Slow server

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kidding.
Sometimes I can't log on in the morning (middle of the night for you guys).
Must be a safety measure to keep 'evildoers' away ! :)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've notice the same thing.
Try here, it's moving Sllooowww....
Go back to another site, and BAM, fast as it should be!

I guess it's like turning down the thermostat at night! :p

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad Im not the only one who has been having problems with it. It takes forever and a day to load some pages and Im on cable.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad Im not the only one who has been having problems with it. It takes forever and a day to load some pages and Im on cable.

The problem is not on your end. It's the site's. It's not on a pipe large enough to carry this kind of traffic. The server is probably an old PII sitting in someone's basement on their dsl. The site slows down when they're downloading ****. jk :D

Makes me want to volunteer my ds-3 connection to the cause.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just the lastest Gen 3 software that DC has put out. They said it was the best and everyone will like it!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slow in the morning here for the last few months with the time difference you lot would be in bed so it cant be to many people online problem, I go elsewhere till it warms up... is it a maintainance mode ?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should see this issue is gone, if not, please drop me a note.

We have been chasing down the problem for several weeks, first thing we found was a corrupted SQL database, after rebuild, things got better for a little while, then went south again.

The real culprit was nice enough to show itself on Friday, one of the hard drives in the RAID array (finally) died. As it was supposed to, the raid controller pulled the drive out of the array and the server is now running on the three remianing drives. CPU usage is back down to .3 from a peak of 10 while the drive was dying..... y'all would usually see that "SQL database error" at those peak CPU usage times...

Two new drives are on order (one to replace the dead drive, and one spare), and should be in on Monday. The server will be down for a few hours for the drive install.

We are not sure why the raid controller did not let us know the drive was dying, but at least the server did not puke completely like it did in pre-raid controller days. Sorry about the servers pokiness over the last few weeks, if it happens again, we'll look at the drives first.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It’s been working dog-slow for me all morning.

I set up a protocol analyzer on my session. The analyzer shows my HTTP GET leave my machine headed to /forums/ubbthreads.php followed by an acknowledgement of the GET by VCA2.VIPERCLUB.ORG (12.41.224.6). The acknowledgement is retuned to me within a few hundred microseconds. Then a longtime later (30 seconds+), VCA2.VIPERCLUG.ORG actually returns the HTTP DATA.

Something is still wrong with the VCA server(s). If this were a network issue, I would be seeing TCP retransmissions but I’m not.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
THANKS, Jay...and THANKS to All that work so hard to maintain and improve this board. I am sure that it is a huge task. Hopefully, the situation will continue to improve.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay: Yeah... pesky problems hides itself well. The two worst culprits are bad drives and bad RAM. They're always the last things you check AFTER tearing your hair out looking everywhere else. Thanks for all your good work.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s been working dog-slow for me all morning.

I set up a protocol analyzer on my session. The analyzer shows my HTTP GET leave my machine headed to /forums/ubbthreads.php followed by an acknowledgement of the GET by VCA2.VIPERCLUB.ORG (12.41.224.6). The acknowledgement is retuned to me within a few hundred microseconds. Then a longtime later (30 seconds+), VCA2.VIPERCLUG.ORG actually returns the HTTP DATA.

Something is still wrong with the VCA server(s). If this were a network issue, I would be seeing TCP retransmissions but I’m not.

Yep, you're right.... the raid is working, but not behaving. The new drives arrived and should be installed tomorrow AM if all goes as planned. Next on the list is doubling the RAM.... after a badly needed operating system upgrade and housecleaning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187