Side mirror puncture marks

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All those who have had their SRT-10 delivered would you please look to see if there are dent marks on the bottom outside corners of their side view mirrors(about 3/4 of the way to the outside of the bottom part of each mirror). It seems that others have this problem also. Called my dealer today and he looked at another Viper in his lot and found the same problem. It seems like a situation happening at the CAAP assembly lines. Maybe somebody at DC will read this and respond. The puncture marks look like they are being put there by a steel object as they are being installed. On one side the indentation was deep enough, and gouged to expose the black plastic.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked. I have a small, relatively smooth dent or depression on each mirror. No paint cracking or anything serious (i.e. no black visible - the car is red). You can only see them when specifically looking for them. They seem very similar (size, position, etc.) so expect that they are the result of a manufacturing process. You would have to look at the mirrors before assembly at CAAP to know if they are made at CAAP or by the mirror company.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I have them too. The one on the drivers side is very deep exposing the black plastic :( , but the passenger side is small and barely visible. I went over the whole car a few days ago when I Zanio'd it and did not see it. Thanks for the info and hopefully we can find out what the hell is causing this :confused: .

ROB :usa:

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger side mirror has about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch noticeable crack on the mirror support where it makes contact with the door. Looks like it was overly tightened. I notified my dealer.

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine has them as well. Definately not something anyone will see unless they are specifically looking for them.

OP
OP
K

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As is very evident there is a problem with the installation of these mirrors. DC hasn't responded too quickly with our concerns. Maybe my dealer(Buhler) can get to the bottom of this. I believe this is an overlook on the inspection line of the SRT/10.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them too. Drivers side is slightly indented. Passenger side has a small hole with some black plastic showing (red car). One must look very closely to see it however.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have it on both mirrors. Has anyone heard anything from DC yet about the problem?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's a very minor problem. It's on the bottom of the mirror and nobody but mice and midgets will see it. Hel, some day the car may be worth more --- like a defective coin.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Side mirror puncture marks

Sorry I am a little late with this, as I had to go to Vegas on business (and saw 14 Vipers for rent there - but no SRT's). Anyway, I was over at Frank's lovely home this past weekend to take some pictures of his gorgeous 2001 GTS he is selling. While there, I shot some pictures of his silver SRT-10. I got this picture of his mirror, with the "dent" clearly marked:

You must be registered for see images

Now, here is my opinion, having taken a better look at these (and they are on my car as well): They are NOT a dent. I think it is safe to say that these mirrors are molded plastic. Like most molds, the plastic is probably injected or poured into the mold. My guess is that you are looking at the "top" of the mold and that the "dent" is actually the fill point, albeit poorly finished off or not "topped off". You can see the "edge" along that same spot where the plastic appears to have been smoothed over. You can also see that the hole is actually painted all the way in, which it would not have been had it happened during the assembly process at CAAP. Assuming the SRT is built like the Gen II, the body parts arrive pre-painted before assembly. Thus, the mirror "defect" is more of an imperfection in the manufacturing process. Again, my humble opinion.

And I won't tell you what happened when Frank sat in my SRT with scissors in his back pocket... :eek: ;)

Chris

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ugh! Hope it did not damage the seat permanently.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since you mention the seat and scissor, I must say that a scissor certainly beats paper, or should I say leather. Nice scratch and HOLE in the suede.

After I recovered from my heart attack, with Chris and his lovely wife very calm, I promised to get it fixed. Now for you idiots what insist on carrying scissors in your rear pocket, expect to shell out a list of $1225 for JUST THE BOTTOM LEATHER AND FOAM, NOT INCLUDING THE SEAT STRUCTURE!

I was able to find a deal of a little over $900 from Woodhouse or Parts Rack. In addition, there is installation. About $170.

Chris, you will get a letter either today or tomorrow with a check for $1150 plus instruction on options. You can do with it what you want. Obviously, I don't have to tell you I'm sorry.

For the rest of you, be cautious of a possible upcoming e-bay SRT slightly used seat sale.

OP
OP
K

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That stinks about the scissors. Those kinds of things can just grate on your nerves and the hassles it creates. Only consolation is you are probably one of the very few who can afford a Viper and some of these expensive little mishaps.
Chris, thank you for the pic of the side mirror as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Your camera is excellent and your picture shot was perfect. Now for a gentleman's disagreement. Just a few points to consider.
1. Being somewhat familiar with injection molded plastic I would disagree with the conclusion that the filling point for that unit would be located at that spot. First injection molded plastic parts are made up of a two die piece or two halves. The filling point would always be at an inconspicuous place at the end of the unit and in this case probably on the inside nearest where it mounts to the door. The two parts of the die close and the plastic polymer is injected into the mold. Then the two halves separate which then allows the unit to be extracted. Again with all the plastic molded items we have made for our business the point of entry for the plastic as it is being injected is always in a place were it is totally unnoticeable.
2. I would also submit that the vendor for the side mirrors would never let an obvious flaw like this out of their shop.
3. Also I am sure that the Viper staff would not except an inferior workmanship like this as it is easily avoidable.
4. Again I would say that this is happening with a tool of some sort, vise or gripper which holds the mirror as it is being attached. Or that it might happen after the mirror is attached to the door. Then as the door is being held for installation unto the body one of the holding points which would be located near the area of the side mirror puncture mark is having too much pressure applied causing an indentation and sometimes a gouge into the plastic material.
5. However, what ever the reason is I believe they should address this issue as the car is basicly flawless and I think this problem is easily fixable.

Ken

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

I looked at my mirror- same thing. Umm... except they are a very superior RED color. ;) I could care less. If this is the biggest problem the SRT-10 has, it is a truly excellent automobile.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just couldn't help myself went and looked I have impressions(scratches, gauges?) on both of my mirrors, although, the paint looks to be intact. Inconspicous but not right none the less. What is going on here. CAAP must know about this already, or at least since this thread started. I do love this car! Superior the the gen II's I've owned! :usa:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You want to know what that is? You remember making plastic models growing up? You had to break off the parts first from a rack of parts. OK same thing! They get twenty five mirrors at a time [on a rack]. Then they glue them on! :shocked:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since you mention the seat and scissor, I must say that a scissor certainly beats paper, or should I say leather. Nice scratch and HOLE in the suede.

After I recovered from my heart attack, with Chris and his lovely wife very calm, I promised to get it fixed. Now for you idiots what insist on carrying scissors in your rear pocket, expect to shell out a list of $1225 for JUST THE BOTTOM LEATHER AND FOAM, NOT INCLUDING THE SEAT STRUCTURE!

I was able to find a deal of a little over $900 from Woodhouse or Parts Rack. In addition, there is installation. About $170.

Chris, you will get a letter either today or tomorrow with a check for $1150 plus instruction on options. You can do with it what you want. Obviously, I don't have to tell you I'm sorry.

For the rest of you, be cautious of a possible upcoming e-bay SRT slightly used seat sale.

Frank, Frank, Frank... You just wasted your postage, 'cause it is coming right back atcha! As you know, Mary and I were not the LEAST bit upset. Not even a little! We laughed about it on the way home as a matter of fact. While we are broke, we also know that a car is just a car. Yes, even a Viper. Mind you, seeing pavement go by through the hole in the seat is a little bit disconcerting, but the added breeze is nice. :D I fully expected you to have posted something about it in my absence, something to the effect that you are taking out your aggressions on another SRT... ;)

Seriously, it is no big deal at all. I hope we can get that gorgeous '01 GTS of yours sold quickly, then maybe you can worry about something else!

Chris

PS. Sorry for the "hijack", but I want Frank to stop pacing the floor on my account...

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank, Frank, Frank... You just wasted your postage,

Chris, just had an idea. Don't send the check back for a while. Just thought of something.

----- Now back to your regularily scheduled puncture marks ---