Short Throw Shifter

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does a short throw shifter really make that much of a differance?? After reading the other short throw thread it got me thinking. Is it more feel or is it a performance thing? Does everyone like it, or have some of you installed it and decided to remove it? If so why?:confused:

Thanks!

Robert

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my B&M short shifter. It's not just for feel. Wayyy better than stock!! It removes any slop and gives a more confident,positive shift.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, do the after market shifters have the same neutral position - what i mean is in neutral straight up is 3rd and straight down is 4th with the stock shifter (push left then up for 1st, etc.)

thanks in advance for your experiences

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, do the after market shifters have the same neutral position - what i mean is in neutral straight up is 3rd and straight down is 4th with the stock shifter (push left then up for 1st, etc.)
thanks in advance for your experiences

The short-throw doesn't change any gear positions...you still shift the same, it's just a shorter throw. :drive:
Robert: We installed the MGW First Strike short-throw in our '05, loved it, put it in our new '08. We'd NEVER go back to stock. Yes, the shorter-throw, hence FASTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!~! :2tu: ~juli

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how everyone confuses a "shifter" with the "shift knob".......:buttkick:

MGW makes a "SHORT SHIFT KNOB"!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the neutral position remains the same. The B&M is the way to go. The old shifter gets tossed and your replacement is a short shifter and not just a shorter knob :omg: This makes the throw shorter as mentioned previously. Install from below or from the top. Dave has a detailed post on how he did it from to the top. I'm a bottom kinda guy ;)

:usa:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the neutral position remains the same. The B&M is the way to go. The old shifter gets tossed and your replacement is a short shifter and not just a shorter knob :omg: This makes the throw shorter as mentioned previously. Install from below or from the top. Dave has a detailed post on how he did it from to the top. I'm a bottom kinda guy ;)

Guess you must be, Rob, as you mentioned B&M and BOTTOM in the same paragraph! :omg: ;) :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: ~juli

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
juli, RobZilla, thanks for the replies, i already have burned in muscle memory for stock shifter behavior from neutral, glad to know only shifter performance changes

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like my combo of a MGW first strike (knob) and SVS short-throw shifter. Both are large improvements over stock.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Me so confused!:confused:

I know what a short thow shifter is, but what is a (I hate to ask this question as I know certain people will have a hay day with it ;)but) what is a short knob??

As for the shifter then, it is about comfort and shift speed. I have to say, I never really had any complaints about the stock one!:rolleyes:

Robert

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Me so confused!:confused:

I know what a short thow shifter is, but what is a (I hate to ask this question as I know certain people will have a hay day with it ;)but) what is a short knob??

As for the shifter then, it is about comfort and shift speed. I have to say, I never really had any complaints about the stock one!:rolleyes:

Robert

i kinda like the stock setup too, :drive: though never experienced how much better an after market setup is

look here for helpful pics

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...shifter-rods-new-custom-fit-92-08-vipers.html

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do the shifter replace the knob too. You'll be happy with the results. Ummm....There's another thread here about how to handle your knob issues... :omg:

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda like the stock setup too, :drive: though never experienced how much better an after market setup is

That may be my issue. Maybe I ned to sit in a chopped shifter car and get the feel!:hmmm:

Yes, I did see the other thread regarding knobs!:D That was thread that got me thinking WHY change the knob.

Robert

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may be my issue. Maybe I ned to sit in a chopped shifter car and get the feel!:hmmm:
Yes, I did see the other thread regarding knobs!:D That was thread that got me thinking WHY change the knob.
Robert

This is getting confusing and shouldn't be~!! The MGW First Strike is a SHORTER STICK and a grippy knob...easy to grasp under the BACK of it. = shorter throw = better shifting overall~! (Stock setup is TOO TALL IMO) ~jules

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a short throw shifter, just the MGW knob. Makes a huge difference in er knob control and gear selection - essential 'upgrade'. Don't know how previous owner was content with wrong 3rd/5th selections
You must be registered for see images

ps yes it's a Fangs version. Slowly getting rid of the Sneaky Petes... steering wheel could be a problem!

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zed - If that is the stock shift rod, then that rod must thread right up to the top of the knob as it looks really short compared to the stock one!!:omg:

Juli - So what you are saying is you are no longer rest your hand on the top, you grab it with a death grip. Did I get that right??

:eater:

Robert

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zed - If that is the stock shift rod, then that rod must thread right up to the top of the knob as it looks really short compared to the stock one!!:omg:
Juli - So what you are saying is you are no longer rest your hand on the top, you grab it with a death grip. Did I get that right??
:eater:
Robert

Well, not a 'death' grip...just a NICE grip, feels just UNDER the hand/fingers...? Does that explain it a bit better? It has an indentation under the BACK of the knob, where you put your hand/fingers into...grip better, shift better! Gosh, explaining it seems so complicated...just COME DOWN here and SEE THE DARNED THING!!!! lol....juli
The BALL is just that, a BALL, you grip the whole thing and shift, getting this??? :cool:

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I am getting the idea. Finally! :smirk: All I need to decide now is if I like the feel of a shorter shifter!:rolleyes: That I will have to feel out at one of the next meets.

Boy, this is starting to sound like the "sticky ball" thread all over again!!:rolleyes:

Robert

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I am getting the idea. Finally! :smirk: All I need to decide now is if I like the feel of a shorter shifter!:rolleyes: That I will have to feel out at one of the next meets.
Boy, this is starting to sound like the "sticky ball" thread all over again!!:rolleyes:
Robert

That was the 'sticky KNOB' thread...are we resurrecting it??? :eater: ~juli
**YESSSSSS...you really NEED to feel what it feels like...the short-throw shifter, not the sticky knob....ewwww....:crazy2:*** :lmao:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a "FirstStrike" shift knob and dislike the feel of it. I realy want to try the "Gripper" knob. Anyone have one that would like to trade???

VIPER Gen 1 & 2

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Rob!! That clears up everything!!:2tu:

Paints a nice technical picture in my mind too. And a very different picture than the one that kept popping into my head while reading Juli's reply!!;):rolaugh:

Robert

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. The search function merely brings up prior discussions. I have searched it numerous times. I thought my simple explanation with the assistance of paint might do the trick.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was perfect Rob!:2tu:

And now there is a thread to be searched on this subject in the future!;)

Thanks all!!

Robert