SCT Question.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess coming from the GM world of a powerful factory PCM with the ability to create custom OS' etc., it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the PCM is behind. I can understand it on the Gen I and II's, the 92-97 GM PCM's were similar, but the Gen III and IV Viper PCM's have to have the potential for it, it just needs to be found. Seems Viper X's car is ahead of the curve on this one.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the handheld is so popular? With most tuning programs for factory PCM's I've seen, you flash from the laptop with the box inline of a USB cable.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess coming from the GM world of a powerful factory PCM with the ability to create custom OS' etc., it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that the PCM is behind. I can understand it on the Gen I and II's, the 92-97 GM PCM's were similar, but the Gen III and IV Viper PCM's have to have the potential for it, it just needs to be found. Seems Viper X's car is ahead of the curve on this one.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the handheld is so popular? With most tuning programs for factory PCM's I've seen, you flash from the laptop with the box inline of a USB cable.

SCT is the Ford standard, it is new to the Viper community. i use HPtuners (GM standard) on another car, but, I like the flexibility of the SCT handheld. It (SCT) grows on you.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't believe it's so much that they are behind , it's just that there is not nearly the same market for Dodge tuning software. Also, GM and Chrysler go about things differently , GM uses a VE model taking advantage of both MAF and MAP , while Chrysler (up until the 08-> VENOM) has used a MAP based pulse width look-up , and there are only nine break points in the load axis of the fuel and timing look-up tables, which is what Dan Lesser was referring to when he was talking about limited resolution with 3 bar map sensors. Keep in mind that your time frame is not quite right, 92-95 uses SBEC2 , 96-98 is JTEC , 99-06 is JTEC+ , and 08-10 is VENOM .

The SCT 9550 hand held will work with all Vipers 96-06 , it is popular here because it is the only end user device capable of re-flashing these ecus at this time.

- Chris

DC Performance: Proven Performance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456