Scratch made with a key - help please ...

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A real tough guy used what had to be a key (or similar) to put a 1.5" scratch on the hood of my brand new Bright Blue Viper. It is right in front of where the scoop is. Of course I am being sarcastic about the "tough guy" because if I had caught him, it would have been his last act ever. What losers there are out there but now to deal with it.

Can I "try" to buff it out (I tried Scratch X to no avail) ... or really just to a better look? It is white because I assume it is below all the paint (if I can feel it without looking, does that mean that?).

Will I have to have the entire hood repainted to fix it? I know I am asking you all without you seeing it, it looks like a cat's white whisker or fairly thick cat's hair from 4-6 feet away.

I see it easily and it is so disheartening. Any help on minimizing the look (damage) without going to those (repainting) extremes would be appreciated greatly. What about a pen-like "fill-in" touch-up of the exact color? Does the factory make such? I know I cannot use a typical tough-up brush (too thick) and I do not want to go "outside" the margin / edge of the scratch.

Thanks guys ...

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know what to use but I know the feeling. Last year when I picked up my 06 in FL I looked it over to make sure there wasn't any marks before I left but on my way up to Daytona Beach and spent the night on the beach...left in the morning and saw it has been keyed from the quarter panel on to the gas cover then all the way on to the door then back a lil bit. I was thinkin of contact dateline or something lol do a case on this to catch em. Like the stupid idiots that goes after 13yo's.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a professional touch up guy. They can make it to where it is even less noticeable for a reasonable price. They have a small tool that looks like a tiny smokers pipe, they put a tiny bit of paint in it and touch the bottom of that pipe to the scratch. It fills in the scratch then they buff it. I have seen these guys work wonders on my old vehicles.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume some of the scratch is below the clear coat but probably not all of it!

I've successfully used Zaino Fusion for minor scratches and scuffs marks. It has worked wonders for me. It is mildly abrasive stripping away some of the clear coat and eventually removes the blemish. It is VERY easy on the finish and works very slowly as you rub. There are more aggressive products out there but this is great for beginners because it's safe...as long as you don't mind a little extra rubbing labor. :D

The beginning and end of the scratch is usually not as deep and I bet you could get the scratch removed in those areas at the very least. That would minimize the touch up involved.

Someone side swiped my brother-in law's black 4 runner last year and left fine scratches and scuff mark about a 1 1/2 feet long on his rear fender. With the exception of about a 1" area, we rubbed it out completely with Zaino Fusion.

I think it would be worth a try. Maybe you could get the 1 1/2" scratch down to 1/2" and minimize the touch-up job.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get the touch up paint from Dodge then try using it. I had this happen once and used the paint but had a toothpick for an applicator. That way it wasnt too think when it went on. Once it dried I too a clay bar and some polish and smoothed it out. It worked very well and wasnt noticable.

Funny story on this was when the car was keyed it was the only night it sat out without a cover on it. So I knew it was someone local. A month later I went on a 12 hour drive and got back, was too tired to detail it down so no cover again, and guess what??? The same place was keyed. The only difference this time was I had paint protection film over the area. I replaced the piece of film and left it sitting in the open (watching it of course). I am sure the A-hole who did it was shocked when he saw he didnt do any damamge to the paint. I just wish I could have caught the idiot who did it...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u can feel it with ur fingernail,no fixen it,get it airbrushed by a pro,it will blend the paint and u wont see a color diff,just have it blended only in the small area of the scratch,thatway u have a 95% guarantee it will match...

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iron, Don't repaint the hood for this. Its not worth it.... If you paint the hood, it could be something you need to "explain" when selling the car. Then of course questions arise.. Was it wrecked, etc,etc.

Can you take some pictures and post...??

First step. Go to a (dodge dealer) and order the exact paint. Don't buy the paint from the charts at the auto parts store. It needs to be exact color code, to look correct.

If you want, shoot me a PM.. With creative touch up paint work, 2000 grit wet,scratch-X and some time. You can make this undetectable. But I would not paint the hood.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is too deep to use scratch-X, what about having the small area in front of the scoop painted flat black? It would take care of the scratch and make the car look a little different than all the others. Just my $.02.................

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with it. I have a silver BMW 330 CI convertible that someone has put about a 10 inch key mark across the hood just above the front hood edge. Makes me ill to think what jerks walk around doing crap like that ... their parents must be so proud of them. I don't think of my 330 as 'exotic' or a d!ck magnet, it's my commuter car for Pete's sake, whatcha gonna do.

Reminds me of Travolta in Pulp Fiction talking about a guy keying his car, "What kinda man keys another mans car, it would of been worth havin' him doin it, if I'd have caught him doin it".

Anyway, I've been to BMW, three autobody places & 2 detailers, all said the same thing, the scratch is thru the clear & color, need to do a hood repaint, no simple fix. But mine sounds longer, and my paint is very metalic so I don't think only painting a spot on the hood can be matched. Again, good luck with it, bro.

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never understood the low-life mentality of doing such a thing. But I have also experienced this first hand. Not with the Viper, but with other vehicles that generally cost as much if not more than some homes in the area. But then again...being from KY (except for a select few) that's not saying too much.:lmao:

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the attention this car gets I just assume this is likely to happen. I'd never use this
Car as daily driver.

A hyperdermic needle, touch up paint with reducer light sanding buffering you could do it yourself.
A net search should show steps.

Learning how to airbrush is worthwhile if these things really get to you.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
I would go absolutely crazy until I was satisfied with the match. Don't second guess yourself. If it means that much to you, find the best paint and body shop you can, let them give you an assessment and get a second opinion. Then go from there.

And yes it's a sad social commentary that anyone would intentionally do this, with or without an agenda.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first time I took my ACR out it was with my wife to eat at a fancy restaurant .

They sat us at a window with a view of my snake.

I jokingly said nice car I wonder who it belongs to?

Within in 2 minutes of me saying that three punk kids roll up in a custom painted Buick and started spitting on my car for no reason.

I calmly got up from my table (after all we were somewhere fancy) walked out the front door and beat the **** out of two of the three, the third took off I the car leaving his two buddies behind.

I finally caught up with the third guy, instead of beating the **** out of him I took a rock and “keyed” up his car to the point it needed a paint job and as I was leaving I smashed out the front and back window.

I went back into the restaurant and sat down like nothing ever happened.

The bar tender walked up to me handed me a bag of ice and said that was great, and said drinks are on the house.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I took my ACR out it was with my wife to eat at a fancy restaurant .

Within in 2 minutes of me saying that three punk kids roll up in a custom painted Buick and started spitting on my car for no reason.

I calmly got up from my table (after all we were somewhere fancy) walked out the front door and beat the **** out of two of the three, the third took off I the car leaving his two buddies behind.

I finally caught up with the third guy, instead of beating the **** out of him I took a rock and “keyed” up his car to the point it needed a paint job and as I was leaving I smashed out the front and back window.

The bar tender walked up to me handed me a bag of ice and said that was great, and said drinks are on the house.

i'm sure many here lived vicariously through your story :2tu:

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I simply can not understand for the life of me why someone would do that to a car like that?

The punks I beat that day said they were going to call the cops.

I said go right ahead I'll be waiting.

I sat there for about 2 hours enjoyed my meal had quite a few drinks and no cops ever showed up.

Like they're going to do anything to me anyway. I mean come on it's VEGAS!

Come to think about it I still have a couple of bone chips on my knuckles from that day. :omg:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you still see it if you wet it? If so it may be through to the primer and will require some paint work.

Can you feel it with your fingernail? If so it "may" not buff out. If not it can almost definitely be fixed with a buffer.

Needless to say pics would help.

Obviously I would try wet sanding first, next step would be to try to blow in a little color/base coat and then clear.

Of course worst case scenereo you will probably need to clear the panel. I am not really a body man so you best bet would be to talk to a paint guy/professional touch up guy. Get recommendations. You may also want to consult a good detailer first. Try to get a recomendation off of Autopia.org for somebody good in your area.

Obviously start with the least aggressive fix and work your way up. Don't jump into a body shop until all other avenues have been exhausted.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would be helpful to have a photo of some sort to get an idea of what we are talking about here. Regardless, it still *****...

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My girlfriends black Monte Carlo SS got keyed on the drivers side door......we caught they guy and he was charged......his age 72....NICE. When the cops showed up at his door he confessed and once we had an estimate ...he paid for the repair in full. Now I will be using a syringe, a reduced black paint, 2000 grit, a whole lot of patience and will fix it myself. Thank goodness its not metallic.

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:clap::clap::clap::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap::clap::clap::owned:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repaint the hood

I agree if it needs it? First I would wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit and then buff it and see how it looks, because it may only be in the clearcoat? If not get it painted, what's the big deal? Its 2009 shops now adays can do undetectable repairs, it ***** it happened but hell something could fly off another car driving down the road and could do worse than a scratch and you would have to repair for that.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and opinions guys. I will take a pic later and post it (I have been out-of-town for a couple days, so just saw all this from the initial post. I would not repaint the entire hood over this and know to go from least invasive upwards, and I know a rock could do it.

I think I reacted so strong because things are tough & tight right now ... and for someone to go out of their way to f--- with me is a mistake. Never in my life have f---ed with someone first ... but when they do with me, I will (if in front of me) exact on them like there is no tomorrow (for them).

If I cannot enjoy it by driving it once in a while without some piss-ass punk doing something like this, then ... Anyway, sorry for the vent, one day someone will get caught like the story above ... and I am glad he pounded them ... they earned it and owned it.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea - they **** - hard to take - you guys probably think too small to concern - but I see it well and you would too in person - and it was for sure from a key or made by a person - not rock chip

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte