Smartphones as data loggers...

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
 So I was on the track the other day, driving at speed & using my phone...           ...for telemetry.  Hah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2bIJfuKxXw

As I become even more track-obsessed, the data hound in me wants to crunch numbers and identify my weak points.  There are many, but that also means that there are better times ahead with planning and practice ;).  I don't want to drop money (that I'll need for tires & brakes) on a dedicated datalogging setup ($500 and up, way up), so I decided to try utilizing my Droid X and an app called TrackMaster as the logger.  My P-car instructor buddy Glynn is going through the same process with his iPhone and the Harry's Lap Timer app.

Data acquisition by a smartphone's native GPS is limiting if you're traveling at speed.  Present internal GPS systems update at 1 Hz (once a second) and have marginal accuracy.  So my first step was to buy an external bluetooth GPS unit (QStarz BT 818XT $70) and pair it to the Droid.  This GPS can be mounted remotely in the car, and is capable of 5 and 10 Hz rates.  The Droid accepted the 10 Hz feed with no problem, so that's what I've been using.  Trackmaster logs lateral and longitudinal Gs by reading the phone's accelerometers, so that's incorporated into the data file as well.

I love my GoPro, and the whole point of this exercise was to overlay the data onto the captured HD video.  I purchased DashWare (~$40) for my PC; this program very nicely allows you to marry the video file with whatever data files you can collect... selecting and modifying/creating gauges and displays that will then be rendered onto your video file.  Very slick program, with a nice synch utility to get everything stitched together correctly in time.  Also allows setting splits on your GPS track map, with results graphing.

Next up, I need to find a cheap standalone OBDII logger, so that I'll be able to log RPM, etc.  Then I'll be able to add the tach, throttle, and brake gauges and call it complete.

I've also been using a PLX Kiwi bluetooth OBDII dongle, with the Torque app.  Lots of useful stuff there, from checking/clearing codes to datalogging and performance meter widgets.  The outcome of all this techno toy use has been a real appreciation for the abilities of the current generation of smartphones.  When next I upgrade, I'm keeping the old phone as a VERY useful automotive tool.

Rich

Last edited:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, I just posted less than five minutes ago a new thread about in-car telemetry, who was using what etc. I wanted to have the ability to show the track I was on as well as speed, G force, etc. Where did you buy your items to piece your system together? I have a Sprint Evo 3G/4G phone and an IPad, any ideas? Thanks. Jeff

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really weird synchronicity: you're also right here in NorCal. Were you at the meeting last night?

I picked up the external GPS unit from Amazon; QStarz BT 818XT. I'd do some research to make sure people are using the Evo with that GPS unit and TrackMaster app before you buy.

And there's a VCA group purchase on right now (search recent threads for "GoPro") for the GoPro HD Motorsports bundle... a great chance to save some $$.

Let me know if you need more specific info...

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already on the list for the Gopro group buy, will be my second one, want to try out the 3d aspect video with the twin camera housings. I'm to far north to be able to run down for the dinner on a weeknight, kids and school, wife is deployed currently. She is at Travis AFB and I work in Sacramento. Thanks for the info, I 'll be checking Amazon.com to see if they have that remote GPS antenna. Jeff

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome video/thread... I use Torque with my Atrix, will probably get in on the GoPro buy. Haven't had my car out on the track yet, but this is exactly the stuff I am looking for as an IT nerd... Definitely need to check out Dashware and Trackmaster. thank you!

-mb

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Torque application with OBDII allows the telemetry capability that you are looking to log. You can basically log any parameter provided by the PCM. I have used my EVOs GPS and have found it to be quite accurate. I have spoken to the Torque developer on numerous applications, and he is working on other aspects of the paid version of the app, such as time/parameter (speed/rpm/etc.) to nearest 0.1s for standing mile events, etc.

See EVO's GPS recorded "Max Speed" and my Texas Mile speed slip:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...good Evo info, thanks for posting. Booyah for 174 mph!

I think if you're looking at logging straight-line events such as 1/4 mile drags or the standing mile, the phone's internal GPS rate will do just fine. We just ran into problems on the road course, where GPS updates at 1 Hz mean that you're logging a position every 88 feet in turns at 60 mph... the resolution is too coarse for useful analysis.

Rich

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool video.

Interesting to see everything in sync with video/etc. My GoPro always fogs us after a lap or two???? Any tips? Also thanks for the post. I looking into a lot of this stuff myself so you just saved me a lot of homework!

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool video.

Interesting to see everything in sync with video/etc. My GoPro always fogs us after a lap or two???? Any tips? Also thanks for the post. I looking into a lot of this stuff myself so you just saved me a lot of homework!

The most common problem with GoPro video is rattlin' bad audio. So we usually try to minimize this by using the waterproof housing, which, by the way, doesn't work at all to clean up the audio. So I use the open-back cover for the housing. The back cover of the camera needs to be very snug, and the camera should be immovable in the housing... so put your rig together and shake it. If you hear ANYTHING, rest assured it'll show up loudly on your video). In my experience, the best way to reduce the rattle/clatter in the audio track is to mount the camera directly to a very solid surface (i.e. not a body panel). For the my ACR, I chose the lowest portion of the bumper/air dam:

You must be registered for see images attach

If you find that you need to use the waterproof housing, you can eliminate fogging by adding dessicant strips (GoPro sells them, of course) inside the housing. But you might find that leaving the camera and open housing (separate) out in the sun prior to your run may solve the problem. It's definitely worse if the camera and housing are at different temps when you seal the back plate...

Good luck...

Rich

i8ursvt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is awesome! looks like a Need 4 Speed video game! very cool

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your video and setup was simply amazing. I'm going to try and set this up in the offseason so I can be ready to go next summer. Based on the info you provided, I should be able to duplicate the video w/ the following equipment.

1. GoPro HD
2. Quartz BT 818XT External GPS (Unless my new Iphone 4S has a good enough one)
3. Harry's Lap Time App (I'm an Iphone User)
4. Dashware Software
5. OBDII Logger

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your video and setup was simply amazing. I'm going to try and set this up in the offseason so I can be ready to go next summer. Based on the info you provided, I should be able to duplicate the video w/ the following equipment.

1. GoPro HD
2. Quartz BT 818XT External GPS (Unless my new Iphone 4S has a good enough one)
3. Harry's Lap Time App (I'm an Iphone User)
4. Dashware Software
5. OBDII Logger

Check the data rate for the internal GPS rate on the iPhone 4s; they may have improved it. If you still want/need the higher 5 or 10 Hz rate, you'll need to check compatibility of the Qstarz GPS unit with your iPhone... need to ensure that the iPhone can accept the rate that the Qstarz is sending.

Get a really kick-ass phone dock. The more secure your iPhone, the better the accelerometer data. Also, fewer worries about the phone flying out the window during turn exit!

You can overlay all the data I have without the OBDII feed. That'll be necessary for RPM's, throttle position, braking, IAT's, etc.

Rich

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich, thanks for all the great info. I'll keep you posted on how fast the Iphone 4s is when i receive it. Great call in getting a heafty phone dock. I drive a vert, so that thing could easily fly out the car. I'm not even sure the track marshalls will let me out on the track with my phone out. I guess i'll find out next year.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21