skip shift / shift light

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb a$$ question but I only had my gen 3 for 500 miles before my motor went so I have not had any time to learn this on my own.

the 1st to 4th skip shift, can it be reprogrammed using the SCT to be a shift light at ANY rpm? watching all these videos it looks that way, also whats the diff between red and yellow?

Thanks

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow arrow tells you when the skip shift is active, red arrow says you took it too far! Call Parts rack and ask for the skip shift eliminator. Cheap easy plug in mod

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya, yellow pretty much means give it some more gas so you can shift into 2nd. Red means you are at maximum RPM and should of already shifted to the next gear.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the skip shift eliminator already, I was just wondering if you can program the red light (through SCT tune) to go on at an Rpm I choose

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The sct tuner i believe will eliminate the light all together. Once you drive the car a bit more, you wont even know the light exists. At least i dont in my car.

F

FrgMstr

No, red does NOT mean you "took it too far." Red means it is time to shift. Straight from the horse's mouth.....

The RED ARROW is a bit of an insider secret. I think there is a bronze statue to its creator. I do NOT believe it is discussed in the owners manual...... is it? Dont think so.....

But in fact it IS a performance SHIFT LIGHT as some draggers install to a) shift for max torque retention and/or b) not over-rev. The fuel cutoff is just ABOVE the red-light.

NOTE: The amber up-light is Federally mandated. It says "Shift Up To Save Fuel" (and lose all your torque.) The Red-Lite is an Anti-Fed poke. What a Company!

If you are not "seeing red," that just means you are losing if I am at the intersection with you. ;)

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so red is the STOCK max shift point, what about when its modded?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are two lights at play in Gen 3-4, of the same exact indicator ARROW. ( I may be wrong about G-3... anyone?)

AMBER ARROW is the CAGS low-speed 1st-to-4th lockout. Federally mandated. If you do shift when amber, you go to 4th. Annoying at parking-lot speeds. Most owners 'outgrow' the inconvenince after a few months.

That same arrow glows RED ARROW at the optimum shift point for drags/racing, a nose-thumbing to the feds by SRT Engineers! "Dodge-We Give A $hit".... SHIFT AT THIS POINT for max torque recovery.

I suspect a PCM programmer guru can change the red zone, but its already at the OE sweet spot

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhh I got cha, cool thanks Jon, when I have her dyno'd and find my new sweet spot, ill see if they can set it to my new sweet spot

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how Eric (Houston VCA) explained it when I asked a similar question!

"Yellow means shift, red means shift NOW!, fuel cutoff means your a dumb *ss and SLITHR took over for your right foot..... :D"

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two lights at play in Gen 3-4, of the same exact indicator ARROW. ( I may be wrong about G-3... anyone?)

AMBER ARROW is the CAGS low-speed 1st-to-4th lockout. Federally mandated. If you do shift when amber, you go to 4th. Annoying at parking-lot speeds. Most owners 'outgrow' the inconvenince after a few months.

That same arrow glows RED ARROW at the optimum shift point for drags/racing, a nose-thumbing to the feds by SRT Engineers! "Dodge-We Give A $hit".... SHIFT AT THIS POINT for max torque recovery.

I suspect a PCM programmer guru can change the red zone, but its already at the OE sweet spot

The skip shift is not federally mandated as far as I know. The explanation given to me by the lead Viper engineer is that the skip shift avoids the 2-3 and 3-4 transitions resulting from shifting. Saving a transition on the motor reduces emissions in the EPA loop.

For those that want a real programmable shift light, buy the Raptor shift light. Have it in two of my Vipers. Works great. Google them.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a track situation the little red arrow is useless. It is too small, not bright enough, and mounted too low to be of any use. Get a real shift light like the Raptor and mount it on the A pillar. It is small, like the size of a roll of dimes, programmable, and bright as heck. Its also inexpensive and you won't even know its there until it tells you to shift. With the exception of the need to tap into two wires in the PCM harness (solder them) the installation is easy.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The skip shift is not federally mandated as far as I know. The explanation given to me by the lead Viper engineer is that the skip shift avoids the 2-3 and 3-4 transitions resulting from shifting. Saving a transition on the motor reduces emissions in the EPA loop. For those that want a real programmable shift light, buy the Raptor shift light. Have it in two of my Vipers. Works great. Google them.

Technically you may be correct: The feds give a fuel-mileage 'handicap' allowance that resulted in better MPG rating, and in lower gas-guzzler taxes IF the manufacturer installed a CAGS. So it was more like blackmail vs a mandate.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically you may be correct: The feds give a fuel-mileage 'handicap' allowance that resulted in better MPG rating, and in lower gas-guzzler taxes IF the manufacturer installed a CAGS. So it was more like blackmail vs a mandate.

What, the government would blackmail a large corporation to force an agenda? Say it ain't so. ;)

MI Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So if u are in 1st and the Amber arrow comes on and you accelerate until the Arrow goes out, you can shift into 2nd no problem. I had a couple of 1-2 shifts where I can't get into 2nd, and I can't remember if the Skip Shift light was on...

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The easiest thing is to just install the simple $13 skip shift eliminator and forget about the issue. You can buy them right on eBay. I have them in both my Vipers and they work slick.
So if u are in 1st and the Amber arrow comes on and you accelerate until the Arrow goes out, you can shift into 2nd no problem. I had a couple of 1-2 shifts where I can't get into 2nd, and I can't remember if the Skip Shift light was on...

MI Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The easiest thing is to just install the simple $13 skip shift eliminator and forget about the issue. You can buy them right on eBay. I have them in both my Vipers and they work slick.

VP1,
Thanks for the advice, and I went to EBay to look and could only find Viper skip shift eliminator for years 1992 -2006, but we have a 2009..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viper-92-02...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9aa37927&vxp=mtr

In fact in the ad above it states " Does not fit 2008-2009"

The same with this ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-VIPER...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1c1bdbc9&vxp=mtr

In fact this ad says there isn't 1 built yet for Gen. IV, 2008-2010...

http://www.theviperstore.com/Viper3_Products_Performance_Transmission_Upgrades.htm

That kinda *****, I read somewhere that a Mopar ECM is the only way, as of Right Now, to delete the Skip Shift in a Gen IV, besides the other benefits of the Mopar ECM. Am I correct or just a newbie learning as fast I can....

Thanks,
MI V.

Last edited:

MI Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And if no one builds a Viper skip shift eliminator for Gen IV's years 2008-2010, is my original Q still the best way to deal with it, if I can't disconnect it?
Thanks,
MI V.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look at eBay item # 281203386495. It shows it for a GM application but looks just like the spare that I currently have. Mine have come from PMPS.CO, 210 Venice Ave., Apt. 3, Huntington Beach, CA 92648. I don't happen to see a presentation from him on eBay right now. It was listed for a Challenger application but worked perfectly on my Vipers. I just went to that website and found what you want and it continues to show it for a 2008-up Challenger and earlier Vipers. I can't say it will work on anything other than a 2008 Viper but again, it has worked fine on both my 2008 Vipers. Good luck, Mike
VP1,
Thanks for the advice, and I went to EBay to look and could only find Viper skip shift eliminator for years 1992 -2006, but we have a 2009..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viper-92-02...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9aa37927&vxp=mtr

In fact in the ad above it states " Does not fit 2008-2009"

The same with this ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-VIPER...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1c1bdbc9&vxp=mtr

In fact this ad says there isn't 1 built yet for Gen. IV, 2008-2010...

http://www.theviperstore.com/Viper3_Products_Performance_Transmission_Upgrades.htm

That kinda *****, I read somewhere that a Mopar ECM is the only way, as of Right Now, to delete the Skip Shift in a Gen IV, besides the other benefits of the Mopar ECM. Am I correct or just a newbie learning as fast I can....

Thanks,
MI V.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at eBay item # 281203386495. It shows it for a GM application but looks just like the spare that I currently have. Mine have come from PMPS.CO, 210 Venice Ave., Apt. 3, Huntington Beach, CA 92648. I don't happen to see a presentation from him on eBay right now. It was listed for a Challenger application but worked perfectly on my Vipers. I just went to that website and found what you want and it continues to show it for a 2008-up Challenger and earlier Vipers. I can't say it will work on anything other than a 2008 Viper but again, it has worked fine on both my 2008 Vipers. Good luck, Mike

It works for 2008 Vipers (and earlier) ONLY. In 2009, they introduced a check in the PCM to make sure the solenoid was functioning as intended; i.e. if you install an eliminator, it will eventually throw a code. This check is only on 2009-2010 Vipers (not sure about the Gen 5 cars).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss