Shifting issue

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,

After searching the forums to find an answer to my silly question, I finally decided to post. I have noticed a shifting issue on my 96 RT/10. When going at very low speeds, she often hesitates to go from first into neutral. I can't really go into neutral unless I try a couple
of times - I get the dreaded resistance / grinding sound as well.

I have made sure that my foot is all the way down on the clutch so I am a bit confused. I have not had problems with any other gear combination. The only alternative I have for now is to have my foot
on the clutch constantly to avoid going from 1st to Neutral. I know that this is a very bad thing to do and can wear out the clutch.

I know this is probably a dumb newbie question that has been asked many times, but I will really appreciate some advice. What am I doing wrong here?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't really go into neutral unless I try a couple
of times - I get the dreaded resistance / grinding sound as well.

The only alternative I have for now is to have my foot
on the clutch constantly to avoid going from 1st to Neutral.

Your having trouble going from first gear to neutral ?? And it is grinding when going back to neutral ? But, with your foot on the clutch......you avoid going to neutral. I'm confused, sorry. Explain it again please.

OP
OP
G

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, when I am in stop and go driving, and I need to shift from neutral to first and then again to neutral to stop the car, *sometimes* the car prevents me from going back into neutral (eventhough I have the clutch fully pressed) and makes a grinding noise. This also happens in warm temperatures when the car is fully warmed up.

To avoid running into this problem, I try to keep the car in first gear as much as possible during stop and go driving. But again I cannot stick with this approach since it is bad for the clutch and the car in general.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like the clutch may be going bad and prematurely releasing(bleed down maybe)? Just throwing out ideas. Did you check your clutch fluid yet?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going into neutral it's hard to see why it would grind some gears. City traffic keeps you in the skip-shift mode, so the neutral position feel changes. 1-neutral-2 has neutral on the left, 1-neutral-4 has it in the middle. If you lose track of where you are, then maybe (with the OEM vague shifter) you are pushing or pulling in a slightly miscorrect direction.

If any of that explanation comes close to your situation, maybe you want to pull off the skip shift solenoid and see if that makes any difference at all.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen similar issues twice before. Once was due to a warped clutch disk, and the second was due to broken springs on the BB retainer for the synchromesh locking sleeve. Apparently, they would jam the blocker ring onto the cone on the side of the drive gear, and the "vibration" you would feel is the same type of thing that happens when going INTO gear, just happens going out instead. (because the blocker doesnt want to disengauge the gear.) NOT GOOD either way. If it is either of the above, get it taken care of ASAP so it doesnt get more costly as time goes on... Eventually, it can take the flywheel & pressure plate OR the whole synchomesh assembly with it. (problem depending...)

PS- just remembered one other incident... a shift fork that was coming loose from its shaft also had a similar outcome.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably would be no change but I would disconnect the skip shift solinoid and see if it changes. The connector is on the trans drivers side top, about 4" ahead of the shifter. What year is your car ? Earlier than 96 (maybe 97 ?? or later) it will not set a code. The skip shift dash light arrow will light as normal but it won't skip shift. Cheap to try, but you will have to get under the car.

OP
OP
G

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will try disconnecting the skip shift solinoid today to see if that makes a difference (mine is a 1996). I am going to be taking her to my viper tech this week for a steering pump issue and will run this past him as well.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are having clutch drag problems.

The clutch is not disengaging all the way.

This could be because of the clutch hydraulics.
or
A worn out clutch that has been adjusted as far out as possible.
or
Worn clutch pedal bushing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas