Short Throw Shifter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Rob!! That clears up everything!!:2tu:
Paints a nice technical picture in my mind too. And a very different picture than the one that kept popping into my head while reading Juli's reply!!;):rolaugh:
Robert

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me~~~I have no idea what you're talking about....:dunno:.
I tried to explain the First Strike short-shifter knob, how it FEELS in the hand when shifting...'normally' people usually understand what I'm trying to explain...:smirk: :) .
BUT, glad Rob could help you~! :cool: Sorry I was not more clear for ya, DUDE! :drive:
:)cool:) ~juli

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shift lever, AKA shift knob, is not the shift mechanism. The shift mechanism is what is under the shift lever and attached to the tranny. This year, Woodhouse and MGW collaborated to produce a performance shift mechanism. It can be purchased from Woodhouse. I was a beta tester back in January. It works very well. It is tight and crisp. It eliminates the bad aspects of the stock shift mechanism. I have had four people with '08s sit in my Viper and shift it. They were all amazed at the difference.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shift lever, AKA shift knob, is not the shift mechanism. The shift mechanism is what is under the shift lever and attached to the tranny. This year, Woodhouse and MGW collaborated to produce a performance shift mechanism. It can be purchased from Woodhouse. I was a beta tester back in January. It works very well. It is tight and crisp. It eliminates the bad aspects of the stock shift mechanism. I have had four people with '08s sit in my Viper and shift it. They were all amazed at the difference.

Bob, as always, thank you for clarifying! I was hoping we'd all get the message across that the MGW short-throw shifter/knob is NOT the mechanism attached to the tranny. JUST a shorter-throw 'stick and knob', better feel overall for shifting.
That's very cool that you were the tester for this performance shift mechanism! I'd love to see and FEEL what that is like...tight and crisp sounds great! Yeah, NOT fond of the stock shift 'feel' (too long of a throw). Thank you, you are always helpful!
~juli

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me~~~I have no idea what you're talking about....:dunno:.
I tried to explain the First Strike short-shifter knob, how it FEELS in the hand when shifting...'normally' people usually understand what I'm trying to explain...:smirk: :) .
BUT, glad Rob could help you~! :cool: Sorry I was not more clear for ya, DUDE! :drive:
:)cool:) ~juli

No worries Juli!! I understood what you were saying regarding the "feel" of the knob! That was VERY helpful!!:hail: Now I know the knob feels like a Crock for the hand!:lmao: I was in NO WAY trying to put down your helpfulness!:sorry2:

I just was not getting a visual picture of the rod, knob, and linkage and how it was working mechanically. That was the pic that Rob posted.

What can I say!:dunno: I guess it is just the engineer in me!!:rolleyes:

Bob - Thanks for the correct wording too!!:2tu:

Robert

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries Juli!! I understood what you were saying regarding the "feel" of the knob! That was VERY helpful!!:hail: Now I know the knob feels like a Crock for the hand!:lmao: I was in NO WAY trying to put down your helpfulness!
I just was not getting a visual picture of the rod, knob, and linkage and how it was working mechanically. That was the pic that Rob posted.
What can I say!:dunno: I guess it is just the engineer in me!!:rolleyes:
Bob - Thanks for the correct wording too!!:2tu:
Robert

:cool: No worries, BOBBY...I hear ya on the 'visual' picture, especially for an engineer. I in now way felt put-down with your comments, you are always so very gracious! :headbang:
Hope everyone has helped you make a decision. :drive: ~juli

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool: No worries, BOBBY...I hear ya on the 'visual' picture, especially for an engineer. I in now way felt put-down with your comments, you are always so very gracious! :headbang:
Hope everyone has helped you make a decision. :drive: ~juli

sounds like a right brain / left brain issue to me :omg: :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having read many posts on this Forum since 2000, I can assure you that there are many posters who have extensive experience with the feel of a knob in their hand.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mark, hope you see Bob's post here, went to your website and could not find this shifter :drive:, would you post a link?

thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...I'm getting that there are short throw shifters and short knobs :omg: (did I type that outloud?) anyway...My understanding from this thread is that the short shifter has a shorter throw because the neck at the bottom is shorter, which makes the overall height of the shifter/knob lower (as compared to the stock shifter/knob)...correct? The next question is...How low can you go? Does your hand start getting down into the boot when you combine the short shifter and short knob? I know that you can adjust the height a little when installing the knob assembly by adjusting the stabilizing nut (I don't know the technical term for the nut) :eater:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave - I along with a couple of guys tried to put in a hurst shortie from the bottom and we were not able to get the tranny back in. We fiddled with it for the better part of an hour and a half and just knocked stuff around. It's really close, but it just doesn't fit. Maybe someone has a better experience but mine was not good.

LifeIsGood you are right on your understanding of the difference of the shifter and knob. As for how low you can go: that depends on what your comfortable with. You can screw the knob on the top of the shifter shaft down as far as it can go. That should get ya really close to being in the boot.

:usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna be the odd man out here.

There is no doubt the short throw greatly reduces the possibility of missed shifts but another way to reduce missed shifts is a cool head in the heat of battle. I know few people are gonna agree with me on this but with tech getting so perfected I like to reduce the tech/mechanical advantage as much as possible and put the advantages back in the hands of the driver.

I've missed my fair share of shifts and each one is frustrating. But to me being confident and deliberate with shifting is part of the game. I also like to feel the clunk going through the gears and the violent shake of the stick at idol. Watching that shift lever quiver uncontrollably is more gratifying than ****.

But hey, that's me.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also like to feel the clunk going through the gears and the violent shake of the stick at idol. Watching that shift lever quiver uncontrollably is more gratifying than ****.

But hey, that's me.

COOL!! I thought I was the only one that loved that!!:omg::rolaugh:

So, with a short throw, I wont have any quiver in the shift lever??:crying:

Robert

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robert

I don't know if the short "throw" will have any affect but obviously a shorter stick won't accentuate the shaking as much as a long stick would.

BTW is it “affect” or “effect”. I always get confused with that one.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Hurst and love it. I have the blue ball on my shifter, but you can get different colors.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way, I am following that a shorter lever will have less vibration.

Not necessarily less vibration, just that it would be less pronounced.

Think of a one-inch stick pivoting side to side five degrees. The travel at the top of the stick would only move .087 inches. Hardly noticeable.

Now think of a yardstick pivoting side to side five degrees. The travel at the top of th e yardstick would be 3.1 inches. Very noticeable.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if the short "throw" will have any affect but obviously a shorter stick won't accentuate the shaking as much as a long stick would.
BTW is it “affect” or “effect”. I always get confused with that one.

if the short "throw" will have any[quotechuck98] EFFECT...OR the short "throw" AFFECTED the style of my shifting. How's that? :dunno:
(Since you did ask :D...and your description of how LONG the SHAFT is and its vibration is perfect! ;))
~juli

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robert

I've got a heavily worn OEM transmission mount. If you replace your current mount with it, you'll still get plenty of vibration with a short throw shifter. :rolaugh:

If you do any road course events, you'll probably end up liking a short throw for faster & more confident shifts. I find this mostly true on downshift during braking. There may be some very, very small impact when upshifting. Otherwise, it's pretty much a bling thing.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worn trans mount!! Thats too funny!:lmao:

I am gonna have to give one of these a try at somepoint. I think that is the only way to do this to get a good feel!:D

I can always convert it back if I do not like it....:hmmm:

Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang