Sill Temp- How hot is too hot???

DViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently burnt my leg getting out of the car after some spirited driving. I also noticed an odd smell like burning paint. Is this normal for a 2005 with stock exhaust and 700 miles on the clock? The sill temp has been very mild until this last week. My only mod is a K&N.

I know that upgrading the exhaust will reduce the sill temp. But, this will not happen before I track the car this Friday at Thunder Hill. Can I damage anything by getting the sills too hot?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rules of Thumb:

a. Sill is too hot to touch and/or causes 2nd+ degree burns
b. Sill can be used for summer cook outs
c. Sill creates sun spots
d. Sill contributes to global warming
e. Sill is where small animals gather during winter months

If the sill smells like burning paint and clear coat, it may well eventually brown out (see post from white Viper owner who must have repainted).

The 2005 has been insulation, more insulation can be added, Corsa Track stopped all heat on the sills of my Mamba

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, sill temps seem related to the available "air cooling". Lots of fresh moving air before parking will result in consistently cooler sills. Crawlin through traffic in 90 degree heat right before parking usually results in calf-burning-hot sills.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The factory crossover is going to roast you and your sills at the track. A Corsa track system would take care of the heat issue and give you more power and much better sound.

OP
OP
D

DViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory crossover is going to roast you and your sills at the track. A Corsa track system would take care of the heat issue and give you more power and much better sound.

I have the Corsa Track and Random Tech CATS on order, but they won't be here in time for this Friday's event. I guess if it turns brown, I can alway's have the dealer paint or replace it. Being a new Viper owner, I just wanted to make sure the car won't catch fire.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Track and Random Tech CATS on order, but they won't be here in time for this Friday's event. I guess if it turns brown, I can alway's have the dealer paint or replace it. Being a new Viper owner, I just wanted to make sure the car won't catch fire.

Maybe Brad04Mamba of Fresno CA will chime in...
If I recall he did some tracking prior to his Corsa install and although not on fire his pipes were a smokin' after just a few hot laps. :eek:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a video of the British televised road test of the 04 SRT-10. They beat the ever lovin' Sh--t out of it and actually got it to the combustion point on one of the side pipes.

The key point is they drove it abusively HARD .

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a video of the British televised road test of the 04 SRT-10. They beat the ever lovin' Sh--t out of it and actually got it to the combustion point on one of the side pipes.

The key point is they drove it abusively HARD .

That was the TOPGEAR test of the SRT-10 (do a search and you can find a thread with a link to the episode from a couple of months ago). They thrashed that poor car and it kept coming back for more. The host even did a tire smoking burnout session to spell out the word "Viper" on the track using the rubber!

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a white mamba and tried to insulate in more; the car ran warmer than before because i restricted all air passage through inside the sills. Had to take it off. I run two fans (each side) when come I come into my garage. This helps cool it down. A black silicon seal was used along some of the rubber molding. This silicon heats up and runs. On white mambas causing a yellow stain around the the bottom rocker panels. This same material could bleed into the exhaust system and cause the smell you describe.

05 Venom

Have a new '05 and the sill gets warm but nothing unbearable. The longest ride I have taken was only 1 hour and it it still winter in NY so it could alter the
sill temps. From what I have heard the '05 is supposed to be improved as far as the sill heating up. Guess I won't know for sure till the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=weather&v=56">weather</a> warms.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just run the car. You won't hurt the car. You may burn your leg if you don't take quick2tr's advice. Don't play too hard before you park the car. Take it easy on the final "cool down" lap at the track and you will be fine.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Option # 1: Quote "Just run the car. You won't hurt the car. You may burn your leg if you don't take quick2tr's advice. Don't play too hard before you park the car. Take it easy on the final "cool down" lap at the track and you will be fine.

Option # 2: Quote "upgrading the exhaust will reduce the sill temp"

Have fun :laugh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine