Snake Oyl Cruise Control

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I didn't really want to do this, only because I've already seen the kind of responses I'm going to get.

I recently purchased the Snake Oyl Cruise Control module for my 2000 GTS. As I was already warned through some searching, the instructions were pretty vague.

I know I'm supposed to mount the control module against an inner fender well, but one member stated that no drilling was required to do this. However, he has a Gen III.

I'm looking for anyone who installed this on a Gen II that could give me some feedback. I'm obviously a little hesitant to go drilling into a Viper (though the driver's side fenderwell is already modified by the Wilwood hydroboost Master Cylinder, and the original piece is still available to me.)

I'd really like to not turn this into a debate regarding "creature comforts" on Vipers. I intend on driving this car a lot and making frequent long trips with it, and I suspect that the cruise control will eventually pay for itself with better gas mileage over long trips.

Thanks.

Jeff

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pls post up how you like the unit after installed (holds steady speed, hills, braking, clutching, etc.)

thanks

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nooooobody has Gen I's or II's with this? I really wonder how SweetRed04 installed it without drilling...

Well, luckily the Gen II doesn't have an outer fender, so I should just be able to remove the wheel, measure TWICE.... and drill the holes. My only other concern is the cable that runs alongside this same area (I looked briefly but not thoroughly enough to figure out what it went to) but the module has a metal "trough" that runs around it, and I'm sure I can slip this trough around this cable to keep it pretty close to where it used to sit.

If/when I ever get it installed, I'll take some detailed photographs and post my own little "how-to," along with a thorough product review. I imagine it'll get used rather frequently.

Ray W, how would you say it handled fuel efficiency on long trips?

Jeff

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was an anti cruise control person also.. This Christmas though when I nearly drove 1000 miles, it sure would have been nice.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"No drilling" would indicate to me that some sticky tape was used. Not that I've ever installed one.:dunno: Just guessing.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was an anti cruise control person also.. This Christmas though when I nearly drove 1000 miles, it sure would have been nice.

I plan on attending events like Carlisle, Mopar Nats, etc, and the wife and I are looking forward to some long-trip vacations for birthdays and the like... I could see being "anti-cruise" if you strictly raced with the Viper, but so few people actually do that, so I don't really see what the big deal is. :) It's not like I'm installing an automatic!!

Jeff

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

This thing works great.

Installed mine a couple of years ago. ... too many long trips out here.

Directions are lousy.

pm will be sent.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the install is bad. The system itself works great. I don't know about mileage,but comfort going back and forth to VOI's and other events is great. I did not mount the steering wheel control. I just keep it in the glove box till I want to use it.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

This thing works great.

Installed mine a couple of years ago. ... too many long trips out here.

Directions are lousy.

pm will be sent.

George send me a PM with the instructions as well. I just made a weekend roundtrip to Dallas and it sure would have been nice!

Mike Tobin

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,
I put one in my '02 a few years back.
You will definitely have to drill a few holes. I hated the thought of doing it, but once it was in, I never gave it a second thought. The unit does work really well and is great for those long trips.

I had to drill one small hole through the firewall and a couple holes through the fender well to mount the cable control unit.

Figuring out the wiring harness was the most confusing part. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I can take mine apart and take some pictures.

Good luck !
Lance

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring I'm totally comfortable with - rewired the entire engine bay in my 'Cuda, and have done tons of aftermarket wiring projects in my 01 Stratus. Just worried about the mounting procedure. Checking PM's now. Thanks so much, guys.

Jeff

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing just came to mind.....
When you mount the cable control box, make sure that your hood clears. I had to move mine down to keep it from hitting the hood.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeup I already looked into that briefly - I'll be test fitting everything before doing any drilling. Ya know - measure twice - that sorta thing. :)

Thanks.

Jeff

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been using one for 6 years on my GTS, The only issue I have is down a long steep hill on the highway the speed will creep up to illegal because the engine in sixth gear does not produce enough engine braking to slow it down, otherwise it works great.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell my 5-speed 01 Stratus does that too. :)

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm really looking forward to getting this installed. Now if this &@^$**! snow would melt off and STAY off....

Jeff

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I mounted the actuator in a totally different place from where the directions tell you.

It is below the engine controller on the driver's side, mounted to the wheel well.

No heat issues and no moving of a lot of wires. Did not use heat shield either.

Works great - have taken on 8-9 hour trips no problems.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen the system installed; but, if you didn't want to drill new holes in the inner fender, you possibly could use existing holes that the harness clips pop into. You would have to fabricate some kind of bracketry or plate that bolts into those holes and it would then provide mounting points in the required locations. Sounds like too much work to me.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had considered that, except that then the bracket sits pretty high on the fender, and could possibly interfere with hood clearance.

The previous owner of my Viper installed a Willwood hydro-boost master cylinder. When he did so, the new master cylinder rubbed against the inner fender. Instead of just cutting a small hole in the fender for clearance, he went and bought a NEW inner fender, and cut the hole in it. His theory was to have every single original part required to return the car to 100% stock if needbe. So really, whereas I'm nervous to go drilling on a Viper, it't not like I'm ruining parts. The fender has already been modified, and I have the original, so it's really no-big-deal.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hole-E-Crap what a pain in the butt this install was...

Turns out, the usual spot that everyone managed to install theirs doesn't work on my Viper - with the hydroboost master cylinder set-up, I have a bundle of large-diameter steel braided pressure lines running from the power steering pump to the master cylinder running along that fender wall, leaving no room for the module. I ended up having to tuck it underneath the washer fluid reservoir, mounting it at an angle, and running the cable up underneath the master cylinder, along the top of the intake manifold and up to the throttle linkage.

I learned a valuable lesson - there is one and only one way to position yourself underneath the dash to work on wiring. Attempt any other method, and you might need specialized extracation units to get you out!

I also learned this - Snake Oyl includes miserable instructions with this kit, and quite frankly I was embarrased at the lack of assistance provided by the instructions that were included with this $600 upgrade.

All that being said, I did get it installed, it does work (although I had to tweak it as after the first test-drive, the motor was stuck at a 2,000 rpm idle!!) and I took some detailed photos in the interest of generating my own, better-quality "How-To."

Jeff

Emmitt McGowan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hole-E-**** what a pain in the **** this install was...

Turns out, the usual spot that everyone managed to install theirs doesn't work on my Viper - with the hydroboost master cylinder set-up, I have a bundle of large-diameter steel braided pressure lines running from the power steering pump to the master cylinder running along that fender wall, leaving no room for the module. I ended up having to tuck it underneath the washer fluid reservoir, mounting it at an angle, and running the cable up underneath the master cylinder, along the top of the intake manifold and up to the throttle linkage.

I learned a valuable lesson - there is one and only one way to position yourself underneath the dash to work on wiring. Attempt any other method, and you might need specialized extracation units to get you out!

I also learned this - Snake Oyl includes miserable instructions with this kit, and quite frankly I was embarrased at the lack of assistance provided by the instructions that were included with this $600 upgrade.

All that being said, I did get it installed, it does work (although I had to tweak it as after the first test-drive, the motor was stuck at a 2,000 rpm idle!!) and I took some detailed photos in the interest of generating my own, better-quality "How-To."

Jeff
Hello Jeff - wondering if you ever posted your "How-to" on this install. I'm really considering this for my O5. Thanks in advance.

Emmitt

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are right ... directions not so hot. I corrected them and sent in for updates.

Didn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper