Shifter Knob and Short Throw Shifter...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any websites that make custom shifters for the GEN II Viper?

I already know about MGW and Snake-Oyl's websites, but was wondering if there are any others out there somewhere selling custom shifters? Ideally I'm looking for a black leathered shifter with maybe some blue accents on it with the gears numbered or even the Sneaky Pete emblem. My current stock one is nice, but rather large for a short throw shifter and the numbers for gearing are pretty much faded out. I really want it to blend in with my interior as well. I've included a couple photos as attachments.

I might end up going with the Snake Gripper Shift Knob or First Strike
Racing Knob
, but like I said I'm curious to see if there are any other options available?

I also am considering a Short Throw Shifter. What do most of you have? I've heard a lot of good things about Hurst...

Thanks,
Anthony

Attachments

• interior1.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 222
  • interior3.jpg
    interior3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 239

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the B&M installed, got it from ebay...

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an SVS and will use my existing shaft with mgw shift knob, but they don't have this one listed anymore. I hate the stock shifter, so sloppy feeling. Don't forget motor/trans mount can help improve shifts as well.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear the B&M shifter is pretty good. I know Guest also makes one, but know nothing about it. Ask Chuck, was just speaking with him about it when I picked up my car.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&M Ripper, I would have gotten that one if I didn't find a deal on a used SVS.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never heard of SVS before... do they all cost around the same amount?

Last edited:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can go with MGW but it will require some custom work....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never heard of SVS before... do they all cost around the same amount?

SVS went out of business. I have the SVS short-throw shifter and love it. I have the MGW gripper and will be installing it soon. I also have the 1" and 2" lowering kits (shafts) from DBB. Not sure which one I'm going to use with the gripper yet but I do love the feel of the gripper.

Also, MGW once posted here that they were producing a special shifter knob which (I think) they sold/unveiled at VOI last year. They looked pretty cool and you could probably get one that matches your GTS: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...voi-11-product-debuts-those-didnt-attend.html

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be careful with those, I had a (I guess aluminum) shift knob in my 99 TransAm and that thing would be burning hot in the summer or freezing cold in the winter. Also if your palms get sweaty you will end up punching the dash in a 2-3 shift. I got rid of it for a nice leather knob and made a huge difference.

Also once I snapped my shifter shaft in half and it was tough shifting my car (wrapped it in hockey tape) until I got a new shaft in. Longer shafts are so much easier to handle.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS went out of business. I have the SVS short-throw shifter and love it. I have the MGW gripper and will be installing it soon. I also have the 1" and 2" lowering kits (shafts) from DBB. Not sure which one I'm going to use with the gripper yet but I do love the feel of the gripper.

Also, MGW once posted here that they were producing a special shifter knob which (I think) they sold/unveiled at VOI last year. They looked pretty cool and you could probably get one that matches your GTS: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...voi-11-product-debuts-those-didnt-attend.html

Thanks Tony, I do like the blue/white one.. I'm curious to see the shaft it comes with...the MGW Gripper that you bought is pretty short, I wonder if it would be the same size?

I would be careful with those, I had a (I guess aluminum) shift knob in my 99 TransAm and that thing would be burning hot in the summer or freezing cold in the winter. Also if your palms get sweaty you will end up punching the dash in a 2-3 shift. I got rid of it for a nice leather knob and made a huge difference.

Also once I snapped my shifter shaft in half and it was tough shifting my car (wrapped it in hockey tape) until I got a new shaft in. Longer shafts are so much easier to handle.

This could be true too, I really wanted an all leather one, since the hand brake is wrapped in leather I kinda wanted both to match like my current setup, just a newer shifter since my stock one is a little worn out.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, I do like the blue/white one.. I'm curious to see the shaft it comes with...the MGW Gripper that you bought is pretty short, I wonder if it would be the same size?

I'll take some pics of the gripper with the SVS shifter, stock shaft and 1" and 2" drops for you this weekend. I'll try to take some measurements as well.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of the gripper with the SVS shifter, stock shaft and 1" and 2" drops for you this weekend. I'll try to take some measurements as well.

Awesome.. thanks man! I'm still undecided on which one I'd get from MGW if I go that route. Fortunately for me, two of my friends who live local to me each have one of these shifters...One has the Snake Gripper Shift Knob and the other one has the First Strike Racing Knob. I've sat in both of their cars and played around with each one. Unfortunately at that time I could not decide on which I liked better lol so I guess now's the time to really figure it out since buying a shorter shifter appears to be a must! Considering if I do a short throw shifter, which would just make the car way more fun to drive, along with new gears and a lightweight flywheel.. :D

By the way, it seems like everyone is recommending you get a Quaife Rear Differential: http://partsrack.blastmart.com/custo...cat=171&page=1 when you do new gears.. is this true? Since there is no price on JonB's site.. how much do they go for?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the first strike knob and the B&M shifter LOVE the combo so much I bought it for my Gen 3 as well

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters....

MGW shifters are made bolt-in for Gen 3-4 only....the ash-tray box on G1-2 intereferes unless you remove / bend / flatten that ash-tray housing !

The MGW First-Strike composite 'race' knob is smaller; The Gripper is round, grippy snake-skin rubber sides, 2 1/8 " diameter. New colors and designs launced at VOI MGW LTD., INC. - CNC Machined and Turned Parts. Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, and Viper

The 'billy club' OE knobs of 92-98 unscrew from their shafts.... the 99-10 taller knob and aluminum shaft are one unit. Many owners are happy with the knob-only solution.

We have had good results with B+M and MGW shifters, and SVS was probabnly the best G1-2, but now gone.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon....what about Hurst? Is that any good?

The Year Matters....

MGW shifters are made bolt-in for Gen 3-4 only....the ash-tray box on G1-2 intereferes unless you remove / bend / flatten that ash-tray housing !

The MGW First-Strike composite 'race' knob is smaller; The Gripper is round, grippy snake-skin rubber sides, 2 1/8 " diameter. New colors and designs launced at VOI MGW LTD., INC. - CNC Machined and Turned Parts. Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, and Viper

The 'billy club' OE knobs of 92-98 unscrew from their shafts.... the 99-10 taller knob and aluminum shaft are one unit. Many owners are happy with the knob-only solution.

We have had good results with B+M and MGW shifters, and SVS was probabnly the best G1-2, but now gone.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, do you sell B+M and how much? I don't remember seeing it on your site..

Also, is it possible to still get SVS from anywhere if it's that good?

The Year Matters....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We purchased all the remaining SVS shifters from Ron Jr on 2/16/08.

We just sold the last one a month ago to a guy in MI.....

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the first strike knob and the B&M shifter LOVE the combo so much I bought it for my Gen 3 as well

^^^This. Great combo.

stereo_012.JPG

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can find a shift knob from a '96 or '97 RT/10....same style as yours, but the blue roadsters from '97 and the white ones from '96 had an ALL BLUE shift knob. I think there are some shortened shafts available and I remember reading that they worked well. Can't remember for the life of me which website I was on.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, not to sound dorky, but what is the advantage of changing to a short shifter over stock...is it:

shorter throw between gears?
more positive feel?
hit gears better?

I remember in the old days, everyone was shifting out of the old vette shifter...too long. But, I had some friends who actually went back, saying it felt better with the stock unit.

I do not particularly like the feel of the stock shifter, especially 4th-3rd.

Also, any benefit to only changing the shifter knob...I know they are mentioned above...but how is it better, or is it just different?

Hey, just askin'???

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can find a shift knob from a '96 or '97 RT/10....same style as yours, but the blue roadsters from '97 and the white ones from '96 had an ALL BLUE shift knob. I think there are some shortened shafts available and I remember reading that they worked well. Can't remember for the life of me which website I was on.

Hmm.. that's interesting, I never knew that. I'm leaning towards the MGW though, especially if I go with a B&M Short Throw..

Ideally I'd like to get this Blue and White one below.... Thanks Tony for the link!:2tu:
attachment.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen