SMOGGING---

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by FRANK GUERRINI, Nov 19, 2018.

1. FRANK GUERRINI

FRANK GUERRINI VCA E-Member - West

1999 DODGE VIPER GTS COUPE--REPLACED BATTERY---CAR WONT PASS SMOG---CATS NOT READY??? WHAT DO WE DO-----

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

You might just need to drive it around some until it can run all of its self diagnostics. With a new battery the old memory might have been cleared, so the ready checks are likely not "ready". There is a certain amount of runtime and cycles that have to occur before all of the self checks can happen.

FRANK GUERRINI likes this.
  3. Frank Parise

Frank Parise VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ

Several years ago the same thing happened to me when I brought my rarely driven 02 RT10 in for emissions. They were not getting a reading. So, i took it on a 50-mile drive, then came back and passed the test.

4. diamond head

diamond head Enthusiast

Had to do the same when my battery died. Drove on the freeway for 50 miles at a continuous speed. Passed with no problems.

5. Bonkers

Bonkers VCA Venom Member - Northeast

Also, hi-flo cats need to be hot to function, so you shouldnt
    be going through inspection without going for a very long
    ride first anyway. Otherwise you might not meet emissions
    standards either.

6. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Boy that sounds like a pain to pass inspection, I have no cats and never had a problem, O yea I live in Prescott AZ and there is no inspection, except for the left wing a holes moving here from California, its a great place. Hopefully they will build a wall around California to stop the migration of liberals, that will destroy other states.

7. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

I can't believe I said that, O well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. FRANK GUERRINI

FRANK GUERRINI VCA E-Member - West

YES WE HATE CA--------------------!!! DID THE DRIVE CYCLE THE EVAP DID RESET THE CATS DID NOT-----THEY LET YOU SLIDE WITH ONE----WE RAN IT----IT PASSED ----DROVE IT WITH MY SCAN TOOL PLUGED IN-----50 TO 65--- MINE HAS BORLA EXHAUST WITH BORLA CATS AND MUFFLERS--- ITS STILL VERY LOUD----

9. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Frank that's great that you passed, I once lived in NJ which is just as bad as California, if not worse. I feel your pain. Here in Prescott being a Mechanic and car guy I am free to make my cars the way they should have come from the factory. Had all my cars trucked to AZ and all the cars that had Cats, when they got here were missing, someone must have taken them.:)