Somebody wanted a piece of the Viper tonight and ....

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I ignored him. Yes, I was tempted. Especially when the late model Trans Am pulled up beside me several times with the traditional "give me some of that" rev from his V-8 (or was it a V-6? :D ). Resisting the temptation to hand him his @ss, I simply smiled and looked forward. He tried a few more times to engage the ol'Viper but I kept my cool. Eventually, he floored it and disappeared (in somewhat unimpressive fashion) over the horizon. Anyone else receive a "challange" lately?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I were more mature when some ricer comes up next to me at the light and asks for a race. I know I can beat him so why do I think I have to prove it?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't grant rice a show of the Viper's speed. Their car just doesn't warrant a display from the Viper, not due to price, but performance. But I don't mind going at it with Porsches, Ferraris, et al. Maybe I will win, maybe I won't. But at least its a more level playing field. Had a Mercedes E55 give me a good run recently!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I ignored him. Yes, I was tempted.
WUSS! Especially since it was muscle not rice. I've had my car a month and was salivating when I noticed a new Mustang Cobra was next to me in a safe place. Unfortunately, he and his girl turned off and I lost my first kill.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I ignored him. Yes, I was tempted. Especially when the late model Trans Am pulled up beside me several times with the traditional "give me some of that" rev from his V-8 (or was it a V-6? :D ). Resisting the temptation to hand him his @ss, I simply smiled and looked forward. He tried a few more times to engage the ol'Viper but I kept my cool. Eventually, he floored it and disappeared (in somewhat unimpressive fashion) over the horizon. Anyone else receive a "challange" lately?
Yeah, but, if it were a LATE model T/A....you gotta love the 'heart' there...

Sorry, just remembering HS days....a friend of mine had a '76 Trans Am, 455 4 speed....was a fun car back in the day...and if I could get one and restore it for classic old times sake....well, you know.

On the good side. Almost got finances together, and ready to sell the 930, and get a late model 'snake'.

Can't wait to get my own official VCA #!!!

cayenne :headbang:

MelloYellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600rwhp Supercharged Vette sleeper here with a Vortech S-Trim SQ quiet blower.
Hope I can get Vipers and Porsche Turbos to run. All that's left at this level is playing with bikes mostly.

Many of the Gen 4 TA/Camaros have Corvette engines and can be turbo/sc/nitrous or 7.0L super strokers.

Fangdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said in an earlier post that very few people read, I totally destroyed a 911 turbo about three weeks ago on the E-W expressway. It was an older one though, the one they call the "droop snoop" with pop-up headlights. Still, I thought it would be faster than that. I bet the T/A would have put up a better fight!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happily accept challanges from ricers to 4WD pickups...

One of the best ones I had in TX was a big 350 Diesel dually, he was VERY eager to run against me, so we did.
I won with about 8 football fields and at the next traffic light there were about 8 arms giving me thumbs up, including whizzles and screams! The just wanted to see it run.
And so did I when I could not afford a Viper... I used to stand next to a Viper at parking lot, just to talk to the owner and see/hear the motor.

Ricers are people too, most of them are kids, who want to see some acceleration, since the fartcan and big Honda wing just wount do it. I have even taken them out for a spin. Most of them seem to be quite impressed and this was before the nitrous...

Bikes are fun after the NX!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEW OWNER HERE ONLY 400 MILES ON CAR HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY HAVE

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night while going for a drive down the strip a Black 68 Camaro pulled up and wanted some but I could hear his underhook blower and his big cam. No room to race him, but dont know if I wanted too lol. Man, why dont I get the ricers???

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I've had 4 challenges in 3 days :laugh:

The first was a Mustang GT 5.0 with at minimum exhaust work done. ******* pulls up next to me in rush hour traffic during a torrential downpour and starts revving his engine. Traffic is flowing at say 5 MPH and there is not a clear lane in sight. I really have no idea what this idiot wanted to run. Fastest half-car length? If I would have jammed it, my engine would have been in the backseat of the minivan in front of me. So after a few engine revs for about 2 blocks, he turned off.

Yesterday was a different story :cool:

We FINALLY got a break in the horrible weather we've been having down in SoFla, so I popped the top off and drove from Homestead to Weston, about a 60 mile drive. Weather was relatively cool, skies were relatively clear and the roads were uncongested. Had a fresh coat of wax on the snake and it was sparkling.

The first car to pull up was a late model Trans-Am/Firebird. He sort of creeped up next to me as opposed to screaming up behind me. I'm not even sure he wanted to race. He revs the engine and pulls maybe half a car length in front. That was all I needed. I-75, clear skies and open lanes. Downshifted to 4th and he was 10 cars back in a few seconds.

Not 3 minutes later, a Mitsubishi turbo something (Eclipse maybe?) comes flying up in the lane next to me. When he gets close he starts to slow down so I know what's coming. I didn't even give him the chance to line up. Down to 4th and he was gone. My exit was rapidly coming up so I had to scoot over quickly and get off.

I pull off on Griffin road just as a black Z06 heading west merges next to me. We both punch it and take the short run down to Weston Blvd - maybe 1/4 or 1/3 mile. Beat him by about 2 car lengths. Nice guy, though. Smiles and thumbs up at the stoplight.

Got my first 3 kills back to back to back. All this happened in a 10-minute time span :laugh:

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Downshift into 4th."

You have gears or were you just going that fast?

Maybe this is a n00b question, but while cruising at 65, if someone wants to go, should I downshift into 2nd or 3rd with stock gears? 2nd gives me only about 1,000 rpm's to play with.

Opinions?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
ya did the right thing.. was this during the evening/night?
i used to tell my wife .. the vampires come out at night.
everyone from the minivan to the corvettes wanted to go...
and it would just be a nightmare if something goes wrong...
so, i would just smile and sometimes laugh a bit.

once, on open thruway a kid in a 4 door ****** went at with me i thought his engine would come up thru his hood.
LOL...

You dont want to go home knowing a bit of fun hurt someone....
Just be safe.. nothing else really matters.

:)

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"You have gears or were you just going that fast?"

Was already at highway speeds, 75 - 80 MPH. And for those cars, I didn't need more than 4th ;)

For the Z06 I started in 2nd as I was getting off an exit ramp and was only going about 20 MPH when we started.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just tell them I won't race for anything less than $1000.
Usually shuts 'em up. By the way, those late model TA's do sound good.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good story Gary, happens all of the time to me. I don't even post my kills anymore, this is a tough crowd on this board and some people have a hard time accepting the fact that a gen1 Viper can beat a lot, if not most, cars out there including bikes. But for the most part, I don't waste my time on cars I feel wouldn't give me a good run. :D

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geez, run him. There is no guarantee you will win. You probably would have had the same thought if my old ram air trans am pulled up next to you. I would have thought you were chicken-**** for not going too. Although it would not have mattered b/c you would have lost. You never know and these days there are plently of sleepers for the race crowd. Don't be arrogant, just run em and enjoy your kills. You'll NEVER know unless you do. I'll never forget the look of a black GTS owner in Bartlett, who looked down on my ram air. He got into it lazy at the light and I dropped it at 3K and blew his doors off up to 120. He pulled over to ask about my car with a totally new attitude. Very cool after that. Now I am on the other side getting the thumbs up with my viper. However, having done the street thing, I know there are no guarantees! Run em if they are there.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love these threads. This one is timely too, as I ate some rice just last night. While entering the onramp to I-270 last night I barely noticed a moded ricer in front of me. He was kind of baiting me but I really didn't pay it much attention. I'm not even really sure what it was. Older Supra or RX7 I think, car was black, dark out. Anyway, he starts to slow a little and I pull up on his left side. As I pull up I start to notice that he has all kinds of extra gauges and crap all over the inside of the car, red racing seats, etc. So I start thinking maybe this could be interesting, maybe he has NOS? Anyway, at this point he's reving it and has obviously downshifted as I can hear his engine whining quite a bit. So I think what the hey. I down shift into third at about 65 mph and we go. I backed off as I shifted into 4th at about 110. Not sure how far back he was but it was a ways, maybe 8-10 car lengths.

I slowed to legal speed as he pulled up next to me. Gave me the thumbs up, I returned it and he was off. One other interesting note. As he pulled away he must of hit some kind of gizmo on his car and small flames shot out of his dual exhaust. That's right, dual exhaust on a ricer. Not sure what that was all about but looked pretty cool at night. I "assume" he had it rigged up to do that.

Lastly, got into the 50's here last night and very low humidity. Man does this car run better at those temps vs. 90 with high humidity. I could really feel the difference. I did a battery disconnect earlier in the day to reset the computer. I know that doesn't matter at WOT but the car felt much more lively than it has since my new exhaust was installed. I'm sure the weather was a factor as well.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600rwhp Supercharged Vette sleeper here with a Vortech S-Trim SQ quiet blower.
Hope I can get Vipers and Porsche Turbos to run. All that's left at this level is playing with bikes mostly.

Many of the Gen 4 TA/Camaros have Corvette engines and can be turbo/sc/nitrous or 7.0L super strokers.
I won't mess with Rice either--just NO Fun!

It's the SC Vettes like yours that I HOPE to run into!! :p Usually the Vette's just bury their heads and don't even wave, but it's the Modded Cobras & T/A that think they got my number! :rolleyes: Only number they get of mine are my PLATES! :headbang: Actually, that's not true. I don't have any numbers on my PLATES!! :p

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you need to ease up on the ego trips a bit...Not everyone that revs at you think they can beat you...Some people just want to see how badly they get beaten or just see your show of acceleration..After all its not everyday you see a Viper on the road.....When I had my Vette I used to have teenagers in their supped up Honda's etc reving me on the highway...Some of them were asses but most just wanted to see how bad I would whoop em...I usually didnt run em if they were too young looking...But when I did I didnt go too much over 100....No need to be a dick and act like your're too good for them if the person isnt being an ass....

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had nothing but positive experiences since purchasing my Viper almost a year ago. I had an encounter with a couple of young men in an 02-03 Trans Am about 2 weeks ago. They came up beside me and asked me to "get on it a little" for them. Of course I did not want to disappoint them. I stopped at the next light and they pulled up beside raving about the power and looks of the Viper. He said he knew it wouldn't be much of a race, but he said he wanted to see how close he could stay. He took off first and jumped out to about a car length head start and then I poured it on. By the time I shifted into third he was about 3 car lengths behind. I slowed up and we met up again at the next light. Again, both young men were very personable and we talked for a little bit. They complimented the Viper some more and we went our separate ways. I realize that most would not consider this a "kill", but it was not an attempt for a "kill" but rather a fulfilled request by two young men who wished to witness the power of the Viper.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you need to ease up on the ego trips a bit...Not everyone that revs at you think they can beat you...Some people just want to see how badly they get beaten or just see your show of acceleration..After all its not everyday you see a Viper on the road.....When I had my Vette I used to have teenagers in their supped up Honda's etc reving me on the highway...Some of them were asses but most just wanted to see how bad I would whoop em...I usually didnt run em if they were too young looking...But when I did I didnt go too much over 100....No need to be a dick and act like your're too good for them if the person isnt being an ass....

I agree! Most of them just just want to hear the engine and see the Viper GOOOO!!!! :D

And only 1 in 10 is a Ricer shmuck that is so often talked about.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sometimes guys just rev their engines as a way of saying "hi". One night, my son was driving his Mustang Cobra, and pulled up next to Kobe Bryant when he was in his custom Ferrari. My son revved his engine, just for fun. Kobe smiled, recognized it as an innocent gesture, and knew my son just wanted to hear the Ferrari wail. Kobe revved back, which made my son's day, to hear that sweet Ferrari engine scream. Matt waved at him, Kobe waved back friendly, and traffic moved ahead.

So be cool when someone revs at ya, it doesn't always mean they wanna race, sometimes they are just having fun.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out today on a great sunny afternoon in Atlanta. I was at a light and next to me pulls up a black Cadillac CTS and I did not even recognize him at all. When the light turned green, I pulled away with about 70% accelleration as I usually do when out for a drive. Next thing I know, this CTS flies past me totally unexpected and smokes me. I pulled up to him at the next light and noticed it was not just a CTS, but the new CTS-V (corvette engine). He gave me a laughing thumbs down and I read his lips as he said, "UB2SLOW"! This happens to be what my liscense plate says. I guess he thought I was racing the first time. Well needless to say, the game was now on! I dropped the hammer at the green and have never enjoyed beating someone so cockie. At the next light, he would not even look over at me because of his show at the last light, he was too embarrassed. I had to say it though..."No...UB2SLOW"! Watch out for those CTS-Vs, they are a real deal factory sleeper and are not slouches...but still not a Viper!

Rich
2001 RT10