So I Went to Get My New Tires Mounted This Morning and it Just Goes to Show...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really have to check things out. I had my local guy order me a set of the 18" BFG KDWs as part of a package deal with a new set of BFGs for the wife's car and some mounting of ATV tires I need done. He knocked $100 off the total and there is a $60 rebate until 9/23 on both sets of BFGs.

Anyway... When I called in the order I specifically stated that I wanted the Born on Dates checked. So I go over there and he said he didn't have a chance to check. We go in the storage area and the tires look great but the fronts were born on 3/10 and the rears were 08/08. The wife's tires were all 08/10.

He's a great guy and wasn't trying to pull anything on me. He said he would get me another set but I could lose the rebate because it expires. I suppose I could just pay in advance to preserve the rebate but I was thinking that maybe Goodrich will offer me a discount to take the 25 month old tires.

Worth considering ?

BTW...If any of you local NY/NJ guys are interested I may run over to the Whiskey Cafe later on.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about 25 month old tires. If they were 5-6 years, that might be a concern, but not just 2 years.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try contacting Viper Parts of America? Their prices were the cheapest I found anywhere, the tires were brand new (manufacturing dates of less than 3 months old) and they shipped out immediately.

Might want to give VPA a shot.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that the tires have a coating that keeps them fresh until the coating wears off.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the tires have a coating that keeps them fresh until the coating wears off.

Ted

JonB has posted about the coating a number of times, it seems to help preserve the freshness of the rubber, I'm told. I'm *guessing* that if the rears are new, unused, 2-year old stock than the coating should be intact and the tires are fine. Obviously storage is a factor too. Maybe JonB can chime in? Heck, just wear them down/shred them this weekend and then show up Monday for the free replacements. :D

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the BFG guy says. The guy at the Tire shop sure didn't mention anything about a coating. He did say that he asked his distributor to send fresh tires. I never really thought about tire age until I bought a Viper.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not necessarily a coating per se...

Tire Safety: How Old Is Too Old? by Bob Martin

"The main focus of new research has been finding tire age inhibitors. Sulfur molecules are one such tire age inhibitor that is reactivated every time they are exposed to heat, making the rubber harder.

Nowadays, rubber in tires has oil in it that tends to migrate into the tires’ under tread/casing and evaporate into the air. In the process of this, the tire compound releases oil and gets harder. If you can’t quite visualize this, go into any tire store and take a big whiff. You’ll smell the oil there.

Before curing, most tires are coated with a mold release agent that is makes it easier to remove from their mold after curing. If it’s a little hard to visualize, think about spraying “Pam" on a fry pan before pouring on the batter for pancakes.

This increases the safety of tires because some of the mold release agent gets “cooked" onto the surface of the cured tire, which prevents all the oil from evaporating."

The Hidden Danger – New Old Tires | The Consumer Warning Network

"Before you buy that next set of tires be sure to check the last 4 digits of the DOT serial number, and to be safe right now check any tires you currently have in service on your vehicle. If they are more than 6 years old, replacement may be in order."

Heat cycles and sunlight are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to "premature aging" of tires, as it speeds up the evaporation of oils. If the tires were properly stored you should be more than fine.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is strange... I made that last post and then realized that I left my cell phone out in my Viper. I go into the garage and hear this really loud hissing. I put about 120 miles on the car today with my Ancient Michelins that were supposed to be replaced this morning. I was coming back on a long highway run with a 96 RT/10 and we were cat and mousing a bit and then came up on a GT500 so we got into it a bit. I was kinda shocked when I reset the max speed on GPS needless to say. So I was running the car pretty Good !

I check the pressure on the Driver's rear where the hissing is coming from and it's 7.5. I figure I'll throw a quick plug in it so I can air it up and not damage the rim on the lift ramp and so I can get it back to the tire shop next week. I air it up to 32 and now the hissing stopped. I rolled the car to make sure the leak wasn't on the bottom and no leak... Is it possible that the tire heated up and leaked and then cooled off and sealed. It almost sounded like the hiss was coming from the inside bead but now it's stopped.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This increases the safety of tires because some of the mold release agent gets “cooked" onto the surface of the cured tire, which prevents all the oil from evaporating."

Thanks for clarifying this for me Chris. :2tu:

- Tony

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB has posted about the coating a number of times, it seems to help preserve the freshness of the rubber, I'm told. I'm *guessing* that if the rears are new, unused, 2-year old stock than the coating should be intact and the tires are fine. Obviously storage is a factor too. Maybe JonB can chime in? Heck, just wear them down/shred them this weekend and then show up Monday for the free replacements. :D

Sorry, 3-day race weekend had me away..... the language provided explains the aging process well, and what I have explained is that NEVER USED tires that are properly stored wont degrade like thiose that have been driven even, say 25-miles. Breaking that "mold skin" alomng with the heat cycle allows the oxidation to begin much faster....

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, 3-day race weekend had me away..... the language provided explains the aging process well, and what I have explained is that NEVER USED tires that are properly stored wont degrade like thiose that have been driven even, say 25-miles. Breaking that "mold skin" alomng with the heat cycle allows the oxidation to begin much faster....

Thanks Jon

My other concern was that if I did put these tires on and decide to sell the car in a few years (not that I plan to at this point) but a knowlegeable buyer may have a problem with the age. I suppose if I kept the receipt that wouldn't be a problem.

BTW

My back tire did leak out again albeit very slowly this time.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies here, but you might call the tire manufacturer and find out the latest production cycle for those tires.

I know for a fact that Michelin has gaps lasting a year or so between runs of some tire sizes. So 25 month old tires might be about the best you can do right now....

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies here, but you might call the tire manufacturer and find out the latest production cycle for those tires.

I know for a fact that Michelin has gaps lasting a year or so between runs of some tire sizes. So 25 month old tires might be about the best you can do right now....

Second that...sometimes that is the price of exclusive tires (but not limited to).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished a TPMS instal for my GTS. The Hela guage shows tire pressure and temperature and indicates which tire is being 'read'. Only a couple hundred bucks. The Tire Pressure Monitor System also changes colors warning of tire pressure problems and will also sound an alert if the air is leaking quickly.

With 30 series tires I'd never realize I had a flat tire until I'd driven it into junk ... unless it went flat while being parked. Since that's happened to me before I check my tire pressure all the time now. It's a lot of work and the TPMS is a lot more reliable. I expect that even if this doesn't save me a $600 tire it will eventually save me the time worth $200. I recommend this product to all Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars! :)

Ted

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW

My back tire did leak out again albeit very slowly this time.

Your old Michelins, right? Did the shop break the bead to put the BFG's on and then reseat it when you didn't want the BFG's? If there's nothing (nail, etc) in the tread, it's probably the valve stem/valve core, or the bead area? Spray with some soapy water and see where the bubbles are.
-chip

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a TPMS instal for my GTS. The Hela guage shows tire pressure and temperature and indicates which tire is being 'read'. Only a couple hundred bucks. The Tire Pressure Monitor System also changes colors warning of tire pressure problems and will also sound an alert if the air is leaking quickly.

With 30 series tires I'd never realize I had a flat tire until I'd driven it into junk ... unless it went flat while being parked. Since that's happened to me before I check my tire pressure all the time now. It's a lot of work and the TPMS is a lot more reliable. I expect that even if this doesn't save me a $600 tire it will eventually save me the time worth $200. I recommend this product to all Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars! :)

Ted

That's a great ideas... I already spend a lot of time and I mean a lot of time checking the pressure in my ATV tires because I wind up plugging a tire every other ride on average. I'd rather not have to do that with the Viper. Can you send a link of what you bought.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

Ted, do you have a link handy for this bit o' tech?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice and it's a great idea. Any particular reason you didn't paint the mounting 2 by 4 to match the walls? :omg:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just put the tires on and go. they don't last but a couple of months anyway. if they last longer than that, you're not driving the car enough for the 'age of the tire' to matter.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well when I win the second prize in this year's VCA raffle, I hope Tire Rack sends the freshest set of tires they have.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your tires are as old as this thread, then you may have a problem. Well, not really, but who digs up a 2 year old thread anyways? :crazy2:

Sorry bird!! ;)