Sell RT10 now in preparation for SRT?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSchillinger:
SRT on order. Can't afford both cars. Will I be better off, dollars wise, selling the RT now rather than waiting until the SRT is ready next year? Or should I wait until it shows up, and just keep whichever one I like better? Whaddya think?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, say it aint so!
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'd sell as quickly as possible if I were you. When are you expecting your SRT?

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem that you have but I'm going to keep my until the new one comes out .Then my bank said that they would lend me the money on a 90 day loan to give me time to sell my car if I needed to.Because I would hate to sell my 99RT and then when I see the car I wouldn't like it and then my RT would already be gone.Then the bank would redo the loan to justify my new loan if I had a down payment to put on the new car.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my '97 in August of 2000. It wasn't too hard for me to be w/o my Viper while the weather was bad and I was in Europe, as I couldn't drive it anyways. Once I got home and the weather got nice, I lasted about 2 weeks, and I couldn't go without a Viper. I bought my Silver GTS and made sure I had it in my garage within 2 days of agreeing to buy!
If you are like myself and most other VCA members, I think you would be really missing your Snake all summer!
I can understand you not wanting to lose out on $$, but no one is sure how much of a hit the current Vipers will take. But let's not forget that the '03 SRTs are already spoken for.
Tough decision! Best of luck!

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget guys...if you do sell your current ride, put it through your dealers books to save the sales tax credit. Also, if you can wait 'til the first of the year to have your dealer bill out your car, you can escape the last of the luxury tax as it expires at the end of 2002. In simplistic terms, the luxury tax is 3% over $40,000. Thank goodness this ill-conceived and onerous tax is finally gone. Until the Fed's come up with another scheme to vacuum "your" money out of your wallet that is!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bryan,

There are a few things you can be sure of:

1) Any appreciation that the GenII Viper sees due to dislike of the GenIII will almost certainly not have a positive effect on GenII prices anytime in the timeframe that your SRT arrives. In other words, your RT will almost certainly be worth less in 6-9 months than it is now

2) You get more for a sports car in the spring - NOW is the time to sell if you want to move it

3) Bear in mind that I think the absolute earliest you could get an SRT is maybe October but maybe not even until May of 03, so if you sell you may be without a Viper for even up to 10 months.

It would be hard to predict the price difference between selling now and selling later. I would guesstimate that from selling now to selling when you know your SRT is almost here - you're looking at more than a $5,000 difference (more miles, slightly older car, SRT's are the "new car") but less than $10,000. Is it worth $5k to $10k to you so you can drive a Viper until your SRT arrives? Only you can answer that one!
smile.gif