Shifter Knob and Short Throw Shifter...

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Venzano before buying anything, who knows, he might be in the mood to do a prototype to match your interior.;)

Yup, that is the plan! I will let you know how it goes if you're interested in doing the same. I will of course post pictures on here too if this ends up being done through him.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a gen 4 tranny swap is done on a gen 2 than is there a way to fit the mgw without fitting issues? If not I'll have to get something custom going to get it to work...I love the MGW shifter...and I'll have a brand new B&M in classifieds soon since my tranny went out...

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the MGW shifter...and I'll have a brand new B&M in classifieds soon since my tranny went out...

Which MGW shifter?

I wish MGW offered to color code the logo on the GEN II shifters like they do on the SRT versions.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, just looked at the MGW SRT knob and looks great with the red logo! But, looks like if I change only the knob and keep my stock shifter, I'll go with the MGW...don't see anything else.:(

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which MGW shifter?

I wish MGW offered to color code the logo on the GEN II shifters like they do on the SRT versions.

Get an SRT one, you don't have to get the Gen2 one from them. I notice all the other cars have exact same shift knobs also. I think I may pick up a 99+ Gen 2 shift knob.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does an SRT knob fit onto a Gen II shifter?

Never mind...just on MGW site and they don't offer a shift pattern at top of knob.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you can put the MGW shifter for the Gen 3/4 into a Gen2 (with some modification) so I don't see why a shifter knob wouldn't go with it.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^This. Great combo.

stereo_012.JPG

Got the same thing! B&M shifter feels great. A lot of passengers remark that the knob is huge, but it works better for me than another countersunk one I had on it.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, may be a silly question, but in what ways does it compare to the stock Gen II shift knob. I know the stock one is big, but in terms of actual shifting accuracy and comfort, is it worth switching to the MGW knob?

That said, is it difficult to put the MGW on...stock shifter?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but in terms of actual shifting accuracy and comfort, is it worth switching to the MGW knob?

Its All Personal preference. And Which MGW knob are you talkng about anyway? The Firststrike or the Gripper? One is a hard plastic that i dont think is comfortable at all and the other prob has a similar feel to the 99-up stock knob(but i have not personally tried it)

Give it a rest and go meet up with some vipers and try the various knobs for yourself:2tu: (talking about it on the internet will substitute;))

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, may be a silly question, but in what ways does it compare to the stock Gen II shift knob. I know the stock one is big, but in terms of actual shifting accuracy and comfort, is it worth switching to the MGW knob?

That said, is it difficult to put the MGW on...stock shifter?

Knobs are easy to change out. Did it once while driving on the highway.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an SRT one, you don't have to get the Gen2 one from them. I notice all the other cars have exact same shift knobs also. I think I may pick up a 99+ Gen 2 shift knob.

The MGW SRT knob have the Fang's logo engraved on top, I think that would look stupid if you have a GEN II car.. at least, that would bother me! I would def consider a 99+ GEN 2 stock shift knob, but my only concern is the leather boot on my stock shifter now(there's a good amount of it since my stock knob is bigger). I'm not sure how that would wrap around the thin shaft on one of the 99+ stocker knobs. As in would you see most of the steel shaft or would it be mostly covered by the leather boot which is all around my current knob? Figured, I'd ask since I'm not sure if it would matter or not or how it would look.. :dunno:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was referring to the First Strike shift knob....but, good suggestion, will try out when I'm around some of the other Vipers.

Is that the knob you say is hard plastic and uncomfortable?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm.. that's interesting, I never knew that. I'm leaning towards the MGW though, especially if I go with a B&M Short Throw..

Ideally I'd like to get this Blue and White one below.... Thanks Tony for the link!:2tu:
attachment.php
I ve just ordered one of these shift knobs to go on the Hurst Shifter I have :)
I ordered one Red with Silver stripes :) ........But, word of warning MGW shifter knobs have a different thread to the Hurst :( The Hurst shifter uses 1/2 x 20 thread, the MGW Shifter uses 12 x 175mm. MGW said they could mount the knob on a adapter shaft for me but it would increase length :( I have ordered the shift knob anyways and will work something out when it gets to the UK. I could not find the coloured shifters on the MGW website but dropped them an email :)

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny i had the b&m ripper in my z06 and hated it, was very notchy and the throws werent that short. I also have the b&m in my viper with the mgw gripper knob and love it. The throws in the viper are very short and no where near as notchy as my vette was

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LOVE my Hurst on my Vette for the track, but it's a workout.

On the Viper I've just picked up a First Strike knob, making it a bit shorter and I like it with the stock shifter. I won't be changing it further.

virginiavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure if it would work, but I always loved my 03-04 cobra shift knob. I had the weaved leather anniversary one, awesome shifter knob I thought. has the MGW gripper on it now. nice shift knob.

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/images/10thknob.jpg

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com/images/part/full/M7213C.jpg

same kind of leather for the Ebrake and shifter boots on that car. think it would be a nice addition to the viper....e brake handle had it too.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/f...sary-mustang-cobra-shift-boot-for-03-04-cobra

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny i had the b&m ripper in my z06 and hated it, was very notchy and the throws werent that short. I also have the b&m in my viper with the mgw gripper knob and love it. The throws in the viper are very short and no where near as notchy as my vette was

I am also considering the B&M to go along with the MGW Gripper knob I just bought last week. I first called up MGW to ask if they would custom paint it in a blue background behind the billet "3D" embossed Sneaky Pete Viper head emblem; instead of the grey that's in the picture for the item. The MGW Fangs Gripper for the GEN III and IV already had the option for other colors, so I thought I'd ask them anyway if they could do the same for the GEN II Gripper Shift knob. As a result fortunately it appears they do. They just said the blue is not listed as an option on the site; and to just list the color in the comments upon checking out the item when you buy it on their site.

I also bought the billet cigarette lighter which they said like the Gripper Shifter also comes in blue, just need to list the color choice in comments at checkout.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the MGW Gripper and Cigarette Lighter in blue! :)
You must be registered for see images attach

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the B&M shifter to go along with my MGW gripper knob also. The rubber isolator on my stock shifter is coming apart.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teheran is the MGW Gripper and Cigarette Lighter in blue! :)

Those are sweeeeet!

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, so much for the B&M shifter. It's discontinued!! I had to order a Hurst and will re-machine the end to accept the MGW shift knob. It's always something, seems like.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Leslie! :)

Well, this is news to me.. I'm going to have to try and see if I can still get one from a vendor.

Check with Tator. I seem to recall that he had a couple of B&M shifters a while back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude