Short (altitudinally challenged?) Drivers Rejoice!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YEsterday, AB and a couple others chimed in looking for even more pedal travel, etc, for short-stature drivers.

I am happy to report the availability of a new seat-track kit that works on 92-02 Vipers, maintains same stock seat height, and allows a full 2" more forward travel than stock. 2" is a LOT when moving closer to the steering wheel! $279

PS, those of you who drive with seats 2" or more FORWARD of the rear bulkhead, and also use 5-pt or 6-pt harnesses, should be aware of the inherently UNSAFE situation you are in during an accident on-track.

The "slack" created behind a forward-adjusted seat may allow it to BREAK BACKWARDS in a severe accident. This in effect renders the harnesses so loose as to become ineffective during any secondary impact(s).

At a recent Viper Days event, shorter drivers in OE seats were strongly encouraged to add a simple "Seatback Brace" device between the seatback and the rear bulkhead when on-track. These can be simply constructed, and even velcro attached thru the seatback headrest holes.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I don't need such a device, I think the others were asking for a way in which to move the pedals closer so that they were not so close to the steering wheel.

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the closer you move the seat to the steering wheel the mirrors (for me) will not adjust in far enough. So I would like to have the seat farther back and the pedals closer. (I think I will just wear platform shoes)
laugh.gif

Barbara

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DRYVEM on 11-02-2001 at 06:47 PM</font>

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,
I am only 5-10" (have 5pts) and my seat is one notch away from the bulkhead. I would love to be able to back it up to the bulkhead so I tried the the Sean roe clutch mod kit it helps a little but not enough.
Still can't get that seat back to the bulkhead and depress the clutch enough. Don't get me wrong the clutch mod kit helped so now after I am rolling I can push it down about 1/2 way and shift.
but to start the car you still have to push it to the floor.

What we need I think is a clutch kit that raised the petal closer to the driver about 2" or a clutch petal cover that is 2"
to correct the problem.
And I agree I am trying to get away from the airbag not closer.
May be Sean Roe or George from MGW can hook up in this area??

Jim
patriotx.gif

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Thicker" pedal blocks atop forward-adjusted pedals can be VERY awkward to operate quickly. In fact, some States require a "HANDICAPPED" sticker to so modify the pedals.

With the pedals full UP and the seat full FORWARD....
This kit simply allows you to go 2" more FORWARD with the seat.

Closer to Airbag? Yup. Can I picture it? Not really, since I cannot judge how mutch this would help a short driver. It appears to be no help? I'd like to go BACK 2" !!

Did anyone ask ZAF if they will do the pedal blocks?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So Jon, What you are saying is that the seat can be moved closer to the steering wheel? That if so, that is what I'm trying to avoid. Maybe I miss understood you.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WARNING !!
1996-2002 VIPERS W/AIR BAGS:
DEATH OR SERIOUS INLURY CAN OCCUR !
death2.gif

IF SITTING TO CLOSE TO THE AIR BAG!
redface.gif

YOU NEED A MINIMUM OF 10 INCHES FROM YOUR CHEST TO THE AIR BAG!
D.O.T.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since you don't have to push the clutch all the way down to shift, I'm assuming you guys (I'm no giant either) are finding it difficult to push the clutch all the way in to enable the starter. I too found it to be a pain having to push the pedal to the floor to start the engine (not to mention I don't like putting the force against the thrust bearing of the crankshaft with no oil pressure), so I disabled it. Now, I don't have to push the clutch in to start, but do have to make sure I'm in nuetral. You could probably modify the switch so it didn't take as much travel to close the circuit, but I have not looked into it.