Broken Halfshaft and the Horrors of Towing a Viper

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm sitting at home Friday night (the 9th) watching a movie when I hear the dreaded "get your ass to work" ring of my phone. One of my fantastically talented drivers locked his keys in his truck and I had to go bail him out. :curse: I figure I'll take the Viper to go get him so that I can count the mileage as business and get reimbursed by the company. :idea:

On the freeway doing 80 for about ten miles... Exit said freeway. Hit gas at stop light. BANG! Thump, Thump, Thump. :mad: I instantly knew what was broken as this has happened to me in other cars. Fortunately, I was about 20 feet from a driveway and pulled right in. Looked under the car and saw that the passenger side half shaft had completely split apart. :crazy2: Unreal...

I call my towing company (edited for time).

Me: I need to have a Viper towed.
Them: I'm sorry, what?
Me: A Dodge Viper.
Them: Oh, hang on. Let me make sure we can do that.
...On hold music...
Them: Yeah, we can do that, but we can't do it for your company rate due to the difficulty of the tow.
Me: Well, whatever, it's not like I can drive the car.
Them: Be there within the hour.

Then the phone call to my wife:

Me: I broke the Viper...
Her: Seriously?!?!?! I knew that was a bad purchase.
Me: :censored:
Her: :censored:
Me: Ok, I'll see you when you get here. :kiss:

Then the phone call to my Dispatcher:

Me: I broke my Viper...
Them: Well, the guy is waiting at the truck and by the way, it's still running.
Me: :censored:
Them: Ok, we'll see you when you get here.

So tow truck guy shows up. "Wow! I don't get to tow these that often." Yeah, probably not... Anyway, the real fun begins with trying to get this car on his roll-back. He gets it hooked up and starts pulling. All good so far. SCRAPE!!! :eek: You guessed it. Front facia paint all over the parking lot... He stops (thankfully). Short version is that it took the guy about an hour to get my car on the truck. Minimal scrapeage after that initial one. I actually appreciate the job he did. He was very careful after that initial scrape.

Get the car to the garage. Unload it. Push it in. Sit and wait until I can order parts Monday morning. Also wonder how I am going to get to work, as this is my daily driver. :confused:

Order parts Monday from Roe Racing. Bye-Bye economic stimulus check... Dave and Sean at Roe are awesome and very helpful. They assured me everything would be delivered by Wednesday morning. Everything showed up as promised. 2 Unitrax half shafts, 2 Unitrax safety loops, and a strap kit. :thankyou:

Install time! Jack the car up and all that stuff. Wrench to half shaft strap bolts. ***?!?!? :aargh: Half of the bolts that hold the straps on are no more than hand tight on the right side. :dunno: My guess is that was partly the cause of the failure. That and the excessive HP, sticky tires, and heavy right foot... Right side comes out easy. Likely because it was split in two. Getting the new half shaft in is quite the challenge. It's pretty straight forward, but the Unitrax shafts are slightly larger than the stock ones and barely fit through the coil over mount. Lots of wiggling and cajoling finally got it in. Left side was much more of the same.

Installing the safety loops was pretty straight forward as well. That is until you get to the left side. On the right side, there is plenty of room to move the mounting block to get the bolts in. With the fantastic suspension design, the left side does not offer you any space to move the mounting block to get the bolts in. :doh2: I'd remove the exhaust to do it, but at this point, it's 11:30 P.M. and I just want to get it done. Unfortunately, the bolts are too long to simply reverse them. So I had to dip into the supply of shop bolts to find one that was shorter, but long enough to still hold the block. Found one! Got everything installed and was out of the shop by 12:15 A.M. The job took about 5 hours from start to finish. Seems excessive to me, but this was my first shot at Viper half shafts.

Nothing like not driving the Viper for 5 days to make me appreciate the Viper that much more. :drive:

Everything seems good now. I will be bringing the car back into the shop this week to make sure everything stayed tight.

Lessons Learned:
Don't break your half shafts.
Avoid towing at all costs.
The economic stimulus checks are working. :money:
Check your half shaft straps every now and then to make sure they are tight.
Be thankful for the ******* that caused me to get called out on Friday night because I broke down 2 miles from the shop rather than the middle of nowhere. Furthermore, I would have been way more pissed if this happened while driving to work Monday morning.

If you have any questions about installing the shafts, I think I can help you out.

Thanks for reading! :kazoo:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
towed mine 3 times and i got lucky, each guy had done a few exotics before and carried some lumber to get it on without scraping...

sorry it happened to ya

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that was a great read. funny yet, very informative. keep posting. i need that on a monday morning!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
towed mine 3 times and i got lucky, each guy had done a few exotics before and carried some lumber to get it on without scraping...

sorry it happened to ya
Seems like it's part of the experience of owning a blown Viper. P.S. Hi Plum.

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. A blown Viper for a DD. Such suffering!

Glad you got it fixed though. Didn't sound like much collateral damage from the broken bits flailing around?

I know... It's terrible to have to drive it every day. With the temps soaring this week I do have some temp concerns. How well does that Roe facia kit you installed keep the temps down?

Fortunately I didn't hit the gas that hard when the light turned green, so I couldn't have been going more than 10 mph. There were some scrape marks on the coilover mount, but other than that there was no other damage.

94EmeraldGreen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story.
I had a similar situation a while back.
I twisted a half-shaft on mine at the drag strip. Stock power + headers & intake. Runs low 12's all day. Was trying to bust into the 11's w/ Semi-sticky road course tires. Launched harder and harder ever run, until nothing... thump thump thump.

$300 to tow it back to my house! $800 for new halfshafts!
Still worth every penny!

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story.
I had a similar situation a while back.
I twisted a half-shaft on mine at the drag strip. Stock power + headers & intake. Runs low 12's all day. Was trying to bust into the 11's w/ Semi-sticky road course tires. Launched harder and harder ever run, until nothing... thump thump thump.

$300 to tow it back to my house! $800 for new halfshafts!
Still worth every penny!

I think I got lucky. I only got stuck with a $65 tow bill. The car only had to go like three miles though.

What tires were you running?

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great story and a good lesson for all of us.....sorry for all the hassle, however, I'd rather learn by YOUR misfortune than mine......not to be smart about this, just honest!

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad things worked out for you, and now you have some gained knowledge on how to work on your car first hand. If at all possible when calling a tow company see if it's possible to hae the rep see if the arriving truck can acmodate a car such as the Viper to avoid any scraping or other damage.

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story and a good lesson for all of us.....sorry for all the hassle, however, I'd rather learn by YOUR misfortune than mine......not to be smart about this, just honest!

Bad situation, but I gotta agree with you. Learning from other people's pain/mistakes is waaaaaay better than having to go through it yourself.

Now if I could just fix my stereo issues, I would have the perfect car...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that on the towing and half shaft install. Do you have the 998 recall done? The driver side reinforcement made the half shaft install that much more difficult to manuever around. Imagine torquing down the shaft bolts in 30 deg weather laying on a cold concrete floor. Was not a fun experience and won't do it again...

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post. Sorry bout your mishap. Hey look at the bright side, at least you got a stimulus check! I believe I'm not getting one because of my income level :(

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. Sorry bout your mishap. Hey look at the bright side, at least you got a stimulus check! I believe I'm not getting one because of my income level :(

Thanks! I didn't know there was an income cut for those checks. Glad I got it, crappy way to spend it... :rolleyes:

Been there, done that on the towing and half shaft install. Do you have the 998 recall done? The driver side reinforcement made the half shaft install that much more difficult to manuever around. Imagine torquing down the shaft bolts in 30 deg weather laying on a cold concrete floor. Was not a fun experience and won't do it again...

Yes, the recall has been done. I agree on the difficulty factor raising due to the recall. Fortunately, I got to do mine in a somewhat climate controlled garage. And it was a nice 90 degree day... :) Glad I don't have to deal with those cold temps anymore.

94EmeraldGreen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got lucky. I only got stuck with a $65 tow bill. The car only had to go like three miles though.

What tires were you running?

Been a while, sorry don't log on much.

I had a set of Kumhos R compounds that I used for autocrossing.
I was planning to replace them soon for a set of hoosiers, so was not holding back in the burnout area. They are by no means drag radials, but they were hooking up well. I made about 4 passes, launching harder and harder each time.
Guess they hooked up REALLY well the last time!

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I feel for you :rolaugh: I'm getting one but I would rather not... next yr I won't qualify if they do it again :)

On another topic, Sweet Ride, how in the world do you drive your Viper every day? I couldn't do it, the car is awesome but the high gas costs + heavy clutch/lack of room would get old in a hurry on a daily basis.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other than my Stealth R/T TT, my sc'd Viper gets the best milage of our insured vehicles. Ford Escape V6, F150 5L, Viper and Stealth.

My 440 Duster gets 14mpg while the overpowered Viper gets 20mpg!

Ted

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where'd the tow truck driver hook onto your car at without the strap/chain damaging bodywork? Did the driver bring any ramps of any kind?

How'd he manage to do "Minimal scrapeage" after the first effort?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I feel for you :rolaugh: I'm getting one but I would rather not... next yr I won't qualify if they do it again :)

On another topic, Sweet Ride, how in the world do you drive your Viper every day? I couldn't do it, the car is awesome but the high gas costs + heavy clutch/lack of room would get old in a hurry on a daily basis.

Every day driving is easy! Open door, insert key, and drive away! ;)

It's actually a combination of factors...

Passion: I have wanted a Viper since I first saw a prototype at the 1991 Greater Milwaukee Auto Show. I remember it like it was yesterday. I finally have the means to get one and you never know how much time you have here, so I figure I will enjoy it since I have it.

Fuel: My 98 Mustang didn't get much better gas mileage. Even with the Supercharger, I get about 15 city and 22 highway. I spoke to a friend the other day and his 07 Pathfinder gets only slightly better milege than me. In the grand scheme, I think I'm pretty even on gas costs vs. other vehicles on the road. And if I ever feel like saving money on fuel, I will steal my wife's Scion... :crazy2:

Heavy Clutch: I drove automatics for the last 12 years. I LOVE having a clutch now, no matter how heavy it is.

No room: Don't need it. It's just the wife and me. And I can fit golf clubs or hockey gear in the back, so it's all good.

I will say that using it as a daily makes the flaws really show. The a/c never really cools the car (at least in way too hot Phoenix), the front facia takes a few scrapes, and sitting in traffic agravates me because this car was built to run. But at the end of the day when I park the car I still have huge smile on my face because of everything this car means to me...

And that's what it's all about. :)

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where'd the tow truck driver hook onto your car at without the strap/chain damaging bodywork? Did the driver bring any ramps of any kind?

How'd he manage to do "Minimal scrapeage" after the first effort?

Well, after the first scrape and my dirty looks I think he realized that this wouldn't be an easy tow. It went something like this:

Pull tow truck as far forward as possible.

Lay down bed as close to ground as possible.

Hook chains to rear suspsnsion and pull tow truck towards the car.

Once the rear gets close to the bed, raise bed slightly.

Put blocks under rear tires.

Pull truck back towards car.

Once front facia touches ground agian, lift truck bed slightly.

Put blocks under front tires.

Pull car up onto tow bed.

An easier explanation would be that the tow truck did all the moving and the car stayed still. It was actually kind of interesting to watch.

As for the chains and the body work, he conected on to the rear frame just behind the A-arms. The chains tugged a little on the rear facia, but there was no visible damage. The exhaust gave a little scrape going up the ramp as well. No visible damage there either. :2tu:

It was quite the experience and I hope to not have to repeat it ever again. :rolleyes:

frank364

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a Broken Half shaft a few weeks ago, I have the Chrysler Extended warranty package including towing. After an hour we successfully loaded the car on the roll back. When I picked up my viper... yep they scrapped the heck out of the bottom of the front end fairing. Contacted Cross Country Auto and was assured by Bob that they would handle the claim, they asked for an estimate which I provided. I explained that we had taken pix during the tow.

Tried to fax estimate... the fax number they supplied would not accept faxes.

Tried to call... Bobs voice mail is full.

So I scanned the estimate and emailed it to Bob. No response.

I call Bob a week or so later and he says he didn’t receive my email.

Long story short, Bob will not return phone calls or emails. Now Bob tells me that I need to go after the towing company...

Question: Since I paid for towing thru Chrysler and they sub contracted the towing, shouldn’t they be liable or is Bob right and I need to go after the towing company for reimbursement?

They say that they are only the insurance agency and not liable for damages, if this is so then why do they have a claims department?

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it a dealership that recommended the towing company? If so, I think they should be liable for the damage. Any lawyers out there want to chime in on this?

If "Bob" won't give you the answer you want, try to get a hold of someone above him. It wouldn't hurt to contact someone at the towing company as well and give them a heads up on what is going on.

Good luck!

frank364

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I had called Bob's supervisor whom wouldn’t return my phone call, so I contacted the next level of supervision.

When I broke down I called the roadside assistance number, they then contact the towing company of their choice.

I will take your advice and contact the towing company on Monday.

Frank