So HOW much better does the Gen V ride than the Gen IV

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT rides about the same as my 08 coupes. Never driven a GTS with the adjustable shocks...

Bill

A few people with a GTS who owns previous vipers needs to come and comment because if the base SRT rides the same as previous ones that is not very comforting for a car that is claimed to be DD able.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few people with a GTS who owns previous vipers needs to come and comment because if the base SRT rides the same as previous ones that is not very comforting for a car that is claimed to be DD able.

If it weren't for weather, theft and parking concerns my gen 3 would be DD-able... Ride quality is a personal threshold thing. (I know you're shopping so wanted to call that one out)

I'm curious to hear if a more compliant GTS is actually a little faster for practical use - if the car is less upset by lousy pavement, potholes etc..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doctorbob,

Sounds like you are back in the marketplace. (hope you enjoyed the brochure)

Seems to me that while the ride is only slightly improved, it is the creature comforts from the better seats, better electronics, less tramlining, quieter interior, less wind noise, and generally a more solid, better constructed chassis that makes it more of a better daily driver.

Cruise control, keyless entry, gps, improved stereo, lighter clutch, easier shifting, better gear ratios and other things like this make it a more refined ride, abit still with a pretty solid and firm suspension.

Woodhouse is updating lots of their new cars with MCS shocks for an even better ride, but for most the standard suspension, or the even better adjustable GTS suspension might just make this a even more fantastic Grand Touring ride.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doctorbob,

Sounds like you are back in the marketplace. (hope you enjoyed the brochure)

Seems to me that while the ride is only slightly improved, it is the creature comforts from the better seats, better electronics, less tramlining, quieter interior, less wind noise, and generally a more solid, better constructed chassis that makes it more of a better daily driver.

Cruise control, keyless entry, gps, improved stereo, lighter clutch, easier shifting, better gear ratios and other things like this make it a more refined ride, abit still with a pretty solid and firm suspension.

Woodhouse is updating lots of their new cars with MCS shocks for an even better ride, but for most the standard suspension, or the even better adjustable GTS suspension might just make this a even more fantastic Grand Touring ride.

What does MCS stand for? I'm still skeptical about the GTS shocks because bilsteins aren't known for being grand touring ride level.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, coming from a 335i, I don't find the SRT to be overly harsh. If you hit a terrible road, you'll feel all the bumps, but overall it is "extremely" comfortable and livable. I say that with the caveat - you are buying virtually a race car, so don't expect a Bentley air suspension.

My lovely wife enjoys the ride as well, she didn't find it bad at all.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it weren't for weather, theft and parking concerns my gen 3 would be DD-able... Ride quality is a personal threshold thing. (I know you're shopping so wanted to call that one out)

I'm curious to hear if a more compliant GTS is actually a little faster for practical use - if the car is less upset by lousy pavement, potholes etc..

I have a relative with a gen IV that he took me for a ride in. I would not call that car DD-able by my definition lol. Maybe the gen 3 was softer? But yea ride quality definitely is a personal threshold thing that's why I was saying those who drove past ones to see what they think about the new ones. Or even there is someone on here who has a 2013 gt500 and a viper, he should probably comment on which one has the better ride since then that could be easily gauged without me actually having to get in the car myself on the road.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motion control suspensions (MCS) is a relatively new company, comprised of people from the Moton shock company. They have come up with a pretty good setup for vipers that combine better control with a better, more compliant ride. They offer several options but for Vipers they offer a single adjustable budget line that is wonderful on the street and for occasional track use. With these shocks it is easy to lower your Viper and also counterbalance it for better, more consistant handling.

They also offer a top of the line double adjustable shock that the track guys really like. These have remote mounted fluid and pressure resevoirs that keep foaming down in extreme conditions.

Mark at Woodhouse seem to have a good handle on these, and I believe was instrumental in getting them produced for Vipers. They are sponsors of this sight, and would be a good source for more information.

I took KW Variant 2 shocks off my 09 and replace them with the standard MCS shocks. They are better in every regard.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this is my first viper and i have a GTS that is a daily driver and it rides perfect. smooth and easy in street mode and a noticeable difference in race mode that i use on occasion. it's not too low like my old ZR1 which scrapped everything and i know lots of people think it sits to high but mine has seemed to settle in and looks a little lower than when i first got it . This is not the comparison the OP asked for but IMHO the GTS is a true daily driver bad ass sports car!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I found my Gen IV to have a rather comfortable ride. Like SlateEd said, parking and clearance are more of a concern to me when taking the car out. I avoid rain in it but if I do get caught in it, it does a lot better than my Gen I and II ever did. If a viper rode like a Rolls Royce, I imagine it would take some of the fun out of it.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is my first viper and i have a GTS that is a daily driver and it rides perfect. smooth and easy in street mode and a noticeable difference in race mode that i use on occasion. it's not too low like my old ZR1 which scrapped everything and i know lots of people think it sits to high but mine has seemed to settle in and looks a little lower than when i first got it . This is not the comparison the OP asked for but IMHO the GTS is a true daily driver bad ass sports car!

When you say it rides smooth, what does it ride smoother than? What is smoother than it? And within reason, which means don't say oh yea a bentley,lexus, or rollys rides better than the viper. For instance does it ride smoother or as smooth as the zr1? Is it not as smooth as a m3 or a 911?

VIPER Magazine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had the opportunity to drive a few different Gen 5's for our Nov/Dec review. Having driven every generation, including the Gen 3's and 4's extensively, we felt the GTS had a more compliant ride than both on the "street" setting. The "race" setting was noticeably rougher than any stock Viper before it. The SRT model seemed to hit in between, more towards "street" than "race". Both are great drives of course, with the GTS being the better car for long road trips.

No matter what Viper you drive, there is no such thing as a bad one!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you say it rides smooth, what does it ride smoother than? What is smoother than it? And within reason, which means don't say oh yea a bentley,lexus, or rollys rides better than the viper. For instance does it ride smoother or as smooth as the zr1? Is it not as smooth as a m3 or a 911?

Am I crazy for thinking that a viper rides better than a 911? I drive them back to back all the time.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I crazy for thinking that a viper rides better than a 911? I drive them back to back all the time.

If other people agree with this statement I will have zero problem then buying this car without a test drive. Because when I drove the 911 4S I barely felt anything. And any bumps that were there had no hard impact what so ever.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than describe a Vipers ride as harsh, noisy or uncomfortable, most of us with lots of miles on them call it a connected ride. The steering is smooth and controlled, but also communicates with the driver as to the condition of the road and the amount of grip available.

The stock ride is in no way harsh, but pretty compliant. Lots of owners have taken many thousands of mile trips with no complaints.

Remember that the Viper suspension is also configured to remain in control at 200 mph top speeds. This can make them feel a bit muscle bound in city traffic. You can tell they have large tires, and resulting wide turning radius. They are different than driving a Taurus, but so much more fulfilling.

They are not to be feared, but embraced for what their capabilities are.

Mini vans ride smoother and are easier to get in and out of, but few feel their hearts beat faster when thinking of taking a mini van out for a ride.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my '06 coupe was new, it had a pretty awful and jarring ride with the factory run-flat tires. That car improved a tiny bit once I got rid of the run-flats and went to the Nitto Invo tires. But, even then, the ride quality wasn't that good. My wife didn't like riding in that car, still doesn't.

So, that is my basis of comparison vs my '13 SRT. The new Viper rides nice, but you do feel every bump. It isn't jarring like the '06 is. The car feels very planted, and stiff suspended. Like a street legal race car should feel. The steering gives you instant feedback on any imperfections or grooves in the road, that part feels exactly like my '06 does. The newer car is quieter inside, has less wind and road noise, and maybe even less transmission transmitted noise. It leans a lot further on the side of luxury than the previous gen Vipers.

Compared with my previous '09 Z06, the Viper suspension is stiffer. The Corvette feels very flimsy and sort of cheap compared to the Viper chassis. I could feel my Corvette twist when entering steep parking lot entrances, and the roof would make noises caused by motion between panels. The Viper stays nearly flat going into those same lots, most likely with at least 1 wheel hanging in the air momentarily. It really is that stiff. My '06 used to feel very stiff to me, this new car is even more stiff. I believe they quote 40% stiffer torsion than the previous gens?

Yes, the Gen 5 could be daily driven on normal surfaced roads. If I lived somewhere with potholes and bumpy highways, probably not. Here in TX we do have relatively nice flat and straight highways. I drove my '13 across this country 3 times now, and have no complaints about doing road trips in it. We took breaks every 1.5 to 2 hrs just to get out and stretch. Car is pretty comfy out on the open highway with cruise control set.

As for the wife, she loves driving the '13. No complaints from her so far. She drives it to work at least once a week, about 45 miles round trip. I drive it once a week at 100 miles round trip.

Tony

OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I did send you a pm noting I got the brochure and thanking you for it. I sincerely appreciated your kindness in giving it and I did not ignore your gift

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my '06 coupe was new, it had a pretty awful and jarring ride with the factory run-flat tires. That car improved a tiny bit once I got rid of the run-flats and went to the Nitto Invo tires. But, even then, the ride quality wasn't that good. My wife didn't like riding in that car, still doesn't.

So, that is my basis of comparison vs my '13 SRT. The new Viper rides nice, but you do feel every bump. It isn't jarring like the '06 is. The car feels very planted, and stiff suspended. Like a street legal race car should feel. The steering gives you instant feedback on any imperfections or grooves in the road, that part feels exactly like my '06 does. The newer car is quieter inside, has less wind and road noise, and maybe even less transmission transmitted noise. It leans a lot further on the side of luxury than the previous gen Vipers.

Compared with my previous '09 Z06, the Viper suspension is stiffer. The Corvette feels very flimsy and sort of cheap compared to the Viper chassis. I could feel my Corvette twist when entering steep parking lot entrances, and the roof would make noises caused by motion between panels. The Viper stays nearly flat going into those same lots, most likely with at least 1 wheel hanging in the air momentarily. It really is that stiff. My '06 used to feel very stiff to me, this new car is even more stiff. I believe they quote 40% stiffer torsion than the previous gens?

Yes, the Gen 5 could be daily driven on normal surfaced roads. If I lived somewhere with potholes and bumpy highways, probably not. Here in TX we do have relatively nice flat and straight highways. I drove my '13 across this country 3 times now, and have no complaints about doing road trips in it. We took breaks every 1.5 to 2 hrs just to get out and stretch. Car is pretty comfy out on the open highway with cruise control set.

As for the wife, she loves driving the '13. No complaints from her so far. She drives it to work at least once a week, about 45 miles round trip. I drive it once a week at 100 miles round trip.

Tony

Does the zo6 have the MR suspension or is it one without it?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the zo6 have the MR suspension or is it one without it?

My Z06 just had the standard transverse leaf spring factory suspension with non-adjustable shocks. The ZR1 has the mag-ride shocks. I've not found much difference between the ZR1 and Z06 ride quality, both are pretty smooth cars.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the Bentley comment...I actually think the quality of the GTS model's interior is very similar to the Bentley I had...obviously a tighter cockpit and more of a race car but comfort and quality was quite close....seriously.