 2015 GenV but based on what was said it will be "interesting" according to our SRT representative.

I asked about the "internal horsepower war" that Ralph mentioned in one of his interviews regarding the Challenger, Viper. Again, the answer was that it will/is leading to "interesting things". We asked about the vert, etc. but our rep couldn't give details which is understandable. If the Viper is going away then SRT is certainly not acting in that manner. I think that interesting things are certainly coming in due time."

Very cool info. I can't wait to see their take on "interesting" in regard the Viper, unless that was just used to refer to what SRT is coming out with in the future as a whole and not necessarily Viper specific. I agree with that quote above on how SRT is acting. Similarly Ralph does not act like a CEO thats worried at all. It would seem that some of us, myself included, have given him and SRT far less leeway than Fiat has. Time will tell but those words quoted above are very encouraging overall.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the manufacturing plant is being shut down to allow dealer inventories to get more inline with the marketplace, I would imagine that the designers, engineers, software, interior paint designers and other individuals are still hard at work. Perhaps they will use this time to hone and massage the Viper to take into consideration the changing consumer marketplace as well.

Ever since 1992 the Viper team has had a policy of constant refinement. While the cars coming down the assembly line today share the same DNA as the very first Viper, they have been enhanced in almost every way possible. Every change has been met with supporters and antagonists (Roll up windows...BLASPHEMY!) but the Vipers roll on and continue to dominate the road courses of the world.

Most everyone will be biting their nails in anticipation to see what they come up with next.

Meanwhile, some great deals are available at your friendly local SRT dealer.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob I'm aware of Howard Stern's success. Nothing I said about him isn't anything he doesn't say about himself on a daily basis. I like your car, I like this site, my wife would tell you I'm obsessed with Vipers, and I don't bash the car on other forums. You made an analogy to me not long ago about the new Viper being a " beautiful woman at the bar that I surmised was out of my reach and snobby before I ever even talked to her". Here's an analogy that fits me more accurately: SRT failed to produce a Viper that was so damn **** and seductive that I would have given up all I had to have her.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how would you know? You have not driven or closely inspected one. I have no problem with someone who has closely inspected the car; driven one at speed;maneuvered it a bit, saying - "Not for me". What gets me is the people who make negative posts on a repeated basis without doing so while at the same time professing to care about the existence of the Viper.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Meanwhile, some great deals are available at your friendly local SRT dealer.

I couldn't agree more. I watched the prices come down until I couldn't resist. I just got a great deal on a 2013 GTS. Its time for all the Monday morning quarterbacks to get off their computers and go buy a great car.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've closely inspected several. One being a totally optioned GTS. Haven't had the chance to drive one, but without a lopey cam or the whine of a twin screw supercharger I'm sure it would be slightly underwhelming. The Viper may live, it may die. Either way I love them. I'm sure there are a few things you don't like about previous Gen's...."kit carish and poor fit and finish" etc. Doesn't mean you don't love them. Pretty smooth tactics from some of you Gen V owners: Any criticism is met with a rebuttal of "you must not love the Viper or care about it's existence". I remember the Democrats calling anyone who criticized Obama a "racist" too.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't you more of a drag racing guy Bob? I remember a post where you commented how Nine Ball's 10 second pass in the quarter motivated you to buy your Gen V.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a Race - ist. Road race. Drag race. Standing mile. Been addicted to velocity and acceleration since the age of eleven. And it was very hard to experince that in the Triassic period. Dinosaurs were always getting in the way.

Arrange a spirited test drive of the Gen V. If you still feel the same way, let us know.

640bhpV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've closely inspected several. One being a totally optioned GTS. Haven't had the chance to drive one, but without a lopey cam or the whine of a twin screw supercharger I'm sure it would be slightly underwhelming.

The stock idle is pretty lopey - sounded pretty similar to a GenIII with custom cams/heads and totally built engine (that was next to me at a drive event). In the context of fit/finish, handling balance, transitional behaviors, and interior quality - yes the car is more refined. In just about every regard it is just as intense as prior Vipers. My car rides more stiffly and is much louder than the Gen2. It is about as loud as a Gen2 with a muffler delete. This is not a subtle machine.

It's true - the car is not as loud or crazy as a heavily modified Viper, but...stock cars never are.

Actually, looking at your list of Gen2 mods - you were trying to create a GenV yourself (more power, bigger brakes, short shifter). You just need to add a lightweight fly wheel, chassis stiffening, carbon fiber body to shed ~150-200 lbs, and better suspension. Assuming that the car only picks up about 80 lbs from the supercharger, then you need about 700 hp to match the GenVs power-to-weight ratio.

Whats wrong with wanting this from the factory?

-Nick

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have some of the mods you mention, just ran out of space to add them. I have the Stoptech 6 piston front 4 piston back with 15 inch rotors...( the ones Bushido has been touting.) Will be going 10lb. pulley and water **** injection soon. Um, as my car stands right now, I'm pretty sure it would out pull a Gen V....but as I heard someone here mention, "you could modify a Pinto to out pull a Gen V". I'm just gonna sit tight a few years and if Ralph and Team Viper can come up with the money to do a sick ass redesign, I'll dive in. If not, maybe I'll pick up a low mile Gen V for 40 or 50k in a few years. : )

640bhpV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have some of the mods you mention, just ran out of space to add them. I have the Stoptech 6 piston front 4 piston back with 15 inch rotors...( the ones Bushido has been touting.) Will be going 10lb. pulley and water **** injection soon. Um, as my car stands right now, I'm pretty sure it would out pull a Gen V....but as I heard someone here mention, "you could modify a Pinto to out pull a Gen V". I'm just gonna sit tight a few years and if Ralph and Team Viper can come up with the money to do a sick ass redesign, I'll dive in. If not, maybe I'll pick up a low mile Gen V for 40 or 50k in a few years. : )

Sure...if it depreciates like the Gen2 then it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, I didn't say that GenV was faster than your car (though it might be...). I was more interested in why you are surprised that we would want a car that is essentially a factory-backed version of the car you have (minus water/**** injection, etc)?

Plus, it would be hard to pull a GenV where I live, our roads curve.

-Nick

640bhpV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone's real issue with these posts is your lack of experience with the GenV.

With that in mind, my daughter has a book that might be insightful. Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham.

Have a good evening,

Nick

Last edited:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how would you know? You have not driven or closely inspected one. I have no problem with someone who has closely inspected the car; driven one at speed;maneuvered it a bit, saying - "Not for me". What gets me is the people who make negative posts on a repeated basis without doing so while at the same time professing to care about the existence of the Viper.
Nicely put!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I being dog piled VCA style? Bob has agreed to let me take his T/A on a "spirited" drive at VOI 13.....

91Z07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3437695-a-corvette-competitor.html

N
ot trying to fan the flames on this issue, but a different perspective from the competition's point of view, bringing up a lot of the same issues others have pointed out here (pricing, content, vehicles not prepped well for magazine reviews, etc.)

Hopefully Ralph or another SRT representative will click on the link, read and take heed of what's being said, to make adjustments as needed for future SRT Vipers. :usa:

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3437695-a-corvette-competitor.html

N
ot trying to fan the flames on this issue, but a different perspective from the competition's point of view, bringing up a lot of the same issues others have pointed out here (pricing, content, vehicles not prepped well for magazine reviews, etc.)

Hopefully Ralph or another SRT representative will click on the link, read and take heed of what's being said, to make adjustments as needed for future SRT Vipers. :usa:

As a current Corvette owner, and aspiring Viper owner, I think that thread is exactly what SRT needs to look at! SRT hit the nail on the head with the TA short of the ECM being easily modified. Hot rodders in general want the American muscle that is easily modified to their performance and appearances tastes. That's one area were (imo) SRT dropped the ball. I am more than happy with the stock performance but most buyers of the Vette or Viper are going to want the option FI or other performance mods.

I ride a Harley as well, and both the Harley and the Corvette are among the most modifiable iconic vehicles out there. The GEN V is a great platform but SRT needs to let the buyers decide what level of performance they want, not the Chrysler boardrooms. That also applies to someone spending a $140,000 for a GTS, they're going to want to option it to their tastes at that price, not some Dodge dealer checking the profit option boxes.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, production was halted to maintain exclusivity. And the PCM was locked to protect us from RSI.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing sounds better in the world that Gen.2 Cam....That was so bad ass stock... Had a 96 RT for about 4 months,ditched it as soon as I saw that B/W GTS and heard that cam...That was a Viper.Nothing ran with that car at the time.... That is the position needs to be in now a days..

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free2go " I'm just gonna sit tight a few years and if Ralph and Team Viper can come up with the money to do a sick ass redesign, I'll dive in."

IM WITH YOU ON THIS FREE2GO,

BOB "You have not driven or closely inspected one. I have no problem with someone who has closely inspected the car; saying - "Not for me".

BOB, I HAVE: AND IM TELLING YOU THE CAR IS NOT FOR ME. I WANTED A NEW AND REDESIGNED CAR NOT A REDO OF MY "96" WITH THE SAME OBSTRUCTED REAR WINDOW AS MY 06 COUPE. BTW I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR AT SPEED BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO. AS IT LOOKS I DON'T WANT IT. YOU SEEM LIKE AN INTELLIGENT GUY, DON'T KNOW WHY YOU CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THIS.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V Vipers are not for everybody.

Each Generation has people willing to step up to purchase, but only a few. Most consumers will have no interest in buying any Viper. Believe that is just the way it is.

For people to forum argue about whether a specific Viper is good or bad totally depends on their point of view. They ones that like it may buy one. The ones that do not have it speak to them...won't.

The ones that buy one are surprised that everyone does not buy them. The ones that don't appreciate them will most likely never understand those that do.

Some people will only buy a yellow Viper. Some people would never buy a yellow Viper. That is just the way it is, and no amount of forum banter will change either camp.

If most Viper owners were given the opportunity to trade their existing Viper for a brand new Gen V Viper of their choosing, most would do it in a heartbeat. Some of the ones that would not trade are those that have so much money invested in upgrades on their current Viper that it may not make financial sense.

It just might only be a money thing after all.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking back and I did not find a place that Bob or any other GenV owner challenged someone if they did not like the looks of the car, unless they have not seen in person. Agree, if you don't like the body style, then no need to drive. I do wonder though why even follow the GenV forum though as clearly not the car for you.

Now, for those that complain about a HP # or claim the car is not that different driving or feel than prior Gens deserve to be asked if they have driven the car or not, right?

Free2go " I'm just gonna sit tight a few years and if Ralph and Team Viper can come up with the money to do a sick ass redesign, I'll dive in."

BOB "You have not driven or closely inspected one. I have no problem with someone who has closely inspected the car; saying - "Not for me".

BOB, I HAVE: AND IM TELLING YOU THE CAR IS NOT FOR ME. I WANTED A NEW AND REDESIGNED CAR NOT A REDO OF MY "96" WITH THE SAME OBSTRUCTED REAR WINDOW AS MY 06 COUPE. BTW I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR AT SPEED BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO. AS IT LOOKS I DON'T WANT IT. YOU SEEM LIKE AN INTELLIGENT GUY, DON'T KNOW WHY YOU CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THIS.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
A close inspection should demonstrate that the Gen V is in no way just a redo of a 1996 Gen II vehicle. Does it have some design cues to identify it as a Viper like all Porsche 911s do to identify them as Porsche 911s? Yes.

But can you honestly say that your 1996 Viper looks like this? C'mon. But, if you really think so, more power to you. Enjoy your beast. All Vipers are great cars.

One more thing. Taking a spirited drive in a Gen V might effect how you perceive the physical appearance. Right now, your senses are allowing you to emphacize the similarities due to the design cues. After you take a spirited drive in one, that may change.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob and few of the other Gen V owners have definitely made a solid case in their defense of the car. I could rebutt their points, but until I got into the car and drove it like I drive my own...there is really no way I can compare other than imagination. The Black T/A looks hotter than ****** Brown's daughter. Black suits the Gen V very well. It hides one of the things that ****** me off about the car (those cheesy ass screws in the wheel wells.) You Gen V guys are truly pioneers...front runners if I may say so. But the trouble with front runners is that they rarely win. The winner is the guy who paces himself. For example: somewhere in the USA a guy just bought a black T/A (the types of people who buy these cars tend to take DAMN good care of them and most will never drag or track the car.) He will baby it, maybe actually wipe it down with a diaper....garage kept...no rain etc. etc. Boredom, death, divorce, bankruptcy may enter the picture just as the car is fully broken in. Upon deciding to sell the car he will feel a stiff wind in his face....the wind created by my Vulture like wings swooping in to relieve him of his burden. 50% off MSRP to boot!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read your posts with interest, but then always get left with "what was his point and what was he trying to get across and lastly, why did he even take the time to write it?" Well, this one makes me ask the same questions over again. What is the point? That you can buy a used car down the road for less money than it was new? Is that a revelation worthy of a post? I am seriously just trying to determine the purpose.

Bob and few of the other Gen V owners have definitely made a solid case in their defense of the car. I could rebutt their points, but until I got into the car and drove it like I drive my own...there is really no way I can compare other than imagination. The Black T/A looks hotter than ****** Brown's daughter. Black suits the Gen V very well. It hides one of the things that ****** me off about the car (those cheesy ass screws in the wheel wells.) You Gen V guys are truly pioneers...front runners if I may say so. But the trouble with front runners is that they rarely win. The winner is the guy who paces himself. For example: somewhere in the USA a guy just bought a black T/A (the types of people who buy these cars tend to take DAMN good care of them and most will never drag or track the car.) He will baby it, maybe actually wipe it down with a diaper....garage kept...no rain etc. etc. Boredom, death, divorce, bankruptcy may enter the picture just as the car is fully broken in. Upon deciding to sell the car he will feel a stiff wind in his face....the wind created by my Vulture like wings swooping in to relieve him of his burden. 50% off MSRP to boot!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 Comm...your points are valid. I find myself wondering the same thing this morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets