seat belt question

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i just drove the car for the first time and i tried at least a little bit to feel the acceleration.

I would like to know if this is normal but everytime i punch the gas pedal, the seat belt would get stuck and won't release until i push back in the seat to unlock it.

Is this normal? This is really annoying.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
inertial lock, on the reeling mechanism. should lock on sudden decel only, if you pull it out too far when you put it on to start it will engage the lock that is used to secure kids car seat. try pulling it out only as far as needed for you to connect it.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact opposite problem...I cannot get mine to lock at all. If I yank on the seat belt it will not lock. In other words if I quickly decelerated by hitting something or braking hard, then the seat belt will not lock. Any suggestions?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact opposite problem...I cannot get mine to lock at all. If I yank on the seat belt it will not lock. In other words if I quickly decelerated by hitting something or braking hard, then the seat belt will not lock. Any suggestions?

Replace them. Tator's, Parts Rack, Viper Parts Larry, Paul Scharf, X2Builders. Your vendor list is eeeeeeasy.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recommendations? Why are they not working properly? Neither side works correctly. Thanks for your advice and help.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recommendations? Why are they not working properly? Neither side works correctly. Thanks for your advice and help.

I just went out to the garage and yanked on both of mine on the '01 GTS. They would not lock up. However, they may be designed to work simply on the inertia factor, not on a belt extension rate of change. Yanking on them in the garage is simple testing the rate of change, and not the inertia that is generated when stopping etc.

I do know under heavy braking I've never noticed myself coming out of the seat. Too busy braking to tell you whether it's the belts working or not, but as long as I have the airbag (some remove it for an aftermarket steering wheel) then I'm warm and fuzzy.