So With 600HP In The 2008s, What The Heck Will A Supercharger Produce?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wicked, why do you think the TT will be much better than the s/c? You will still have power loss due to heat w/ a TT after a few runs, and you will still have traction problems. You simply have a more linear power delivery and more overall power. But I am not sure how that helps your strip times. Like I mentioned before, the 1000 hp Vipers tested in the mags are still running high 11s in the 1/4 mile due to traction problems.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
blackmamba1,

"Like I mentioned before, the 1000 hp Vipers tested in the mags are still running high 11's in the 1/4 mile due to traction problems."

The 1000 hp Vipers tested in magazines were not set up for the drags.

As I mentioned before, set them up for the drags and stand back, your lower hp N/A cars will be blown into the weeds in a 1/4 mile contest and much much more in a longer contest.

Dan:usa:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blackmamba1,

"Like I mentioned before, the 1000 hp Vipers tested in the mags are still running high 11's in the 1/4 mile due to traction problems."

The 1000 hp Vipers tested in magazines were not set up for the drags.

As I mentioned before, set them up for the drags and stand back, your lower hp N/A cars will be blown into the weeds in a 1/4 mile contest and much much more in a longer contest.

Dan:usa:
ok, so
1. how do you set up a 1000 hp Viper for drag?
and 2. how does that setup affect overall road racing?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the point is whether you drag race or road race you adjust the car accordingly - Shock and spring adjustments, proper tires, air pressure, engine tuning etc. Just because it is set one way doesnt mean it cant be easily transformed for the other.

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, so
1. how do you set up a 1000 hp Viper for drag?
and 2. how does that setup affect overall road racing?

I would say that it's almost impossible to set a car up well for road racing AND just be able to roll over to the dragstrip for some high power drag racing. It will take a little time to retune the car for the particular type of racing that you will be doing. The good thing about turbos is that you can turn the boost up/down to give you the amount of power that you need, whether it be more or less. 6psi for 600rwhp, 16psi + a little race gas for 1000+rwhp, all at the touch of a button. As mentioned above, you will have to adjust the suspension, tires, etc. accordingly depending on which one that you wanted to do, but that's all in a day's work for a true gearhead anyway...riiight? :D :drive:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that it's almost impossible to set a car up well for road racing AND just be able to roll over to the dragstrip for some high power drag racing. It will take a little time to retune the car for the particular type of racing that you will be doing. The good thing about turbos is that you can turn the boost up/down to give you the amount of power that you need, whether it be more or less. 6psi for 600rwhp, 16psi + a little race gas for 1000+rwhp, all at the touch of a button. As mentioned above, you will have to adjust the suspension, tires, etc. accordingly depending on which one that you wanted to do, but that's all in a day's work for a true gearhead anyway...riiight? :D :drive:
Now this sounds like its deff the way to go, if you can adjust the boost for the situation then you get the best of both worlds!

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now this sounds like its deff the way to go, if you can adjust the boost for the situation then you get the best of both worlds!

Yeees sir! That's one of the biggest perks of a turbo system. You can have it tuned safely for the highest boost that you'll ever use, then just turn the boost down from inside the car with a boost controller for the street or road racing. Then, when you hit the drag strip, mix in a little race gas and dial it back up. Switch to slicks, tune the suspension, and let it rip! :2tu:

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
You are getting the general idea. With some experience, time, parts and of course money, you can make your Viper do most anything well from running the standing mile to the quarter mile to a road course; just not all on the same set up. Having more power than you need is great, if you can control the way it's applied. Some Vipers make so much power that the right foot isn't always the best controller.

For example, the AEM allows you to "tune" your power level and power band with Turbos or with Superchargers by controlling boost levels as mentioned above.

You (or your tuner) will have to do the tuning with tires (drag or road race), suspension (soft with weight transfer or firm for the road) rear diff (locker or Quaife), trans (lower 5th and 6th gears), rear gear ratios (3.07 or 3.55), etc. for the way that you intend to use the car, but you can do it.

Dan

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While touring the DC HQ buiilding during the testing of the new engine we spoke with the engineers that were involved with the design and manufacturing of the new engine and 08 Viper. The question was asked what they thought about adding a supercharger being added to the 08 Viper. They said that would not be a good idea.

Thats just their opinion.....:D
I bet all the Corvette guys will say the same...:rolaugh:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are getting the general idea. With some experience, time, parts and of course money, you can make your Viper do most anything well from running the standing mile to the quarter mile to a road course; just not all on the same set up. Having more power than you need is great, if you can control the way it's applied. Some Vipers make so much power that the right foot isn't always the best controller.

For example, the AEM allows you to "tune" your power level and power band with Turbos or with Superchargers by controlling boost levels as mentioned above.

You (or your tuner) will have to do the tuning with tires (drag or road race), suspension (soft with weight transfer or firm for the road) rear diff (locker or Quaife), trans (lower 5th and 6th gears), rear gear ratios (3.07 or 3.55), etc. for the way that you intend to use the car, but you can do it.

Dan
Are you saying you can manually control boost for superchargers as well as turbochargers while you are in the car driving by simply turning a boost dial or something? What do you mean by "the AEM" allows .....??

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
bm1

1 - "How do you set up a 1000 hp Viper for drag racing?" ..... read my post #26 on page 2 of this thread. This will give you some ideas on how I set my car up for the street. Drag racers go much further.

2 - Yes, the AEM can be set up to control boost (TT or Paxton) using different parameters as someone mentions in an earlier post.

Dan

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bm1

1 - "How do you set up a 1000 hp Viper for drag racing?" ..... read my post #26 on page 2 of this thread. This will give you some ideas on how I set my car up for the street. Drag racers go much further.

2 - Yes, the AEM can be set up to control boost (TT or Paxton) using different parameters as someone mentions in an earlier post.

Dan
I apologize if I am sounding redundant in my questioning, but what I am asking is this: Are you saying I can have a 900 hp Paxton s/c or TT setup, and have a knob or dial in my car that I can simply turn while driving the car and that dial will control whether I have 600 rwhp or 800 rwhp? So, if I am racing from a standing start, I can turn this dial to 600 rwhp for better traction, then when I get up to say 100 mph I can turn the dial to give me 800 rwhp for maximum acceleration? Is something like this available for both Paxtons and TT setups?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
bm1,

There is no "dial" that you can turn. Believe me, you won't have any time to be turning dials while you're accelerating in one of these cars. You can program the AEM via lap top to control boost in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. and increase boost as you go. For example, you may want to run 6 psi of boost in 1st gear, 8-10 psi in 2nd gear, 10 to 12 psi in 3rd and 16 psi in 4th. The AEM can be set up to control the "blow off valves" for the TT or Paxton cars using speed or other parameters.

Dan

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bm1,

There is no "dial" that you can turn. Believe me, you won't have any time to be turning dials while you're accelerating in one of these cars. You can program the AEM via lap top to control boost in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. and increase boost as you go. For example, you may want to run 6 psi of boost in 1st gear, 8-10 psi in 2nd gear, 10 to 12 psi in 3rd and 16 psi in 4th. The AEM can be set up to control the "blow off valves" for the TT or Paxton cars using speed or other parameters.

Dan[/quote

Ohh, I see. That is not too bad I guess.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find almost every time I race its on the highway doing 70 plus and the more RWHP the better, and traction is not an issue. Thats when a TT really shines...I have 680 S/Cd RWHP and thats enough for me...Al