SCT PROGRAMMER.....

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
same thing, but to get the most out of it a dyno tune is the way to go.

Some guys consider the "program" the software to upload tunes TO the programmer.

For instance you can buy blank SCT units sometimes for cheap, with the program, but it's useless without a TUNE file. :drive:

Or worse, if you grab one that has had a tune in it and flashed to a car already. Then it is a paperweight.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good point Tom.

The SCT is just a blank tool that tuners use to put a calibration in for the end user. It can only be used on one car. Then it is married to it.

It can be used to read codes and change your calibration back to stock. If you want to make changes to the calibration, your tuner can e-mail more tunes to you.

OP
OP

06redviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a handlehd from an online auction, then took the car to a local shop to get a dyni tune...yesterday a got a call from the the shop telling me that cant get the tune done because the car was manufactured on 08/05 , and computer is different than 01/06 so the handheld doesnt work because of that? have you guys heard something like this before?

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i got a handlehd from an online auction, then took the car to a local shop to get a dyni tune...yesterday a got a call from the the shop telling me that cant get the tune done because the car was manufactured on 08/05 , and computer is different than 01/06 so the handheld doesnt work because of that? have you guys heard something like this before?
Weird.

You can put a 2006 file into a 2004 Viper, so should not be an issue. Perhaps as stated above, the unit has already been used to flash a car, so now it is locked to that vehicle?

That box also flashes SRT4 Neon and Hemi BTW.

OP
OP

06redviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just hung up with SCT and he was telling me that in fact that model (9550) should work with 03-06 viper , but if it is locked to another vehicle or used on more than one veicle then i would have to shipp out to them and get it re-flash as a new device ($150.00), right after talking to them i call the shop and the guys over there are telling me that the hanheld isn't locked to another car that the problem is my car, because of the month year it was manufactured(08/05) that there is some files missing from my pcm and thats why the handheld doesnt read it. he said he would call me today 4:30pm to let me know if there's something they can do or not. :(

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just hung up with SCT and he was telling me that in fact that model (9550) should work with 03-06 viper , but if it is locked to another vehicle or used on more than one veicle then i would have to shipp out to them and get it re-flash as a new device ($150.00), right after talking to them i call the shop and the guys over there are telling me that the hanheld isn't locked to another car that the problem is my car, because of the month year it was manufactured(08/05) that there is some files missing from my pcm and thats why the handheld doesnt read it. he said he would call me today 4:30pm to let me know if there's something they can do or not. :(

I have used SCT for the last 7 years with mustangs and now the Viper, if you down load the stock tune back to your car the SCT will be unlock and you can use it in another car up to 5 times. The SCT 9550 can be found brand new for 140.00 bucks. PM me if you need more info.

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buying it cheap is what got him into this mess. Had he spent a couple bucks extra and bought it from a Viper SCT tuner, they woulda taken care of him.

I dunno, it's a weird error message. Did the dynoshop have another unit they coulda tried?

Do me a favour, hook up the SCT and then read out the calibration code for your car.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying it cheap is what got him into this mess. Had he spent a couple bucks extra and bought it from a Viper SCT tuner, they woulda taken care of him.

I dunno, it's a weird error message. Did the dynoshop have another unit they coulda tried?

Do me a favour, hook up the SCT and then read out the calibration code for your car.

The place I got my SCT is a approve vendor , and the unit is brand new.

Last edited:
OP
OP

06redviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know i learned my lesson, but the problem isn't the sct handheld because isn't locked to any car is clean as new as what the shop is telling me. i dont know i probably just go get a new handheld unit.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know i learned my lesson, but the problem isn't the sct handheld because isn't locked to any car is clean as new as what the shop is telling me. i dont know i probably just go get a new handheld unit.
Some times if you take your car to the dealer they will update the pcm, they have different codes for the same pcm. Your tunner will have them if they are any good. Your SCT is fine is the program they are trying to used is no good.

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some times if you take your car to the dealer they will update the pcm, they have different codes for the same pcm. Your tunner will have them if they are any good. Your SCT is fine is the program they are trying to used is no good.

No, that is not the case. Like I said, you can easily put the latest 2006 calibration into a 2003 Viper, and there are no issues.

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hook up your SCT, turn the key on, and use the SCT to display your calibration ID, then post this up please.

It will be something like : 05030302ac

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont know about a lot of the info in this thread. Last week I bought a used SCT programmer from a VCA member. He had an 06. My car is an 05. TODAY I installed the low octane tune. It worked fine. It said that this is the second car its used on so it has one left. Thats THREE vehicles before it marries itself to the third vehicle. This is the handheld 9550 SVC tuner originally purchased from Roe Racing with three different octane tunes done by Roe. Picked it up for 350 bucks.

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont know about a lot of the info in this thread. Last week I bought a used SCT programmer from a VCA member. He had an 06. My car is an 05. TODAY I installed the low octane tune. It worked fine. It said that this is the second car its used on so it has one left. Thats THREE vehicles before it marries itself to the third vehicle. This is the handheld 9550 SVC tuner originally purchased from Roe Racing with three different octane tunes done by Roe. Picked it up for 350 bucks.

You are right, 3 "marriages" is correct. I didn't wanna come off as too much of a dick and correct everything that was said above. lol.

OP
OP

06redviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im about to go pick it up, ill get the calibration code this evening , thanx

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, that is not the case. Like I said, you can easily put the latest 2006 calibration into a 2003 Viper, and there are no issues.

While the PCM hardware is the same from 2003-2006, and you "Can" make it upload, it does not mean you should- the ENGINE hardware is NOT the same. 05 is the same as 06 hardware, and 03 is the same as 04 hardware.

05+ engines have knock sensors, while 04- engines do not. You don't want to upload a program from a car equipped with knock sensors into a PCM in a car without them...

Last edited:
OP
OP

06redviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OFFICIAL: Tuner shop couldnt do anything to the car, explanation was that the car was manufactured on late 06 and sct doesnt have a software for it, that tehy spend time on the phone with SCT and just couldnt make it to work on my car. the conclution was as per the technician exact words "that i have only 1 option, to install and program @ dealer a earlier 06 or 05 pcm in order to sct handheld to work". ...:(

DEVICE STATUS: unused ,ECM DATA: p/n blank ,
FW REV= 1.28 SN= ch0506100000c9c7
and i gues this is the calibration code : 05030302ac

the shop that i've been talking about is LateModelRacecraft HOUSTON,TX.

They seem pretty honest,so @ this point i dont know what to think.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
05030302ac

LOL, I have used that processor code more times than I can count.... something else is wrong, and/or they are full of it.

Sounds to me like someone doesnt know how SCT Dealer software works. If you aren't an SCT VIPER TUNER, your software doesn't tune VIPERS.

Last edited:

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was you I give RSI (racing solutions inc)a call, they used to be in Houston but they are closer to DFW now. They can take care of you. Your shop is full of it.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 with Dan, I to have used that processor code before. Something else is wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62