Snake oyl cruise control, who has it?? Group buy???

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I will probably get a little flak for this but I want cruise control in my Viper. When on long trips it would sure add to the comfort level and I find myself just running along at 95mph sometimes.

I was wondering if anybody here has the snake oyl cruise control set up on their SRT and how do you like it? Do they function well?

The snake oyl set up is pretty damed expensive but I don't know if any other set up will work on my car. All of the other aftermarket set ups I have seen require a vacuum can to work and I have a supercharged car so vacuum is problem.

If there are some more out there that would like it maybe we could set up a group buy??

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I will probably get a little flak for this but I want cruise control in my Viper. When on long trips it would sure add to the comfort level and I find myself just running along at 95mph sometimes.

I was wondering if anybody here has the snake oyl cruise control set up on their SRT and how do you like it? Do they function well?

The snake oyl set up is pretty damed expensive but I don't know if any other set up will work on my car. All of the other aftermarket set ups I have seen require a vacuum can to work and I have a supercharged car so vacuum is problem.

If there are some more out there that would like it maybe we could set up a group buy??

I have it and it works well. Not exactly as good as a factory installed system, but for me I am glad I added it.

Not the easiest thing to install with poor installation directions. If you are not that handy there is no way you should attempt to install this item. The ad in the magazine makes it sound like a snap to install but it is far from a snap.

You have to remove the inner front wheel well which is not real obvious how to get it out w/o scratching your quarter panel. You need to splice into a couple wiring harnesses and various other wires.

You also need to feed a wiring harness and cable through a gromet in the firewall and drill a small hole in your gas pedal to hook up the cruise cable.

But once installed, it does work well.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it and it works well. Not exactly as good as a factory installed system, but for me I am glad I added it.

Not the easiest thing to install with poor installation directions. If you are not that handy there is no way you should attempt to install this item. The ad in the magazine makes it sound like a snap to install but it is far from a snap.

You have to remove the inner front wheel well which is not real obvious how to get it out w/o scratching your quarter panel. You need to splice into a couple wiring harnesses and various other wires.

You also need to feed a wiring harness and cable through a gromet in the firewall and drill a small hole in your gas pedal to hook up the cruise cable.

But once installed, it does work well.

I was looking at this setup also and it says you only have a remote in the drivers area, so why the wires through the firewall:dunno:

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at this setup also and it says you only have a remote in the drivers area, so why the wires through the firewall:dunno:

Yes, the description on their web site states:

Developed in conjunction with Chrysler, our cruise control system uses a remote transmitter and requires no wiring inside the car. Controlled with a pre-programmed, computerized actuator under the hood, the only part that enters the drivers compartment is the small controller, which you position where you like. 6-wire installation and NO BRAKE OR CLUTCH SWITCHES the system reads the rpm and speedometer through your car's computer.

Yes, this is very misleading. The way the system works is an actuator is mounted inside the front fender well. It bolts right onto the frame behind the front wheel well in front of the fire wall. The actuator has a cable and wire harness that needs to go through the firewall. The cable will get attached to the gas pedal. Thus the actuator pulls the cable which depresses the gas pedal to set the proper speed.

The wiring harness attaches to a small controller which mounts inside the interior on the trans tunnel area to two bolts that already exist. That controller is what controls the actuator by receiving commands from the wireless transmitter which is mounted on the dash or steering wheel.

You will need to splice into a controller harness behind the front headlight to pick up the signal to electrically monitor the vehicle's speed, the clutch wire to disable the cruise if you depress the clutch, the brake wire to disable the cruise if you depress the brake, and the ignition wire in order to power the unit.

Just a tad more complicated than they lead you to believe. It is a good product, but the way they explain how simple it is to install is misleading.

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, sounds like a pain in the *** but I do want cruise pretty bad. Looks like I have a new project to look forward to!

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah...
I knew that was coming.

Vegas and back in the GTS and from LA to Seattle in the Copperhead...
My foot still has a few cramps:D

You new guys need to put a few miles on before you judge...

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually I can understand cruise control. Makes sense to me. Definitely would help that leg on long trips.

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a little interest in this, if a few people want it I could try to organize a group buy. I don't have enough people to negotiate just yet.
There is strength in numbers so if you are interested let me know and I will take our case to Snake Oyl.

Welcome to the dark side John!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a little interest in this, if a few people want it I could try to organize a group buy. I don't have enough people to negotiate just yet.
There is strength in numbers so if you are interested let me know and I will take our case to Snake Oyl.

a strong possibly here :D

:eater:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a cheapo suggestion: Long drives in my Gen 1 were tiring since I had to hold my right knee "upright." I put a 2" thick pad on the transmission tunnel so I could lean or rest my right knee on it while driving. Makes a 95% improvement, and helps in autocross since your right knee has something to brace against. Dunno if Gen 2-3-4 has added a cushion or something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62