Saw this Gen 5 Viper Dodge dealer ad today...

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New 2013 SRT Viper GTS, 5 in stock.
Starting at $122, 590.
Save $12,000.

This is the first dealer advertisement that I've seen for the new Viper. With 5 in stock for such a low production quantity car, it doesn't seem like there is very much demand...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the hook to get u in the door...do u really think they'd sell for thousands less than invoice when the 14's haven't arrived yet?

and if it is legit & u think its such a great deal, why don't u just buy it?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the hook to get u in the door...do u really think they'd sell for thousands less than invoice when the 14's haven't arrived yet?

It is a $134000 liability for a dealership that usually sells $20000 cars

They want to stop paying interest :p

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If this is the dealer I think it is, it's 100% legit and they will give an even better deal to SoCal VCA members.

OP
OP
T

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't create this thread mentioning the ad because I thought it was a good deal. It's out of my price range, whether or not it is a good deal. I mention the ad because it seems to indicate that there isn't much demand for the 2013 Viper.

I'm assuming that the 5 Vipers the dealer has were accumulated gradually, rather than all 5 arriving together.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand fellow Viper owners that want to keep posting "sky is falling" threads about their beloved Viper. All you do is perpetuate the negativity, and indirectly decrease the values of your own Vipers. Complaining seems like a cancer on this site. Go to a Porsche or Lambo site and you couldn't pay those guys to complain about their cars.

We need more positive Viper press, not negative. That goes for all generations of the car.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand fellow Viper owners that want to keep posting "sky is falling" threads about their beloved Viper. All you do is perpetuate the negativity, and indirectly decrease the values of your own Vipers. Complaining seems like a cancer on this site. Go to a Porsche or Lambo site and you couldn't pay those guys to complain about their cars.

We need more positive Viper press, not negative. That goes for all generations of the car.

True but Porsche and Lambo manage to meet every single expectation of their customers. SRT managed to meet a lot, but there are still quite a few left out. I don't see a lot of "man I wish manufacturer X would have given us this". Why? Because manufacturer X already did give them "this".

Just my opinion. But you are 100% correct the negativity needs to stop. No sense in driving the values down. There is room for complaining and many (myself included) have done our share, but that time has (should have) passed.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So how are you intending to make a car better if anything that is posted is a praise instead of personal opinions identifying issues that when addressed would help sell more Vipers? Gen 4 have been sitting at the dealers for many years, before Gen 5 showed up. There is a lot of hostility but you may want to re-read your own post to find out where it comes from.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The facts present themselves as they are. Nothing more , nothing less....it is what it is.

It is NOT negative to post the facts.

Mr. Thom is just posting what he observed. nothing more. And for those who say he is lying, there are new untitled Vipers being sold for $8000 off sticker. I posted them here before but the thread was removed because I did not know the guideline rules that prohibit outside promotion of dealers who do not advertise here on the VCA site. Seems totally reasonable, and I understand.

The complaining is bad short term, but good long term.

The real truth about any car is if it sells in the market place. Nothing more. If it dosen't sell then people are expressing the fact that they do not think the car offers anything the market wants.

I had a conversation with a friend that knows very little about cars and mentioned Ferrari, and the first thing out of his mouth were " I hear they are extreemly expensive to maintain"
Should Ferrari owners just never talk about the maintenance costs so their values do not go down ? Instead, the complaints finally got Ferrari to get rid of the rubber timing belt.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's legit, I'm interested in seeing what they have. I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone with those levels of discounts that were legit. PM me the dealer, please.

I looked into discounted Vipers in the past. Those dealers were lying. They were offering the Chrysler Employee Discount, only to employees and not to me of course. But that's BS, because the Viper is excluded from that employee discount. In those cases, they were hooks to get you in the door, as Policy said.

I am starting to see a few discounted Vipers, this does not concern me. For years, I've seen the Corvette deeply discounted all over the place, $10K to $20K. Last night, I bought a Ford Flex for $10K under a sticker price of $50K. I bought my Dodge Durango for $10.1K under sticker of $30K, I bought my Suburban for $7.5K under a sticker of $40K. This happens, it doesn't mean the end for the Viper.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's legit, I'm interested in seeing what they have. I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone with those levels of discounts that were legit. PM me the dealer, please.

I looked into discounted Vipers in the past. Those dealers were lying. They were offering the Chrysler Employee Discount, only to employees and not to me of course. But that's BS, because the Viper is excluded from that employee discount. In those cases, they were hooks to get you in the door, as Policy said.

I am starting to see a few discounted Vipers, this does not concern me. For years, I've seen the Corvette deeply discounted all over the place, $10K to $20K. Last night, I bought a Ford Flex for $10K under a sticker price of $50K. I bought my Dodge Durango for $10.1K under sticker of $30K, I bought my Suburban for $7.5K under a sticker of $40K. This happens, it doesn't mean the end for the Viper.

Just sent you the PM.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just did a google search and found it no problem. $122,590 on a GTS 2013 with 4 others listed.

Looks like the 12k off is a 'coupon' that is applied only to that specific unit, not sure if they are giving any similar discounts to the other 4 Vipers but of course one can always negotiate.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealers near me are starting to offer massive discounts as well on the viper. Idk for this price with the discount I think it is worth it. You are in zr1 price territory now well at least zr1 MSRP territory. Maybe people won't want it because it is still too expensive even at 130k with 10k off. Probably if they added a better suspension mostly in the shocks and a better exhaust note it would sell better. And offer a dual clutch. Other than that it is perfectly fine. It is reasonable to expect a higher price for a hand made car with a paint job worth 10k in itself if we were to replicate at retail.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I looked at the So Cal dealer discounting, and they don't have the options that I'd consider. I would like to find a GTS with no options, preferably black with a $12K discount. That could make me jump ship on this ridiculous wait and pick one up. That would be $30k less than the car I have on order, I could live without the Stryker Red for that.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting take here on being an optimist or a pesimist.

Pesimist says the sky is falling. Discount on a Viper means the end of the world, and that sales are bad.

Optimist says "What a great deal. I better hustle on down and pick up one while they are on sale."

Perhaps it is a dealer making a purchasing committment to their dealership to move a lot of Viper and become the Viper Go-To dealer in the region. Want to get their allotments up for next year.

It may be just that the ordering recently opened up for the 2014's and that he has a bunch of them coming in and needs to clear out his 2013's.

No matter. I see tons of newspaper advertising and internet advertising for all sorts of automobiles. Almost all of the are using price to get you in the door so they have a shot at your business. They often have a loss leader that has strings attached, has been in stock for a while and racking up floorplanning interest costs, or has less desirable colors or options. See nothing to be concerned about here except for the pisimists.

Over the years I have seen Vipers sell at high premiums (92, 96, and ACR) I have also seen them discounted when production ramped up too high for the market. Pretty normal stuff here.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent perspective, Paul, agree with everything you said.

The practical side of me has pushed me to the optimist category, LOL. I want my damn Viper, and I want it now! :D

So now that bargains are to be had, I may jump on it. Again, $12K off a no-option GTS = $30k less than my Stryker Red. That's worth it to me. In fact, that discount nearly pays for my $36K Camaro track car that I recently purchased. A black GTS and a Camaro for the price of a Stryker Red GTS? Sold.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local dealer here in Sacramento has a blue Gen V $171000.00 ! I think it will be on the showroom floor for awhile.....way crazy price.....

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost any car produced will depreciate as the years pass regardless, even if they have zero miles and are never used.

So if you want a Viper gen5 then just buy it. It should not be an investment .

People posting about prices being discounted, like me, only post to indicate that demand is less than what is produced for the market. Very simple. Thanks all.

I see discounts now for 2013 Corvettes, also for $8000 off sticker. What does that tell you ? No one wants them ....and they are hard to sell.

Why would anyone prefer a 2013 Corvette over a similarly priced 2014 C7 with better/newer technology? Only if they are given a $8000 discount on a new C6.

Same with 2013 Viper. Only way SRT dealers can move the 2013 Viper is to discount as they are doing now because for the same price you can get Porsche GT3 or Turbo with better technology.

The market sets the selling price of the gen 5 Viper, NOT the silly chatter on this forum, despite what people posting here believe.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and the market price is what the sale closes for, not what some silly dealer tacks on top of the window sticker, or some low ball advertisement meant to draw some one in to the showroom just to find out the car that was advertised was "sold" but they have another that they will sell you without the discount.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting take here on being an optimist or a pesimist.

Pesimist says the sky is falling. Discount on a Viper means the end of the world, and that sales are bad.

Optimist says "What a great deal. I better hustle on down and pick up one while they are on sale."

Perhaps it is a dealer making a purchasing committment to their dealership to move a lot of Viper and become the Viper Go-To dealer in the region. Want to get their allotments up for next year.

It may be just that the ordering recently opened up for the 2014's and that he has a bunch of them coming in and needs to clear out his 2013's.

No matter. I see tons of newspaper advertising and internet advertising for all sorts of automobiles. Almost all of the are using price to get you in the door so they have a shot at your business. They often have a loss leader that has strings attached, has been in stock for a while and racking up floorplanning interest costs, or has less desirable colors or options. See nothing to be concerned about here except for the pisimists.

Over the years I have seen Vipers sell at high premiums (92, 96, and ACR) I have also seen them discounted when production ramped up too high for the market. Pretty normal stuff here.

Bingo. Exactly. They sky isn't falling, this is normal.

When I'm driving my 2013 Viper, I honestly couldn't care less that there are other cars still sitting on the lots. I'm out enjoying mine. Optimist speaking, if fewer people are experiencing the car, then that just makes those who own them even a more rare bunch. If someone were to buy the exact same car as me, for a discounted price, I'd congratulate them. I wouldn't care that I spent more, I got what I wanted. Just a different perspective. If they don't sell well, and they stop making them, I already have mine. Maybe the values will then do what the Ford GT's did. Those sat around and were heavily discounted, too.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their are new Gen 5s all over the place in South Florida. .None/Very Few selling for months. Not a good situation for the future of the Viper. What will get these cars selling is a bump in HP and a Duel Clutch Transmission.(Shifting ***** to most people) All the ********* Viper people got or are getting their Gen.5.s Those new people SRT was courting are not interested.
Esp.if you can buy a new 2014 Porsche GT3 or Base 911 Turbo (DCT/PDK) for the price of a loaded Gen 5 GTS. Those Porsches are at a whole different level then a Viper...

Their will be a big fire sale of the 13 Vipers in a couple months for sure...

I hope SRT does some real/Wow improvements for the 14 Vipers or they will be done..

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't desire for these to sell thousands a year. IMO they should be built to order and limited. The reason you see them sitting is because of greedy dealers ordering up fully loaded GTS's which increased the price by 50% over the previous gen IV coupe. Stupid.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly and they(SRT) blow off their best repeat customers.Big,Big mistake. I know two personally that canceled orders and will never buy a Viper again.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of three that cancelled their orders, but still ended up buying other new Vipers anyways. They couldn't resist, once they saw them sitting on the lot.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly and they(SRT) blow off their best repeat customers.Big,Big mistake. I know two personally that canceled orders and will never buy a Viper again.

I'm in that boat too.

Also, the $25k "SRT License Fee" was a stupid idea. All it did was cause the greedy dealers to excessively mark up their Vipers in an attempt to recoup those costs immediately and that, in turn, turned off a lot of potential buyers. Now those cars are still languishing on the lots and Dodge still has the same old set of crappy dealers trying to sell and service cars that are way more expensive than most of then have any business dealing with.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

totally agree

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo. Exactly. They sky isn't falling, this is normal.

When I'm driving my 2013 Viper, I honestly couldn't care less that there are other cars still sitting on the lots. I'm out enjoying mine. Optimist speaking, if fewer people are experiencing the car, then that just makes those who own them even a more rare bunch. If someone were to buy the exact same car as me, for a discounted price, I'd congratulate them. I wouldn't care that I spent more, I got what I wanted. Just a different perspective. If they don't sell well, and they stop making them, I already have mine. Maybe the values will then do what the Ford GT's did. Those sat around and were heavily discounted, too.

The FGT was a real exotic and the only american super car. And it stopped production because it became illegal to make not because it couldn't sell. It was those 2 characteristics that made them highly sought after and the viper nor zr1 or anything like that will replicate it.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't desire for these to sell thousands a year. IMO they should be built to order and limited. The reason you see them sitting is because of greedy dealers ordering up fully loaded GTS's which increased the price by 50% over the previous gen IV coupe. Stupid.

The GTS was the whole point of the car. The base SRT is the same mentality as before. It was the GTS that attracted all the non viper owners not the same formula which is the base SRT. They just kept that base one to make all the previous owners happy so they wouldn't hear them ******** about it later. Ralph has essentially said that in a much nicer way in many interviews. But the whole focus is the GTS. The selling point of this car is that it is now refined and can compete with European brands. But yes as the market has now confirmed the price is too high.