So I pulled the cats and my car now sounds like crap, what should I do

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
is that good or bad (in reference to no popping on deceleration)

I have Belanger headers, modified cats (cut in half) and a Borla catback.

My car burbles during deceleration. I don't use the word 'popping' to describe it, as that implies a sharper sound.

It's a deep gurgling sound; a burble. And I *love* it. I wouldn't want soundless deceleration.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car burbles during deceleration. I don't use the word 'popping' to describe it, as that implies a sharper sound.

It's a deep gurgling sound; a burble. And I *love* it. I wouldn't want soundless deceleration.

Thats how I would describe mine now. The noise on decel with my old "straight pipe" setup, is 1 of the main reasons I changed it. It sounded like pure crap. It was SOOOO loud and crazy, I'm sure some people thought a gang turf war was breaking out beside them in traffic when I would slow down. The other reason I changed my setup was the noise it made when I would shift gears. It was like an extremely loud version of someone running their fingernails across a chalk board. FWIW, most of my friends/family agreed with me. Straightpipe is great if you want to be obnoxiously loud, but you'll prob grow tired of it pretty quick. I would've changed my exhaust a long time ago, but kept putting it off due to different reasons. I'm VERY glad I changed it a week ago

I'll try to get a soundclip this weekend, but with rain in the forecast for all weekend, that may not happen.

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the Thunderbolt cats. Just in from the Company President:

"I am glad that you like our product, we only make this under our brand name Thunderbolt. Regarding the other competitors we were actually the first to offer this converter in the US aftermarket and as we gained market share Magnaflow decided to follow. I believe we produce more of these converters than all of our competition combined.
Check our website Canammex || Home all of our products are available from Topline Exhaust in Tampa."

So I guess its ultimately the consumer-marketplace that ultimately decides the value/quality of a product...unless the Gov't decides to bail them out.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ellow, are you saying you run/ran a 10lb roe thru a 2 1/2" exhaust ?

darkostoj, you talk about going s/c'd or TT in the future, plan mods now for those power upgrades. most people would agree a 3" exhaust is much better for boosted cars.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. I have the 3" Cats...but to hook it into the Corsa I had to use a simple 3"-2.5" reducer since I have the Corsa that uses the 2.5" connector at the front of the resonator...3" Corsa the rest of the way back. I didn't feel like hacking up my Corsa although taking off the 2.5" reducer at the front of the Corsa is really no big deal...just prefer to leave it the way it came in case I sell it (doubtful) to some one that still has the stock cats. Stock cats simply slide into the snout of the Corsa w/the 2.5" inlet connector. I suppose most folks simply cut that 2.5" inlet off the Corsa when they add headers and 3" cats. Probably someday.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mine too and me too, i was just wondering if it hurts anything, b/c if i back off after a short hard accell, it will pop 1x or 2x then burble

i call it making the viper sing :2tu:

I'll try to get a soundclip this weekend, but with rain in the forecast for all weekend, that may not happen.

looking fwd to the sound clip

:drive:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished removing mine. OEM manifold, cat delete and 3 inch corsa. I don't like the sound but I don't hate it. Will be trying out high flows soon and possibly switching to a full belanger exhaust.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like those Thunderbolt cats are rated for 5.9L engines. :dunno: Could be a restriction. Does anybody know what the CFM for these cats? For less than $40...I doubt any Platinum catalyst is being used.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ebay cats... They sell more than all the others combined... Well go figure. At 10% of the cost of the others, is that rocket science? Does that include a statistical statement of product quality based on real life data and testing in there too? Um...

Anyway, I'm sure they're a great product. Have any of the users stuck a flashlight up in there to see if they still have the guts in 'em?

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i might go get a dyno tomorrow cat-less, going to the track wednesday cat-less. I can see what kind of difference I get between the ebay high flow cats and no cats at all on the dyno and at the strip

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno..I pulled them last month and they were sill like "new" inside from an eyeball perspective. Hadn't blown out or anything. For what its worth, I had left my 02 sims in from when I was running catless so I don't really know if the Thunderbolts are actually working...but they sure make the car sound nice....and I don't have the exhaust smell like when running catless so I believe they are doing something of value for the environment. No smog checks here in Tampa to worry about. Again, these were recommended as a method to deal with excessive noise and not from an emissions/smog test perspective.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems that if you guy want a good sounding Corsa system you need to buy the "track" exhuast and not the other style. My gen 2 always receives compliments whereever I go. No cats restricting the exhaust. No patchwork or mismatched components. Headers, 3" TO Corsa track exhaust.

YouTube - RTTTTed

Dyno tested and perfected by Corsa.