Skip Barber Instructors

Larry Dole

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one more experience at the track. I did not go on my assigned day, hungover I think. I went on Sunday, my first two instructors were typical one grabbed the wheel and the other did not say much at all, and 4 laps and your done. The third instructor was indeed a Skip Barber guy. This guy, I wish I remembered his name, was great. I consider myself a decent driver, and so did my instructor. I was having a little problem in the S turns. I would get it about half the time and my instructor kept telling me about the different ways to drive the s turns. After about 20 laps with the intructor I was able to take the s turns very well. He was able to understand my driving style and adapt.

I would have to agree with most, that as far as the intructing goes it was *** luck. I do not go to these VOI events with high expectations, I go to have fun. If you really want to learn how to drive on a track I would suggest a performance driving school, there are plenty of good ones including Skip Barber.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtsviper:
Is there anything that we don't whine about?
If I were Dodge, I'd be pretty sick of all the complaining we do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've got a real problem with those people who don't like our complaining
smile.gif

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but short sleeves are not allowed at

Viper Days
Nelsons Ledges
Silver State Road Race (duffer classes where driving suit not required.)

Nor are shorts.

And these are all "driving schools" at best.

=================================================

3/4 oval would have allowed me to get the feel of a mid bank oval without having to beat on the brakes.

Due to the limitations of stock brakes, I simply baby them. What is the point to do otherwise? If you have racing brakes, race - if you have stock brakes, forget about it.

==================================================

Dividing drivers into skill levels is not a good idea.

I am a beginner but my skills are much better than a beginner.

However, I have no wish to drive at the limits of my skills.

I did this for a while at Viper Days and I did not find it fun to tear up my car.

The groups should be based on how fast/agressively you plan to drive the oval.

Unfortunately, my plans of "Sunday driving" mean that I could safety drive the oval without ANY infield portion.

I mean, wouldn't it be more fun to drive around at 125-135 mph and just enjoy the experience?

In fact, this could be done if they were out on the oval with a radar gun for various groups.

But I know, people are idiots. Some ***** would try to top end his car... into a wall...

I still liked the whole event!

In future events I will simply drive slower with a wheel tugger in my car!

Tom

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I can distill everything that people seem to be saying. It seems that we all had the instructor who grabbed the wheel. I had it happen to me and it scared the crap out of me. I'm not a pro, but can at least find my way around a track. The guy took the wheel in a corner. Not good. Is it possible that due to the high turnover of different instructors in our cars that most of us got the "wheel stealer" at least once? He seems to be the guy who bummed most people out.

Reaction score
Steering assist is likely the result of a perceived need for safety or to show a suggested driving line. All drivers did not have steering assist.

However, I expect many or perhaps most drivers to be new to driving, on a race track, without double lines to guide their way.

At this event drivers needed to focus on looking ahead and through corners and not what was behind them. The instructor in the car "following" would not let his driver make an unsafe pass. Driving in the rear view is a dangerous activity, but a glance back is appropriate for open track driving.

Drivers unfamiliar with steering assist may on first glance feel such an activity is scary or dangerous. When this happens the driver's control is removed, who likes to feel out of control?. Which is not to say the steering assist was inappropriate.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a couple instructors steering assist me when they said to let a faster car pass me on the outside.

...like I needed assist to obey that verbal command...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the "steering assist" guy on my first - and last - draw. I had decent lines and good speed. The Barber cars were on a tear and so he kept grabbing the wheel (turns, straights, oval, EVERYTHING) so they could pass. No problem. But then he kept grabbing the wheel so that he could drive HIS line from the passenger seat. I know what an apex is and am generally decent about hitting it. Never got the chance. We pulled back in after two laps on my request and I never went back out again. Handed the keys to Joel (my Irish friend) and let him have at it. He stayed out for a LONG time (different instructors) and never had anybody touch the steering wheel. It didn't tick me off, as I was happy for Joel. I am also aware that this was NOT a driving intruction in the slightest, but more of a "keep it off of the wall" effort. Chuck would have hated it.
laugh.gif

Chris

Reaction score
Chris your view of the activity is on target. It is an opportunity to drive on a major race track in your car at your speed with a passenger, who happens to be contracted by Skip Barber, to keep the event safe.

A few of the really good Skip Barber instructors (I know pretty well, from the many programs under my belt.) will not do this event. And they will not coach drivers on a race track, from the passenger seat, unless they know the driver's skills, know he do as instructed and will stay within their limits.

I have no interest to be a passenger in a Viper, Corvette, or other high performance car, on a race track with someone driving that I do not know.