Solutions for Rear Tires Rubbing Fenders?

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally put the Eibach lowering springs on my 02 RT10 with low profile "25" series tires (PRosso 355/25-19s) and had no fender rub with my 19" CCW wheels. The CCWs have additional outboard displacement.

The "25" series tires are no longer made and I had to go with a "30" series (345/30-19), which increase the radial height about 0.7", and now the tires are rubbing the fender.

My problem is solving this issue without having to spend $5-6k for coilovers with adjustable compression and rebound. I don't track or race the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly have the inside of the wheel hub machined down to bring the wheel into the car farther? That is usually a very thick heavy area of the wheel. Obviously you can't take too much off as that would weaken the wheel. Dont know how much it it rubbing, but 1/8 to 3/16 might be just enough.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you shave a few millimetres from the rear fender lip radius to clear the tyre when the suspension bottoms? Nobody would notice the lip reduction.

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Machining the wheel is something I have not thought of, but I like the additional offset and the wider appearance, plus I think I would have to take quite a bit off. Also, it has been suggested to trim the inside edge of the fender, but I don't think I want to do that either because I don't know how it would affect the fender strength or how much would ultimately have to come off. It is hitting on the sharp edge of the fender where the fender meets the wheel well housing.

I'm wondering if I can order custom springs from Eibach that would be in the range of 900 to 1200 lbs., and that would raise the car about 1/2 inch over the existing Eibach springs? I understand that the stock shocks are pretty stiff.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert Dyck:3249546 said:
I'm wondering if I can order custom springs from Eibach that would be in the range of 900 to 1200 lbs., and that would raise the car about 1/2 inch over the existing Eibach springs? I understand that the stock shocks are pretty stiff.

FYI the stock rear springs are 450# and the stock dampers are quite weak. Well IMO too little low speed dampening and too much high speed dampening...
1200# springs on the stock dampers would be a nightmare.
Version 2 of the ACR came with 1100# springs which proved to be way to much spring for anything but a track car with a wing making serious downforce. Many owners switched out to 800# ones which also happens to be the same used in the sweetest coilover setup made for viper; MCS.

There are 3 much better options that I can think of and will post when I get a min.

Stugots879

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it hitting only what you get on it? If so, have you cranked up your factory dampeners?

Coming from the lowbrow Mustang world...folks would roll the inner fenders to avoid this. I have never had to do it, since Saleen did this mod at their factory on the ones I've owned. Not sure if a highly skilled body shop could complete this task on a Viper.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had this rubbing issue on my 09 when I changed from Nitto to 20" Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have the MCS standard shocks, and just needed to spin them a couple turns to adjust away the rubbing. They come with 800# springs, and ride and handle so much better than the stocks.

Cost is around $3,000 and installation is much easier than those with the remote reservoirs. With these you can dial in the absolute lowest possible stance while eliminating tire rubbing. If you want to set your car just a bit lower, you can increase the dampening firmness with a knob, and have a lower ride height, however this comes at the cost of that smooth MCS ride.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stugots879:3249570 said:
Is it hitting only what you get on it? If so, have you cranked up your factory dampeners?

The factory koni adjustment is for rebound only. If anything this would make rubbing worse as the susp/wheel would be slower to decompress allowing another bump to push it further into the wheelwell.

Stugots879:3249570 said:
Coming from the lowbrow Mustang world...folks would roll the inner fenders to avoid this. I have never had to do it, since Saleen did this mod at their factory on the ones I've owned. Not sure if a highly skilled body shop could complete this task on a Viper.

Um yea... Try rolling a fiberglass fender and let us know how that works out for you. SMH

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Hawker;3249573 you can increase the dampening firmness with a knob said:
I think I need to have adjustment for compression, and I don't think the standard MCS has that, only rebound? Most of my problems come from hitting dips at high speed.

Reaction score
I think I need to have adjustment for compression, and I don't think the standard MCS has that, only rebound? Most of my problems come from hitting dips at high speed.

Robert, I may be able to get you a "custom" valved (stiffer compression dampening MCS single if you are willing to wait for it and deal with any change in ride quality although only slight from my 2 way experience. We talked about the singles, but I may be able to do this as a custom order if you choose.

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Mark for the support. That sounds like a workable option. I will speak to Mark Leslie about it. Let me know about price and delivery. Thanks again.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far I have no rubbing issues running the SRT Venom wheels on my GEN-II GTS with the 355/30/19 Pirelli's on Eibach springs. And I kept the big brake kit spacers on the hubs which would effectively make the situation worse. But I haven't done much off-roading with the car either...

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far I have no rubbing issues running the SRT Venom wheels on my GEN-II GTS with the 355/30/19 Pirelli's on Eibach springs. And I kept the big brake kit spacers on the hubs which would effectively make the situation worse. But I haven't done much off-roading with the car either...

Yours are 19's...OP's are 20's

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys READ much! Quote" The "25" series tires are no longer made and I had to go with a "30" series (345/30-19), which increase the radial height about 0.7", and now the tires are rubbing the fender." Unquote. He's rubbing with 345/30/19s…since he can't get 25s. Duh…. My 355/30/19s with eibach springs are just fine. And yes…I have 18s on the freaking fronts (295/30/18) and 19's on the freaking rears. NO RUBBING PROBLEMS. No where did the OP say he was running 20s...

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys READ much! Quote" The "25" series tires are no longer made and I had to go with a "30" series (345/30-19), which increase the radial height about 0.7", and now the tires are rubbing the fender." Unquote. He's rubbing with 345/30/19s…since he can't get 25s. Duh…. My 355/30/19s with eibach springs are just fine. And yes…I have 18s on the freaking fronts (295/30/18) and 19's on the freaking rears. NO RUBBING PROBLEMS. No where did the OP say he was running 20s...

Hey buddy, take a chill pill man....its ok....don't worry...everything is going to be ok. We got carried on and missed the point. Are you going to be ok with it?...lmao.

Chicken Little Chicken Little, the sky is falling the sky is falling !!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that know me. I don't needlessly waste time on these boards. Too busy. I just prefer to deal with facts and more than able to assist most with about ANY GEN-II problem. Chill'in isn't a problem. But I get your comment after re-reading my post from last night.LOL. Bee happy. No worries. Nothing's 'rubbing' me.

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EllowViper...thanks...the car is in the shop up in the air right now. I will probably go with Motons or Penskes and be done with it. I've got so much $ in this car...what's another $4k :smirk: That way the suspension will be at the level of the engine and brakes.