Side Sill Vents

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1992-2002 Viper GTS & RT10

Over the years we have battled side sill heat issues in the Dodge Viper. The exhaust system is encapsulated and creates a tremendous amount of heat. The effect is extreme cabin heat around your feet, side panels that are too hot too touch and discolored paint.

The biggest cause of this heat issue is the lack of airflow over the exhaust system. We have found our stainless steel side sill vents dramatically reduce heat issues on the Dodge Viper.

<u><font color="red">Benefits and Features of Side Sill Vents</font></u>

1. Reduced cabin heat
2. Reduced Side Sill heat
3. No more paint damage
4. Stainless construction
5. Includes all hardware and instructions
6. Great looking

<font color="red">DC Parts Club Price: $199.00</font>

You must be registered for see images

Dan Cragin-President
DC Performance/DC Parts
3370 S Livonia Ave, Los Angeles CA 90034
310-841-6996 Tel
310-841-6496 Fax/Orders

D

DAMN YANKEE

Gentlemen,

Two beautful units!

I have a question, please. If one runs these in the front and one drives their Viper in the rain, won't a great deal of water be thrown into the side sills? The side sills have trouble in their stock configuration moving out water, won't these just add to that problem? Also, what about dirt, sand, etc.

The concept is great and makes perfect sense, but aside from cutting the stock side sills themselves, I have always been concerned about all the crud and water being thrown into sills. Appreciate your response, please.

PS.... Speed your web link is broken....

speedtactics

VCA Member - South
VCA Member
Reaction score
Well yes stuff will get tossed into the side sills. However the back of the side sill is not closed so it can just drain right out the back side. there is no issue with the water getting in the car. The parts rack part has vents that aim down but they don offer much cooling that way. Sometime you can't have your cake and eat it to.
Just keep the Snake in the garage when it rains.
Scott

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992-2002 Viper GTS &amp; RT10

Over the years we have battled side sill heat issues in the Dodge Viper. The exhaust system is encapsulated and creates a tremendous amount of heat. The effect is extreme cabin heat around your feet, side panels that are too hot too touch and discolored paint.

The biggest cause of this heat issue is the lack of airflow over the exhaust system. We have found our stainless steel side sill vents dramatically reduce heat issues on the Dodge Viper.

<u><font color="red">Benefits and Features of Side Sill Vents</font></u>

1. Reduced cabin heat
2. Reduced Side Sill heat
3. No more paint damage
4. Stainless construction
5. Includes all hardware and instructions
6. Great looking

<font color="red">DC Parts Club Price: $199.00</font>

You must be registered for see images

Dan Cragin-President
DC Performance/DC Parts
3370 S Livonia Ave, Los Angeles CA 90034
310-841-6996 Tel
310-841-6496 Fax/Orders

A picture of one on a car would help me.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a set of the Autoform FRP sills coming for my GTS, as I'm converting to side exhaust. When I talked to Autoform about insulation options, one they gave was no insulation, and 3 " holes drilled in the bottom of the sills. This was more for race cars, but talk about a great way for drainage and debris removal.

Opinions on big ass holes on the bottom?

speedtactics

VCA Member - South
VCA Member
Reaction score
I guess it would work. However I have not seen anyone doing anything like that. Even on track cars? I don't think it's needed, And I wouldn't run without any insulation.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yes stuff will get tossed into the side sills. However the back of the side sill is not closed so it can just drain right out the back side. there is no issue with the water getting in the car. The parts rack part has vents that aim down but they don offer much cooling that way. Sometime you can't have your cake and eat it to.
Just keep the Snake in the garage when it rains.
Scott

I made my own version of the DC vents by drilling holes into the existing sill area where these vents would be installed. I then hacked up one of my screens and expoxied the screen mesh behind the drilled holes to prevent any crap from getting into the sills. Works great. Yes, water gets in the sills but guess what? It also drains out. I haven't had any issues with water splashing up against the cats. In fact, the water doesn't seem to get near the exhaust at all. My sills are much cooler.

But my 'upgrade' looks hideous and I'm purchasing these vents from DC Performance tomorrow. I will apply the screen material to the back of them as well. If rain is a problem don't drive the car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wouldn't rain if it hit the exhaust or cats immediately dissipate ?

i like the idea of a few smaller holes in the bottom of the sills though

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wouldn't rain if it hit the exhaust or cats immediately dissipate ?

i like the idea of a few smaller holes in the bottom of the sills though

Water would dissipate but I recall seeing an old thread where Tator (I think) warned about water hitting hot cats and ruining them. Corrosion may be an issue. My cats are 17" away from the vents. The turnout pipe is about 6" away. Unless I'm driving through a monsoon, I'd be hard-pressed to have water splash directly onto either the cat or the pipe. Additionally, the screen I installed acts as a wick, in a way, dispersing the water down and away from the exhaust components.

I don't have the Roe exhaust wrap installed so there's nothing in the way to block airflow or allow water to get trapped in the sills. I'm wondering if its really necessary to drill drainage holes under the sills especially for Dave who may hardly see rain in Texas. Perhaps an experiment is in order dave?

Last edited:

speedtactics

VCA Member - South
VCA Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Auto form sill vents are that the vents face down. so the air flow that is coming in is very restricted in addition they are very thin and flimsy.
The Black Aluminum vents are 3 mm thick and will be virtually indestructible.
Scott

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the Auto form sill vents are that the vents face down. so the air flow that is coming in is very restricted in addition they are very thin and flimsy.
The Black Aluminum vents are 3 mm thick and will be virtually indestructible.
Scott

I wasn't aware that Autoform made vents for the side sills. Do you have a link for that?

speedtactics

VCA Member - South
VCA Member
Reaction score
A very low tech and some what messy approach but I guess that would work for the guy who doesn't want to spend any money. It doesn't seem real ah... strong?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...to a point. Looks actually pretty tough in person. Necessity is the mother of invention some times..and after completing my side sill repaint, felt like doing something simple so I could get back on the road. These posts always come out after I do something like this too!! I will more than likely get the black vents to put over my current set-up after I see how this works. Didn't know they existed. Knew about the DC Performance ones.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i bought my GTS i took off the sills and noticed that there was NO side sill insulation at all. I am running the B&B ex. with no cats and the sills did get pretty hot. I have since added the Roe insulation which seems to have helped a lot, but it definately does trap a lot of heat. Any opinions on whether it would be a good idea to take out the insulation and add the vents?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been enough concerns with wrapped cats, whether with the Roe product or by others, that Roe has discontinued selling that product.

Jon at Parts Rack states that the cats should not be directly insulated, or wrapped.

The concern with the Roe products is that it can absorb contaminants that will make the ceramic based product flammable.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been enough concerns with wrapped cats, whether with the Roe product or by others, that Roe has discontinued selling that product.

Jon at Parts Rack states that the cats should not be directly insulated, or wrapped.

The concern with the Roe products is that it can absorb contaminants that will make the ceramic based product flammable.

For whatever it is worth I have been running Rt Ceramic Cats for over 20,000 miles and they are wrapped along with the complete exhaust system. We have had zero failures of the cats and just recently passed the Connecticut Emissions Test. I installed a set of stainless vents that i bought from a marine supply store behind the front wheel that lets clean cool air flow thru the exhaust side sills.
JMHO :drive:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have cats

I think your main concern would be whether or not you need the factory OEM heat shields that are missing in your side sills. I'd be more concerned about this as I think your side sills are going to suffer and discolor rather quickly without any shielding. The Roe product doesn't replace the sill heat shields. I have the vents, no Roe insulation and OEM heat shields in my sills. Air is able to move freely through the sills and cool the exhaust and it's noticeably different, better. I have 3" exhaust and RT cats as well. The cats helped but the vents made a big difference. I'd think the Roe insulation will block most of the air from the vents and may work against you. I'd give Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge a call and ask him about your missing heat shields as well as the vents.