Searching For A GTS

Rafi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello folks. I've been lurking on and off around this forum in search of information about locating a 1996 to 2002 GTS for purchase. I've looked over various online auto trading services and had some nice ones slip away because I wasn't ready, quite yet, for the purchase. A stock Viper is preferable. If possible, I do not want to exceed a budget of $45k. Is my budget too low or should I just be patient and keep looking? I am located in Chicago (currently buried by snow) and will be ready for a purchase once warmer weather comes around. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rafi. The word "budget" implies to me that this is what you are limiting yourself to spend. If that's your limit then .... well .... that's your limit. You should research what condition a GTS will be in at that price point and decide are you willing to buy a GTS with those attributes.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a very nice high mileage RT/10 1999 with hard top. One owner, serviced by me since new. Has new tires, clutch and major service. Runs great.

30k Dan 310-597-6295

wkooiman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rafi - I don't think that's too low. You can certainly exceed that if you don't purchase the right car, though. If the car has been sitting for a long time, it will likely need a lot of maintenance - wheel bearings, brake/clutch fluid, etc. Tires are probably hard and unsafe. You can easily put $5K of repairs into a car that has been sitting. If it's a known car, you can eliminate the $5K, and instead spend whatever you want to personalize. I bought a 98 GTS 2-3 years ago for $35K. The 98 had a bad timing cover gasket, needed wheel bearings, the power steering lines leaked, and I think that was it. So, all in I was way under $45K. I added gears, long tubes, Corsa, supercharger, etc., but I didn't need to do that to make it right.

tophermecier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below $50K was tough but not impossible when I was looking a year ago. The mileage will be higher and the condition may be a bit less than to be desired, but patience is key. The deals are out there. A truly clean and well cared for example is simply on the rise in price and I cannot imagine it will get any better with time.

Good luck on your search. I found mine on AutoTrader, surprisingly. Hemmings is a good one and as usual, the forums can be king!

GRN_MTN_VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '01 GTS up north from you this past September, dealer was in Wisconsin so lucky me. $45k is doable but like everybody else is saying, there'll be conditions. Mine was listed for $42k with 42k miles and got a reduced price due to coming weather and the guy wanting to sell the car. Mine does have conditions but nothing major that I've found so far but I'm still going through it and I'm the 10th owner!!!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices are certainly going up so don’t wait too long
I bought my 00 Gts , black with silver strips brand new and I just can see parting myself with it
You must be registered for see images attach

Steve T22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello folks. I've been lurking on and off around this forum in search of information about locating a 1996 to 2002 GTS for purchase. I've looked over various online auto trading services and had some nice ones slip away because I wasn't ready, quite yet, for the purchase. A stock Viper is preferable. If possible, I do not want to exceed a budget of $45k. Is my budget too low or should I just be patient and keep looking? I am located in Chicago (currently buried by snow) and will be ready for a purchase once warmer weather comes around. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
I'm in Chicago. Thinking about selling my 2000 GTS. Black on black with charcoal matte stripes. Only 26k miles, clean carfax. New R888 tires, New clutch and racing gear upgrade. Serviced regularly by ex-president of Viper of America Club. May consider $60K. Let me know if your budget is flexible and I'll send pics. This car is turn key and ready for summer.

OP
OP
R

Rafi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the input fellas! I'm not in a big hurry but as far as the purchase I have to limit myself to 45k. The maintenance costs I did take into account separately, tires and fluids and what have you. I can do everything on it myself except for an engine rebuild.

OP
OP
R

Rafi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rafi - I don't think that's too low. You can certainly exceed that if you don't purchase the right car, though. If the car has been sitting for a long time, it will likely need a lot of maintenance - wheel bearings, brake/clutch fluid, etc. Tires are probably hard and unsafe. You can easily put $5K of repairs into a car that has been sitting. If it's a known car, you can eliminate the $5K, and instead spend whatever you want to personalize. I bought a 98 GTS 2-3 years ago for $35K. The 98 had a bad timing cover gasket, needed wheel bearings, the power steering lines leaked, and I think that was it. So, all in I was way under $45K. I added gears, long tubes, Corsa, supercharger, etc., but I didn't need to do that to make it right.

Sounds like a sweet ride. Thanks for your input

OP
OP
R

Rafi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices are certainly going up so don’t wait too long
I bought my 00 Gts , black with silver strips brand new and I just can see parting myself with it
You must be registered for see images attach
That's a real beauty

OP
OP
R

Rafi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '01 GTS up north from you this past September, dealer was in Wisconsin so lucky me. $45k is doable but like everybody else is saying, there'll be conditions. Mine was listed for $42k with 42k miles and got a reduced price due to coming weather and the guy wanting to sell the car. Mine does have conditions but nothing major that I've found so far but I'm still going through it and I'm the 10th owner!!!
Did you get the gorgeous black gts? If so, you lucky son of a gun!

Mark Crosby

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Found a sweet one out here in Cali for 30 with a clean title, message me and I can give you more details

Konrad

VCA Member
Reaction score
There is a 2000 gray in the marketplace Opelika, AL that will be close, almost bought it but found another one - comes with two set of wheels. If you sell one set you might be able to get at or under $45K. Looks really nice, tasteful updates and super nice owner.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$45k is plenty for a well kept low mileage gts, dont listen to those saying expect higher mileage or lots of maintenance.